Workshop: Peer assessment viewing options

Workshop: Peer assessment viewing options

by Eric Strom -
Number of replies: 10

Would anyone see a value to having assessments by peers available to other students that are reviewing the same submission? Ideally in one teacher's situation they would like student to be able to view other reviews of the same work once the student has submitted their own assessment (and not before).

The only way I think this can be done currently is setting permissions once peer-assessments have been completed to allow student role to view assessments. And that would be for every submission.

Worth submitting as a new feature request?

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Eric Strom

Re: Workshop: Peer assessment viewing options

by David Mudrák -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Conceptually, I would like such feature. Being able to compare own assessment with others would also help to explain the received grade for submission. And the learning benefits are obvious. So yes, this definitely fits the way I would like to see the workshop module evolving.

I suggest that these "other" assessments are displayed at the final workshop phase only, if it is allowed (at the moment, only the assessed submission and own assessment is available).

I'm not sure if the teacher's feedback on those assessment should be available, too. Should this be configurable as well?

And yes, please report this as a feature request so we can let the community vote for it. Thanks in advance Eric!

In reply to David Mudrák

by Eric Strom -

I would prefer that the timing of the "other" assessments is manageable by the instructor is some way. But the new feature here really would be making assessments available while the assessment phase is still active. In a similar way to how the workshop optionally allows assessment by a student immediately after their own submission has been entered, I see the benefit of a student being able to view any "other" peer-assessments immediately after they have submitted their own assessment.

Instructors could set it such that all peer-assessments are available in the Final phase. But this can already be done (although not automatically) with modification of permissions.

In reply to Eric Strom

by David Mudrák -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

WRT being able to see other assessment during the assessment phase - I can see a risk that the assessor would amend their own assessment according to how others have assessed the same submission. Students would shortly realize that this way, they can actually achieve better grades for assessments (if the "comparison with the best assessment" evaluation is used). Also, the first reviewer can not compare their own assessment with anybody else while the last one has a benefit of having all other assessments available (which are clearly unfair conditions). That was why I suggested to make those assessments available only when the workshop is closed.

Also note that at the moment, Workshop does not allow assessments immediately after their own submission. That feature (known as overlapping of the submission and assessment phase) is planned. And it will be implemented in a way that if the student decides to start with the assessment phase, they will no longer be able to amend their own submission.

In reply to David Mudrák

by Eric Strom -

If I understand your point correctly, I would agree with you.

In the scenario I am imagining, we wouldn't want students to have access to other students assessments until they have submitted all of their required assessments of other students submissions. Once they have done this they would have access to view any other assessments associated with the submissions they were assigned to assess themselves.

We would like to do this while other class submissions are still getting assessed by peers. So a discussion phase on the project could begin.

I'm not expecting that assessments are available to students until they have submitted. Looking at the 'Allocate submissions' setting under the 'Scheduled allocation' tab where it specifies that 'Participants can assess without having submitted anything' brings to light that students by default are required to submit something before that can assess others work. We could similarly say that students are not allowed to view other assessments of a work until they have submitted their own evaluations assigned to them.

In reply to Eric Strom

by David Mudrák -

Ah - please mind the terminology. In workshop, the terms "submission" and "to submit" exclusively refer to submitting their work (submission) itself, not an assessment. So "Participants can assess without having submitted anything" means that an assessment can be allocated even to students who have not submit their own work.

I can imagine your use case that other peer-assessments should be available as soon as possible. But in that case, I believe it is required to "lock" their own assessment and prevent further editing. Note that as long as the workshop is in the assessment phase, students can return and amend their assessments.

In reply to David Mudrák

by Susan Martin -

I just assumed that students would be able to see each other's peer assessment and so am disappointed to find that they can't. I am new to the forum--how do I vote for this as a new feature? (I would vote for them only being able to see others' assessments once they have completed their own).

thanks, Susan

In reply to Eric Strom

by Lesli Smith -

Absolutely, I would see this as extremely valuable in a writing workshop draft exchange. It has been a whole year since I looked at the workshop module as a replacement for the extremely cumbersome forum exchange/assignment process I use in my Composition classes at the moment (despite my intent to not let another year pass using this method instead of the workshop module).  Let us know when you post the feature request, and I'll vote for it!

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Eric Strom

by Tony Coyne -

Within the Open University some courses are starting to make use of the Workshop. There has been an expression of interest in allowing students to see the assessment of other students. This would be more preferable in the closed phase, but I can see some benefits at an earlier phase provided students could not amend their reviews.

I am not sure if these reviews are (or should be) anonymous when the capability is set, but the option should be there to keep the reviews anonymous.

Quite happily vote for this feature.

In reply to Tony Coyne

by Itamar Tzadok -

We have Group Peer Review activities with 3 phases: Presentation submission, Peer review, Presentation revision. In the Presentation revision phase, groups can access the reviews submitted by their reviewers and use them to revise their presentation and submit a revised copy. smile