Post upgrade php errors

Post upgrade php errors

by Dustin Peet -
Number of replies: 9

Recently I upgraded our moodle from 1.9.7 to 2.2.4+.  The upgrade finally went through, but as I'm checking the php-errors.log file I'm seeing error exceptions being thrown that I didn't see when we were on 1.9.7.  The errors all seem to point to the same file initially :

[31-Jul-2012 17:36:12 UTC] Default exception handler: A required parameter (identifier) was missing Debug:
* line 435 of \lib\setuplib.php: moodle_exception thrown
* line 504 of \lib\moodlelib.php: call to print_error()
* line 33 of \help.php: call to required_param()

When I go to line 435 of /lib/setuplib.php I'm seeing the call to including zend, which we are not using at all.

ini_set('include_path', $CFG->libdir.'/zend' . PATH_SEPARATOR . ini_get('include_path'));

My question is, can I just comment out this line and will that solve my issues?  There are hundreds of these errors...

Thanks for the help

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Dustin Peet

Re: Post upgrade php errors

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Is that the complete trace? If not let's have it.

I think you're reading it back to front. The problem actually starts in help.php which is looking for 'identifier' to be passed to it. The question becomes, what is calling help without a parameter.
In reply to Howard Miller

by Dustin Peet -

Yes that is the complete trace of that record in the log.  Here are several others (sequentially)

[31-Jul-2012 17:36:12 UTC] Default exception handler: A required parameter (identifier) was missing Debug:

[31-Jul-2012 17:36:20 UTC] Default exception handler: A required parameter (identifier) was missing Debug:

[31-Jul-2012 17:36:24 UTC] Default exception handler: A required parameter (identifier) was missing Debug:

[31-Jul-2012 18:25:06 UTC] Default exception handler: A required parameter (identifier) was missing Debug:

[31-Jul-2012 18:25:08 UTC] Default exception handler: A required parameter (identifier) was missing Debug:

[31-Jul-2012 18:25:10 UTC] Default exception handler: A required parameter (identifier) was missing Debug:

[31-Jul-2012 18:46:46 UTC] Default exception handler: A required parameter (identifier) was missing Debug:

[31-Jul-2012 21:07:00 UTC] Default exception handler: Sorry, the requested file could not be found Debug:
* line 1568 of \lib\filelib.php: call to print_error()
* line 70 of \file.php: call to send_file_not_found()

[31-Jul-2012 21:07:00 UTC] Default exception handler: Sorry, the requested file could not be found Debug:

[31-Jul-2012 21:07:01 UTC] Default exception handler: Sorry, the requested file could not be found Debug:

[31-Jul-2012 21:07:01 UTC] Default exception handler: Sorry, the requested file could not be found Debug:

[31-Jul-2012 21:07:02 UTC] Default exception handler: Sorry, the requested file could not be found Debug:

They seem to start with something different (file.php, help.php) but all seem to end with the exception being thrown on line 435 of setuplib.php

In reply to Dustin Peet

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Yeh - but that's just the thing that displays the error. Don't get hung up on that.

Go to Site administration > Server > HTTP and untick 'Slasharguments' and save. Does this make any difference.

If it fixes it, good, but the question then is "what else did you change apart from upgrading Moodle"?

If it doesn't, can you (a) show us what the URL is when the error occurs, (b) tell us lots more about your system - versions of everythin etc.

by Dustin Peet -

I just unchecked the slashargs, we'll see what we get.  The only other thing that I changed was some of the settings in php.ini to account for the upgrade process (max_execution_time, debugging level, etc). 

As far as the URL where the error is occuring - I haven't heard anything from a user yet.  I'm just watching the php-errors.log file and trying to be proactive (post upgrade).  Due to the number of these errors that are showing up I'm sure that once school starts in a couple of weeks I will hear something more specific as the number of users will sky rocket.

More detail about my environment would probably be a good thing ;)

I'm running Moodle 2.2.4+ on IIS 7, with php 5.3.14 and ms sql 2005 (9.0) off box.  I think that should sum it up...

Thanks for the help Howard

by Dustin Peet -

the unchecking of Slashargs has not fixed it.  I'm still seeing several of the errors.  Any other ideas?

In reply to Dustin Peet

by Howard Miller -
Have you actually got real users complaining about something not working?

If you have we need to know what they were doing, what the url was etc.

We need to know how to reproduce this? Is there any chance that they are following an old, outdated url that they have bookmarked?

by Dustin Peet -

If/when I hear about this I will post back.  Thanks for taking a look

by Dustin Peet -

If/when I hear about this I will post back.  Thanks for taking a look

by Sarah Jane -

Hello Howard I too saw the same error messages and followed your advise and unticked 'Slasharguments' and saved. The error messages have completly gone. Is this a good thing? Should I be doing something else or is this ok to continue?

I saw these messages after I had upgraded to 2.2.7 in moodle and uploaded the theme rocket.

Thanks sarah x