Peer assessment of group participation

Peer assessment of group participation

by Amanda Doughty -
Number of replies: 2
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers

We need something very similar to the feature described here: https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=168165 and here: https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-37881

We need to be able to apply a weighting to a group grade for each member of the group, based on their participation. Each group member must give an assessment (say 1-5) of each of the other members' contribution.

I would like to know:

1. Can this be achieved using the workshop activity? If so how?

2. Can it be better achieved using roles/gradebook rubics or something else that already exists?

3. If the answer to both of the above is no. What is the best approach to a solution? Eg Assignment feedback plugin, Workshop evalution plugin, new activity?

Thank you

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Amanda Doughty

Re: Peer assessment of group participation

by David Mudrák -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Amanda.

Can you elaborate a bit and describe your use case into more details please. I believe that the Workshop module can be used at least partially in your scenario.

If I understood correctly, group members are to assess each other members' contribution to some project or similar group/team activity. In that case, I would suggest:

• Create a Workshop in Separate groups mode.
  • Let each Workshop participant to submit a short text that describes (in their own words) how they see their role and contribution in the common task.
  • Use the random allocator to allocate submissions. If you set the number of reviews per submission high enough (i.e. more or equal the number of group members), the allocator will allocate each submission to all other members in the group.
  • You can optionally allow self-assessment.
  • Construct the assessment form in a way that the grade reflects the user's participation in the task.
  • Interpret the calculated grading grade as a indicator of common sense rather than a real grade.

What I don't understand is what you mean by "apply a weighting to a group grade for each member of the group, based on their participation".

In reply to David Mudrák

Re: Peer assessment of group participation

by Leona Norris -

Hi David,

Thanks for getting back to us. In this particular case this is a group submission (one person submits a file on behalf of the group) along with individual submission of peer grades (a score of 1-5 for each of their team member’s contribution, with a brief comment on their performance). For this process there are two grades entered - one by the students (1-5) for their peer grade and one from the academic as the coursework grade (out of 100).

These scores will be calculated based on the deviation of the student result from the group average score and the final result will impact directly on student coursework grades for the module – rather than being presented as a separate assessment component. Basically, the individual’s final peer grade is added or subtracted to the coursework grade based on whether their individual peer grade is higher or lower than the group average grade. If students doesn't complete the peer assessment they will be deemed to have awarded their colleagues a grade of zero.

I have outlined the steps to the process below, along with the calculations:

Stage 1: Student submission and Peer Grade [Coursework state: Submission open]

1. A student submits a coursework on behalf of the group (group submission) and then gives a grade (1-5) for each team member’s contribution or Peer Assessment Grade (PA). 

2. The remaining students in the group then gives each other a grade for their contribution to the team or Peer Grade (PA).

Note:

• The file submission should be shown to all group members.
  • The student’s submitted peer grades should only be displayed to that student and not all group members.
  • Each student should be able to add their own individual peer grades.

Stage 2: Due date passes and academic grading [Coursework state: Submission closed]

1. If a student has given no PAs then all group members will be given a PA of ‘0’.

2. Final peer assessment grade is calculated (FinalPA)

Work out the individual student PA average:

IndAvg= Sum total of the individual student’s PA / No. of PA the individual student has received from group members

Work out the group’s PA average:

GrAvg = Sum total of all PA in the group / No. of PA in the group

Work out the Final PA:

If IndAvg > GrAvg then

FinalPA = (IndAvg - GrAvg) x 5

If IndAvg < GrAvg then

FinalPA = (GrAvg - IndAvg) x 5

3. Academic gives a group coursework grade out of 100 (C)

4. Final grade is calculated (FinalGr)

If IndAvg > GrAvg then

FinalGr = C - FinalPA

If IndAvg < GrAvg then

FinalGr = C + FinalPA

I hope this makes sense.

Many thanks,
Leona