Quiz Closing Attempt during in-progress Quiz

Quiz Closing Attempt during in-progress Quiz

by jason everling -
Number of replies: 8

I have an issue with the quiz function. We are using moodle 2.2.6+ and this morning when a class was taking a quiz it kicked them out and marked the attempt as closed even though they still had 45min left on the timer. The quiz settings are 1 attempt allowed and have specified an IP Subnet.

I checked Cron to make sure it wasnt because it was running, it happened at 11:39am and cron runs every hour.

This happened in the past, maybe 1 or 2 students but this time it was the majority of the class.

Help!!!! Why would it close an in-progress quiz and submit it automatically for them?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to jason everling

Re: Quiz Closing Attempt during in-progress Quiz

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

The Moodle quiz does not do that.

I don't know what happened, but it was not the normal functioning of the quiz code. You need to find out what acutally happened.

In reply to Tim Hunt

by jason everling -

I looked through the logs and I dont see anything unusual. All though in Apache Logs I see , 

[Mon Feb 11 11:39:53 2013] [error] [client 10.200.2.127] Database transaction aborted automatically in /var/www/moodle/mod/quiz/processattempt.php, referer: http://moodle2.bshp.edu/mod/quiz/attempt.php?attempt=7565&page=3

MySQL Logs are clean, no errors.

I can tell you that this has happened to us multiple times but never a hige amount of people. The user gets completly logged out and the quiz is auto submitted. I have been in the room at times and have seen it happen.

Maybe our testing labs PCs? We use Enhanced WriteFilter configuration on the Windows OS and use Firefox. Could this be caused by a session thing? since the entire C:\ is write protected?

Jason

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

That PHP error is being caused by users being logged on. What authentication system are you using?

The users just being logged out will not cause the quiz to be submitted. When they user logs back in, if there is still time left, they should be able to go back to the quiz and continue from where they had got to.

In reply to Tim Hunt

by jason everling -

We are using Jasig CAS for authentication backed by Active Directory. They are logged out and when they log back in it will not let them continue because it has been submitted. Just as if the student had actually clicked submit.

Does the time on the Client PC's matter? They are way off, like more than 8 hours. Reason being is because they are Laptops stored in a cart just for testing with WriteFilter Enabled so that whatever changes are made during a session it always maintains the same image. The web servers and sql server are sync'ed to the exact second though.

Also, these Quiz's/Courses Faculty use are used every semester. They do not create a new quiz/course every semester they just change the questions around.

I am trying to figure this out because it wasnt the majority of the class before but now it has become an issue.

What else would cause this to happen? I know its not the way it is suppose to work but it happens. I posted a response in the link I sent before to see if he was able to fix the issue and what was.

by Tim Hunt -

Current time on the client computer does not matter, but when viewing a single page, it is importnat that time on the client computer flows at the rate of about 1 second per second.

To put it another way, when a page of the quiz loads, there is the information like "Time will expire in 123 seconds", and so, when 123 seconds have passed according to the clock on the client computer, and if that page of the quiz is still visible, and if the user is still logged in, then the quiz will by automatically submitted.

In Moodle 2.2.x, if the user is not logged in and looking at a page of the quiz when time expires, then the attempt will never be submitted, but, after time has expired, they will not be able to continue.

In Moodle 2.3+, after time has expired, if the student tries to continue, then one of three things will happen, depending on what option you chose. That is, it is up to the teacher whether it auto-submits or not.

I cannot guess why it is not working as expected for you. If you want to work it out, you need to turn Debugging up to DEVELOPER level, and trace through the code to work out that is acutally happening.

In reply to Tim Hunt

by jason everling -

Ok I turned debugging on to Developer and left the Display on Page to no so it just writes it to the log files. I am going to try to get a faculty member to setup a non-counted toward grade quiz so we can see why its happening.

Thanks,

Jason

In reply to Tim Hunt

by jason everling -

Changing the time and time zone on all the laptops seemed to have done the trick. We had another exam today with 70+ students and not 1 of them got kicked out with it auto submitting the exam. I checked through the logs also and there not any errors with debugging on developer.

Hopefully that is all that was causing it but they are giving another exam in a few days so we will see how that one goes.

Jason

Average of ratings: Useful (1)