Workshop module for continuous enrollment?

Workshop module for continuous enrollment?

by Stephanie Sedgwick -
Number of replies: 3

Hi,

I teach at an online school where students can enroll at any point during the year.  This means that students will not be working on projects at the same time.  I am very interested in Project Based Learning and have started a group here at my school to discuss ways of doing it with our environment.  One of the things we would really like to do is peer evaluation.  So when we found out about the workshop module we were all excited.  Now it looks like we still need students to be in the same place at the same time.  Is there any way to use the workshop module for continuously enrolled students?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Stephanie Sedgwick

Re: Workshop module for continuous enrollment?

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

I don't have a solution for you, but I just wanted to make the point that the Workshop module is just one, highly formalised, way to do peer-assessment.

The key parts of peer review are:

• Student publishes their work online.
  • Other students review and comment.
  • Original student amends their work in light of the comments.

You can do that with, for example, the Database and Forum activities. Of course that is much less structured.

In reply to Stephanie Sedgwick

by David Mudrák -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
I agree with Tim. Workshop has been designed to be used by groups that go through each Workshop phase together. It is essential for the overall process. Each student's grade is influenced by other's assessments.
In reply to David Mudrák

by Elizabeth Dalton -

We have similar needs at our institution. The Database and Forum activities don't really fill these needs-- they are not only more structured, but have no way to assign and track reviewers.

I understand that the Workshop activity was created with a specific purpose in mind, but it contains several functions that I think many people want to be able to use in other circumstances:

• Defined rubric for review
  • Combination of multiple peer reviews to form a grade
  • Random and/or deliberate assignment of peer reviewers
  • Definition of a grade component based on quality of peer reviews

The first function is now available with the Advanced Grading feature of the Assignment activity. Perhaps it would be helpful to disaggregate the other functions, as well, so they could be made available to different activities (ideally by extracting the code from Workshop). This would leave the Workshop module to do what it was designed to do, but still allow the flexibility several Moodle administrators and users are asking for.

Aren't these related?

MDL-27238

Allowing overlapping phases: discussion and suggestions