Mark page as viewed

Mark page as viewed

by Jennifer Needs -
Number of replies: 7

Hi there,

I'm quite a new Moodle user, so apologies if this is a stupid question.
I know that Activities can be marked as completed, but can this apply to Resources (e.g. Pages) too?  On the "Activity_completion_settings" documentation page (sorry, I can't include links in my post until tomorrow, as links aren't allowed in a user's first post) it says "a Page might have the requirement to require view" but since this is talking about Activity completion settings, I don't think it means a Page.  I can't see a way to add a Page as if it's an Activity.

Anyway, currently my course contains a great number of pages, and I would like my students to be able to mark these as read, in the same way an Activity can be marked as completed.  Is this possible?  I notice someone posted a similar request back in 2004 (I'll provide the link tomorrow).  I have also come across the checklist plug-in (link to follow).  Is the plug-in the only way of achieving what I need?

Thank you,
Jenny

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jennifer Needs

Re: Mark page as viewed

by Christian Herman -

The Page resource has 3 completion options:

The first option is obviously no activity completion.

The second option will allow the student to click the completion checkbox after they have read it.

If you select the bottom option, check the box below the menu.

Students will then be automatically marked as completed once they open the resource.  From what I've diffused from other threads, there's currently no way natively in Moodle to mark completion based on how long they viewed the resource.

In reply to Christian Herman

by Jennifer Needs -

Thank you, Christian.

I'm attaching a screenshot of the options I get when I add a new page.  There are very few options at all, and nothing about activity completion.  Is this something I can ask an administrator to switch on?

Thanks,
Jenny

By the way, here are the missing links from my original post:
"Activity_completion_settings" documentation page: http://docs.moodle.org/23/en/Activity_completion_settings
a similar request from 2004: https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=10741
checklist plug-in: https://moodle.org/plugins/view.php?plugin=mod_checklist

Attachment AddPage.JPG
In reply to Jennifer Needs

by Christian Herman -

Ah, yes. Activity completion must first be enabled at the site level by an administrator.  The setting is in Site Administration > Advanced Features and mark the Enable Completion Tracking checkbox.  Once that's turned on, go to the settings for your course and ensure that completion tracking is enabled in the Student Progress section.  Once completion tracking is enabled at the site level any new courses and activities will automatically have it turned on, but existing courses and activities will need to have the feature activated one by one.

by Jennifer Needs -
Thanks Christian. I've emailed my administrator. Suddenly realised Completion Tracking wasn't enabled for activities either. Was sure I'd seen that it was, but that must have been a previous version of the site (we are quite new moodlers). Thanks very much for your help smile Jenny

by Floyd Saner -

Jennifer,

Yes, completion tracking does work for page resources. Do you have completion tracking enabled for your site/course?

Go to the Site Administration block, and in the search box at the bottom, type the word, completion, then press enter.  You will see several places where completion tracking needs to be enabled.

When completion tracking is enabled at the site level, there will be tracking settings in the Course Administration Settings area.

Floyd

In reply to Floyd Saner

by Jennifer Needs -
Thanks Floyd. I've emailed my administrator. Suddenly realised Completion Tracking wasn't enabled. Thanks very much for your help smile Jenny