Workshop or assignment for Self Assessment?

Workshop or assignment for Self Assessment?

by Joel Riddell -
Number of replies: 6

Hi,

I am trying to figure out the best process of allowing students to self assess themselves as one form of mark within a course. I don't really need them to actually submit anything as this will be just them self assessing themselves for their participation etc for the entire course.

I am also wanting to use a rubric for this self assessment.

Would it be best to setup this as a workshop or an assignment? If workshop is the best option can someone advise as to what settings I need to set?

Thanks so much

Joel

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Joel Riddell

Re: Workshop or assignment for Self Assessment?

by David Mudrák -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Both modules would work. If you plan to use the self-assessment with rubric only (without additional peer-assessment), I am pretty sure that the Assignment would be easier to set up and manage (no need to deal with phases, no messing up with the grading grade etc) for both you and mainly your students.

In reply to David Mudrák

by Joel Riddell -

Sounds good David, that definitely sounds like Assignment would be a better choice. What is the best practice to set this assignment up? Is it to give all the students Non-editing teacher roles? Are you able to restrict it so that they can only assess themselves and not other students?

Thanks

Joel

In reply to Joel Riddell

by David Mudrák -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Yes, the students would need to get a role like that in the context of the Assignment. However, good point on the the ability to restrict grading to self only. I don't think that the Assignment supports this. Also, all the self-assessments would be available to all the students. So it depends on how responsible your students are. If that is not an option for you, then you will need to choose the Workshop, I guess.

Although, there might be a way. You could use the separate groups mode in the Assignment, and have lot of single-member groups. Then, every user (as a grader) should have access only to the their group's members, which would be themselves only.

In reply to Joel Riddell

by Paula Clough -

Joel,

I agree with David that the assignment would be easier than the workshop. May I add one more suggestion, though?  What about adding each criteria for your rubric to quiz questions for a self evaluating quiz. The answers can have the description of each level of that criteria. The answers are weighted by the levels of the rubric. An answer at level 1 would be counted as would get the lowest percentage (say 25%).  An answer at level 2 would get the next higher (say 50%), 3 (75%), 4 (100%). The image attached shows one question as it would appear in the quiz. 

cool

Attachment criteria rubric.png
In reply to Paula Clough

by Joel Riddell -

Hi Paula,

Funny you mentioned that as I started playing around with a quiz yesterday and I think you are correct it is the best and easiest way to conduct a simple self assessment based on a rubric structure. Thanks so much for everyone's input, I think I will go with the quiz as that seems the most efficient way of achieving what I am trying to.

Thanks again

Joel

In reply to Paula Clough

by Dan McGuire -

Paula,

This is a brilliant use of the quiz that I have not seen previously.  Thanks