How do I create an "inactive student role" that maintains a student's course data but removes their course access?

How do I create an "inactive student role" that maintains a student's course data but removes their course access?

by Steven Parker -
Number of replies: 6

I have seen others reference using an "inactive student role", I would like to create an "inactive student role" that:

• maintains the student's submitted course data (which is still accessible to teachers)
  • makes the course inaccessible to students and not visible on their MyMoodle page.

This functionality has been requested by teachers who want to manage their active/inactive student enrolments manually.

I have tried to clone a role based on the "student" and "guest" role but cannot find the permission to make the course inaccessible to students.

Can anybody advise me on a solution for making the courses inaccessible and so they do not appear on a student's MyMoodle page?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Steven Parker

Re: How do I create an "inactive student role" that maintains a student's course data but removes their course access?

by ben reynolds -

Not an answer, just a subscriber looking for a similar situation in 2+
In addition, we would like to allow same student to participate in other courses from which they have not been inactivated.
Without losing data.
And using csv to "unenroll/withdraw/remove" from only the selected course, but be able to return to course with all data intact.

In reply to ben reynolds

Re: How do I create an "inactive student role" that maintains a student's course data but removes their course access?

by Steven Parker -

Hi Benjamin

I think this feature is particularly important as where I work (SWSi) moves to sharing a single Moodle 'Mastercourse' between different teachers delivering to multiple student groups. For example being able to make the student inactive while still maintaining the data would be

• a more fail safe approach to data compliance without having to rely on teachers manually backing up or
  • inadvertently resetting the course on their colleagues.

Is there a feature request for this type functionality that anybody has seen?

Cheers

Steven 

by Andrea Bicciolo -
Hi,

if you are using Moodle 2.x, you could explore the possibility to suspend an user enrollment: http://docs.moodle.org/24/en/Unenrolment#Suspended_or_Unenrolled.3F

Courses where user enrollment are suspended do not appear in the user's My home page.
In reply to Andrea Bicciolo

by Steven Parker -

Thank you Andrea, the 'Suspended user enrolment' feature sounds like a suitable solution, I will look into further.

Cheers

Steven

In reply to Andrea Bicciolo

by Steven Parker -

Hi Andrea

The suspended user enrolment feature is good and seems to work really well for changing an individual's course access status to suspended however it would also be great if the status for an entire group could be changed from active to suspended within group settings. Do you know is that possible? 

Cheers

by Andrea Bicciolo -
Hi Steven,

In the link provided there it is described how to unenroll more than one user at a time, however the method it is not related to course group.