Comments in Rubric assessment?

Comments in Rubric assessment?

by Mark Pearson -
Number of replies: 6

David,

What's the status of commenting in Rubric assessment? I'd dearly love to be able to switch to Rubric assessment but currently I cannot because commenting is essential to the process.

Mark

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Mark Pearson

Re: Comments in Rubric assessment?

by David Mudrák -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Mark,

as commented in MDL-37602, I'm still aiming for 2.5. There are less than 4 weeks until the code freeze now so I hope I will manage to finish this in time!
In reply to David Mudrák

by Alejandro Castillo -

Hey David!!

I find myself in the same situation. I have a nice rubric grid, but my students demanded an overall feedback option which I cannot seem to find in my updated moodle version. Is that type of action still possible?

In reply to Alejandro Castillo

by David Mudrák -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Alejandro.

The overall feedback feature is available in Moodle 2.5. You need to wait three weeks for the release yet.
In reply to Mark Pearson

by Paula Clough -

For a work around if you can't update, I use the Acumulative Grading in a "rubric style" so the rubric information is present and the comments can be seen.  I put in a two row table for one criteria in each aspect box so it looks like the rubric the students are used to seeing.  Picture included.

The only problem I had is that I neglected to tell someone that it wasn't a rubric grading on the settings page and it took me a while with David's help to find out what had happened. Once the setting were changed back all the comments etc. showed up again. Next time I will caution everyone involved (including myself smile) that it is the Acumulative grading on the settings page.

Paula cool

Attachment acum workshop rubric style.png
In reply to Paula Clough

by David Mudrák -

The only potential issue I can see with this approach is that if it was a real Rubric, the final grades would be calculated in a different way, leading to different results.

If it was real rubric with criteria levels (i.e. columns) 3, 2 and 1, the maximum grade for each criterion would be 3 and minimum grade would be 1. So if the reviewer chose 1 ("Not graduate work"), the final rubric grade would be 0 (the minimum).

As this is "faked" using the Accumulative grading and each criterion (or aspect as assessment dimensions are called in this grading strategy) has the best possible grade 3, the reviewer can grade each criterion using values 3, 2, 1 and 0. So if the reviewer chose 1 ("Not graduate work") for each criterion, the final grade will be still greater than zero - it would be 33% of the maximum (if all aspects use the same values).

That is why rubric creators are encouraged to use the grade 0 for the worse performance observed. I mean, if the grading was set to

• 2 = Scholarly
  • 1 = Acceptable
  • 0 = Not graduate work

and the best possible grade was set to 2 then the results would be same in both grading strategies.

In reply to David Mudrák

by Paula Clough -

David,

While I agree with you as that is how I was trained to make rubrics, that is not the philosophy of some of the instructors that I work with. If the work is poor across the board, they wouldn't even grade it. If they get all low grades, they have still failed the assignment. Since I am the support, not the teacher at this time, this one goes their way.   When using the rubric advanced grading strategy in assignments, they have to put the zero column in to make it work properly, they just don't use it.

Paula cool