Language customization - error reading from database

Language customization - error reading from database

by Mia Musolino -
Number of replies: 5

I am trying to edit text strings in moodle 2.3 but I get an error "error reading from database" after the language pack loads and I specify the components and  text string to search for. The debug error message reads as in attached text file.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mia Musolino

Re: Language customization - error reading from database

by Germán Valero -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi,

Did you recently install a new plugin or theme? Some plugins and themes are known to have caused this type of problems before (check the forums).

Were you able to edit language strings before? When was the last time you could successfully edit language strings and what changes did you do in the server (plugins, themes, etc) after that?

Does the error also appear if you try to edit a different language or components? (if you do not have any other, try installing other language to see if the same error appears).

In reply to Germán Valero

by Mia Musolino -

Thanks -- I'm new to moodle so I had never customized the language before. We do have some plugins and themes installed but have settled on the Formal White theme for now so I could uninstall the themes.

To start, I will try editing a different language and see if it changes anything.  Then I will uninstall the plugin themes I installed that I am not using and see if that helps. Will report back.

In reply to Mia Musolino

by Mia Musolino -

I removed the enrol_apply plugin and three themes that I'd installed but was not using. Still getting the error. I'm using all of the other plugins and there are no other themes I've added. I installed the en_us language in addition to the default en language and tried again but got the same error even before I get to the parameters page to select the php files to search.

The Only other plugins I have installed are: Certificate, Accessibility, Configurable Reports, and Count of User Log Records. All else is standard Moodle 2.3.

Any other suggestions?

In reply to Mia Musolino

by Germán Valero -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Can you please go to the site administration block and click on plugins, plugins overview and click on the button named "Check for available updates".

If there are updates available for your installed plugins, then remove the old plugin folder before installing the new version UNLESS the plugin author suggests otherwise. Read the plugin additional info and comments for details.

I think you might have an old version of a plugin or theme causing that database error. Please check again for any installed non-standard plugins and themes and remove them completely (if possible), or at least for one test try at language configuration).  I am a Moodle translator (mexican spanish) and I had that error a couple of times before; and it was either a theme or a plugin recently installed; and when removed the error disappeared. I think those plugins have since been updated and no longer cause the problem.

I use the certificate plugin a lot and I installed and checked the rawrecordscount report, and the configurable reports block and neither caused problems for language edition. The accesibility block sends a warning but language modification still works.

In reply to Mia Musolino

by David Mudrák -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Mia. Thanks for attaching the error log. It contains very useful information to debug this issue.

I am afraid that in this case, we can't blame your contributed plugins. There was a bug in the language customization tool itself - MDL-26348. The bug affected Oracle databases only and your site is apparently running at Oracle database. That bug was fixed in Moodle 2.3.2. Please upgrade your Moodle to the most recent 2.3.x version to get rid of this issue.
Average of ratings: Useful (2)