TinyMCE editor not visible in 2.5 & other glitches

TinyMCE editor not visible in 2.5 & other glitches

by John Edmiston -
Number of replies: 32

I have just upgraded to Moodle 2.5 and there are several glitches:

a) The TinyMCE editor does not appear even in collapsed form even though it is enabled, eye is open, etc. I just get a plain text field with all the HTML code etc. Also there is no "edit hand" just a small cog. 

b) Once I get off the Home page and into the individual course some of the links e.g. users, site administration, etc do not work except from the Home page.

c) I do not seem to be able to get the Home page to have a self- enrollment or Paypal enrollment link so students can enroll themselves.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to John Edmiston

Re: TinyMCE editor not visible in 2.5 & other glitches

by Lynn Harvey -

My TinyMCE toolbar is also not visible. 

using version Moodle 2.5+ (Build: 20130621).
After upgrading to this version the Edit box that contains HTML displays maybe once in HTML, but thereafter as text only on any editable page, course or frontpage.  Also had test server running on earlier weekly 201305xx version which always displayed HTML. until I updated to this version and then same fault occurred.'

The tab 'Hide editing tools' is not visible.

by Ulrich Agricola -

I have the same problem concerning TinyMCE. Even though Tiny is enabled and profile preferences are set to HTML, I only get a plain text field.

This is not usable for non webbies like our English trainers!

In reply to Ulrich Agricola

by Boris Puhanic -

Me too, same problem with the TinyMCE editor after upgrading to 2.5.  I made a seperate post about it, but haven't received any responses, so I thought I'd join in here. Also, drag and drop is not working anymore.

In reply to Boris Puhanic

by Hanan Keren -

Hi all,

I have moodle 2.5 (Build: 20130514) and the TinyMce is fine. I installed the system without upgrading from a older version.

It sounds that something went worng in the upgrade.

From what version did you upgrade from?

Hanan

Atarplpl

by Ulrich Agricola -
In reply to Ulrich Agricola

by Bill Dika -

The fix at the link above did not work for me, but I discovered that if I turn off editing in the course then the editor shows up.
Hope this is a little help to some one stuck.

Does anyone know how to correct this?

Any help would be much appreciated.

bdika

In reply to Bill Dika

by Boris Puhanic -

Hi Bill,

if you are using a customized theme, it may be what's causing the problem.

See: https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=231272

Try changing your theme.

Boris.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Boris Puhanic

by Bill Dika -

Thanks Boris.

You were right. I changed the theme and now it is working as expected.

bdika

In reply to Bill Dika

by Eugene Venter -

Hi guys,

I had a similar problem and it is indeed theme-related. I fixed this issue in my theme by editing the layout files (i.e frontpage.php and general.php) and adding class="block-region" to div elements with id="region-pre" or id="region-post"

Hope this helps ;)

Eugene.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Eugene Venter

by prafful garg -

I had the same problem after upgrading to moodle 2.5 from 2.4.3 I solved the problem by changing the order of the editor in available text editors screen. TinyMCE HTML editor should be installed and has to be at the top.

In reply to prafful garg

by Kenyon Brown -

I am looking at this years later following an upgrade to 3.0. I just ran into the same issue and moving TinyMCE to the top of the list of editors resolved it for me. Just wanted to let folks know this resolution may also work for them upgrading to 3.0. Thanks!

In reply to Bill Dika

by Janet Hale -

This little trick also worked of me! There is really no other way to get the TinyMCE to show up on our installed version unless we have the main course edit button off. When you then go into the lesson settings and edit it will show up. I am thankful someone shared that because this works now.

Course Edit OffLesson Edit Button

by Miriam Laidlaw -
Picture of Plugin developers

I have just experienced this same problem, except to add something strange to the mix - it doesn't happen for everyone.

I see the tiny MCE editor just fine on all my computers, but when I got into work today (day after upgrade) my workmate showed me that the editor does not show up on her computer (same model and everything as my work computer). It doesn't matter which browser she uses (all the same as the ones installed on mine), it won't show on hers. Her Moodle profile settings are all the same as mine as well.

Very weird!

In reply to Miriam Laidlaw

by Christine Healey -

Miriam - your problem is identical to the one we have. I can see TinyMCE, but one of the tutors can't. Did you manage to sort out your problem? And if so, how?

by doug hinkle -

Here is an interesting one for you. I was working in my 2.5.x installation today using IE, Firefox and Chrome. I was working on 3 different machines building courses. I was adding descriptions to the courses and topics. Everything was working fine and my tinymce editor was visible. I took a break for about an hour and started working again only to find that I no longer had the editor on anything. I was working on my Windows 8 machine so I thought it might have something to do with it. I tried all three browsers but no luck. I then went to my windows 7 machines and it was missing from all three browsers on those machines also. I thought that someone might have changed something on our server but tried another installation of Moodle 2.5.x and everything was working on it. I have tried every trick recommended by others in the forums with no luck. We did not install any updates or upgrade anything on the site today.

In reply to doug hinkle

by Sakshi Goel -

Hello Doug ,

Please once check in your profile setting page what type of editor you are using for editing text in site. It should be set to 'Use HTML editor' .

In reply to Sakshi Goel

by doug hinkle -

I found a post on another site that said to move the TinyMCE editor to the top of the list in Site administration>Plugins>Text editors>Manage editors. This allowed me to see the editor again but it is inconsistent. On some courses it shows immediately and on others, I have to change the drop down box to HTML Format, save changes and then begin editing again before I see it. The troubling thing is that this appears to have happened spontaneously. Nobody was working on the server, nothing was updated within Moodle, I was the only one in Moodle the entire day and everything was working fine up until when I took a break. The only thing different was that I began editing with a windows 8 machine after the break which is when I realized there was a problem. I then went back to the Windows 7 machine to check and it had the same problem.

In reply to Sakshi Goel

by doug hinkle -

I found a post on another site that said to move the TinyMCE editor to the top of the list in Site administration>Plugins>Text editors>Manage editors. This allowed me to see the editor again but it is inconsistent. On some courses it shows immediately and on others, I have to change the drop down box to HTML Format, save changes and then begin editing again before I see it. The troubling thing is that this appears to have happened spontaneously. Nobody was working on the server, nothing was updated within Moodle, I was the only one in Moodle the entire day and everything was working fine up until when I took a break. The only thing different was that I began editing with a windows 8 machine after the break which is when I realized there was a problem. I then went back to the Windows 7 machine to check and it had the same problem.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to doug hinkle

by Christine Healey -

Doug  - I've just tried your trick of changing the dropdown box to HTML, then saving changes, then going back to edit and this worked!

Worth trying this, folks. But you need to do all the other things (like move TinyMCE to the top of the list)

by Derek Chirnside -

Miriam, I am just checking in with people on this thread.

Some fixes did not work for me change theme, turn editing OF on home page, ensure editor was at the top of the choices etc

Did you get this solved?

-Derek

by Jean-Marc Doucet -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

+1

Moodle 2.6 (Build: 20131118)  Firefox 26.0 Vista 

Thème Essential 2013120200 (idem with Clean)

I posted in french technical forum too

It"s not funny sad

jm

In reply to Jean-Marc Doucet

by Doug Moody -

I teach using Moodle. This issue comes up occasionally with my students. They all use Windows 7, and it usually only affects one Windows7 machine at a time.

I mandate students use Google Chrome as their browser. So, when it crops up, I go to the Chrome settings on that machine and reset them to the default for Chrome. This usually fixes it.

There seems to be some connection to Ajax, as near as I can tell. Hope this helps.

In reply to Doug Moody

by Jean-Marc Doucet -

Hi Doug,

I tested with Chrome  it is the same thoughtful.

I made Boot computer and I have some msg from my antivurus abut Java (?) I'll try to update it ..

Uninstall + install java update + update plug in Firefox + reboot = the same bug ...

It is amazing angry

by Doug Moody -

Jean-Marc,

I wonder if it is worth the time to track down this bug? Sujpposedly Moodle 2.7 is going to replace the TinyMCE edtor with another one. 2.7 will come out soon.

Can you wait for the update?

In reply to Doug Moody

by Jean-Marc Doucet -

Hi Doug,

it is worse I cant work with any theme !! 

MDL-43573

by Christine Healey -

And now the tutor who couldn't see TinyMCE at all (I deleted his profile and set up a new one - which worked) can only see the editor in SOME activities and labels.

It's not anything he is doing:  I logged in with his username and password and have EXACTLY the same problems, and in the same places - which suggests this is attached to Moodle itself and is nothing to do with a browser or windows version (we are working in separate buildings on our personal computers, not on a network etc.)

In my own login, everything is working - but now I'm wondering for how long...

I've followed all the advice in this forum, by the way (I'm the admin)

In reply to Christine Healey

by Steve Ambro v3.8 -

Check your browsers.  I found that IE11 gave me problems.  IT was released Nov7th and that is when my problems started. I hear that there is a tracker fix for it but can't seem to find it now.

Maybe it is just a browser choice.

In reply to Steve Ambro v3.8

by Christine Healey -

Would that it were so simple, Steve mixed - I am using Firefox, the tutor uses Chrome. As I said, when I log in with his details, on my computer (which works fine with my login) I get exactly the same effect.

In reply to Christine Healey

by Doug Moody -

I think I discovered the root of this issue.

In

In reply to Doug Moody

by Jean-Marc Doucet -

Hi Doug,

thank you a lot ! 

It is not confortable and with only simple texte in the box editor. sad

jm