Less than 25 % of the lang strings are visible for students.

Less than 25 % of the lang strings are visible for students.

by Ralf Hilgenstock -
Number of replies: 15
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators

I've checked now the lang files in standard Moodle package and made a first analysis for translation priorities.

A standard language package includes nearly 400 language files and more than 17.500 strings  today. Most of the files are very small.

The files includes often strings that are used for admins, for teachers and for students. Butthere are also files with strings that are only visible for teachers and admins or only for admins.

Most translators wants to concentrate first on language elements that are visible for students. The attached EXCEL file includes a list of all language files, the numberof strings and a short descriptions that should help to understand what this file is about. In the first column you'll find a categorization with priorities for translation.

Priority A means should be translated. This category includes files with strings which are visible for students. This doesn't mean all strings are visible for students.

Priority B means strings are used for teacher views. In some cases this also means the strings are from an activity or module that is not used as often as the modules in category A.

Priority C includes admin only language elements and seldom used modulesor modules that are not very often enabled. 

The priorization is based on my personal experience. I'm more than happy to get feedback an suggestions to optimize by other users.

Nearly 50% of the strings and files are for admin only or categorized with low priority C. One quarter of the strings are categorized in B and A. Than means ~4.500 strings could be visible for students.

The files 'core' (1.600 strings) and core_admin (990 strings)  are priorized with 'A'. Both files include two third  or more of strings that are invisble for students. This are the largest lang files in Moodle system. But we have no simple scheme to find the 'admin only' strings in the file.

My personal calculation is that ~ 3.000 strings are visible for students only.

Average of ratings: Useful (7)
In reply to Ralf Hilgenstock

Re: Less than 25 % of the lang strings are visible for students.

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Wow this is excellent - thanks. I have been thinking of working some more on my en_kids (Moodle language for young children) and realised that much of what I saw would not affect what the children see and much too would not be viewed by their teachers. This is really useful.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by André Yamin -

Nice job, Ralf!

Thanks for sharing! This would have been very usefull at our last brazilian portuguese translation sprint.

This let me thinking if some 'string metadata' would be usefull, like tags (teacher, admin, student etc).

Regards,

André Yamin.

In reply to André Yamin

by Ralf Hilgenstock -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators

Thanks André.
Do you think it makes sense to prepare a seperate document for core and core_admin. If it would be ok to do this only in a raw and unperfect version its not so complicate and can be done in 5-6 hours.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Ralf Hilgenstock -

Thanks Mary

As you know I made the first de_kids lang version. My starting point were the core and core-admin files. I run through and changed elements where I knew that they were visible for students. I've started with registration and login pages and processes. Perhaps it makes sense to start with the same strings for your version. Afterwards I thought about often used activities and concentrated on forum.

The de_kids version is not complete. I know. But I'm waiting for feedback to add missing areas. Personally I'm not working in primary schools or DaF (German as a second language) area. So real teacher can do it much better and give advices.

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Awesome Ralf,

I had made a small start on 'en_ar' after being roped into it by Julian R (pun intended).  This will be very helpful.

Cheers,

Gareth

by koen roggemans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Translators

Nice job Ralph - thanks a lot.

30% is a lot smaller number then I expected.

Re: Lang: core_admin strings are invisible for students and teachers

by Ralf Hilgenstock -

As the name of the file says: core_admin includes only strings for admins.  I made a check of all strings and found that none of the strings should be visible for students and teachers. Will do the same for core lang file next.

Re: Lang: core_admin strings are invisible for students and teachers

by Ralf Hilgenstock -

core_admin is also counted now with this result:

From ~ 1.600 strings:

600 strings are visible for students, not logged in users, and authentificated users
600 strings are visible for teachers
400 strings are für admins only.

I couldn't see for all strings which permission is required to see the string. So its only a rough overview. The xlsx file attached shows the results.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)

by Ralf Hilgenstock -

After checking the admin and core file we can summarize that the strings visible for students are 2.500 - 2.600 only.  Translators who want to start with the 'student strings' can start now with a much smaller package.

Is there anyone who can summarize this and add it to the docs?

by koen roggemans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Translators

Thanks a lot for your investigations, Ralph.

I'm trying to create documentation from it. 

In reply to koen roggemans

by koen roggemans -

I'm considering to take out the numbers of strings per file from your first spreadsheet, Ralph.

They'll be wrong in a months time anyway. Besides, it is the priority that counts.

For the moodle_core file - I appreciate your work for statistics purpose and to have an idea of how important it is, but looking at it string per string seems a bit much to me to offer as documentation. So, based on your research, I would like to descide to give the file as a whole a rating A,B or C: I suggest to give it an A (because of the majority of strings is A and only 1/4 is C-rated)

by Ralf Hilgenstock -

Hello Koen,

yes I agree. The numbers of strings were relevant only for the calculation but they will be outdated very shortly. Its not required to have exact numbers of strings. 
I think we can summarize several types of lang files if they are similar, like enrole or questiontypes.  This makes the overview more readable.

I also agree with the suggestion about  moodle_core.

ralf

by koen roggemans -

Thank you for your comment Ralph.

Good point on summarizing types of files; I'll see what I can do there, becaus it is a loooong document smile

by koen roggemans -

This is the initial documentation page for translation priority

http://docs.moodle.org/23/en/Translation_priority

Thanks a lot for your work Ralph.