Quiz autosubmitting before time?

Quiz autosubmitting before time?

by Michael Aherne -
Number of replies: 5
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

We've had a few reports from students saying they are being "kicked out" of quizzes just before the timer reaches zero, and this seems to be borne out by the time taken field in their results. This is on a quiz with the following settings (on Moodle 2.3.2):

• Time limit: 30 minutes
  • When time expires: open attempts are submitted automatically

The students who claim to have been "kicked out" have times that are between 29 and 30 minutes.

Has anyone else experienced this? As far as I know the students were well within the opening and closing times of the quiz.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Michael Aherne

Re: Quiz autosubmitting before time?

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

This is worrying. Please can you try to work out what is going on.

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Michael Aherne -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Will do! I'm trying to get more information about what exactly the students perceived. I'm guessing it might be something to do with the time on the PC shifting while the student was doing the quiz (maybe automatically syncing the time with the domain controller or something), but it really is only a guess at the moment.

I'll let you know if I get any further with it.

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Michael Aherne -

I'm still not completely sure what's going on here, but I think it may be a problem with the time on our servers. We have a 4-node cluster of app servers which are all being synchronised to the university's NTP servers, but (for some reason or another) it's being done with ntpdate in a cron job rather than ntpd, and we've discovered that the clocks on a couple of the servers were drifting almost 5 seconds out between runs. This, coupled with the fact that our load balancer is no longer using sticky sessions, may have meant that the remaining time being reported on changing quiz pages was inaccurate.

I'm going to speak to our infrastructure guys to see if they can either get the server clocks synchronised within 1 second at all times, or reinstate sticky sessions on the load balancer so that a quiz attempt would all be served from a single node, and see if that helps.

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Thank you for investigating.

It is hard to see how a 5-second delay could be enough to throw things out, but I suppose that gets added on top of other delays. Let me know if you learn any more.

by jason everling -

Were you able to figure this out? Our server clocks both mysql and web servers are synced down to the second so that is not our issue but it is autosubmitting in progree quiz attempts before the timer reaches zero. Sometimes even after a few minutes of starting an attempt it happens,

Jason

Average of ratings: Useful (1)