Installation help

Server Space

Picture of Stacie Wooten
Server Space

I am wanting to use Moodle to teach from home. I will not be associated with any institutions and so I will not have access to server space unless I buy it. I need to know how much space to purchase to support about 50 students and where are some great suggestions on where to purchase server space. 

Average of ratings: -
Picture of Dan Trouten
Re: Server Space

Hey there! I'm up here (down here) in Greenville, SC. There are two ways to buy space. You can be on a shared server (which is like the old party line phone). You've got many people using the same server and same internet line. It can run slow the more people that are on it. The other way (which I use) is a private server. The least expensive way to do that would be a VPS. You would have your own IP address thus your own lane on the server. This is needed if you have most of your students online at the same time.

I use HostGator (http://www.hostgator.com/vps-hosting/). If you've never had your own server before then HG is the way to go. They have been SO helpful!!!

Another way is to buy space from someone like me. big grin Seriously though, if you've never had your own server before it's helpful if you know someone that can help you get stuff set up. If your city is the one (of 4) near me let me know. I'd be glad to help!!!

What'cha going to be teaching? We use the K12 program for our kids through a public charter school. I love virtual learning!!!

Picture of Visvanath Ratnaweera
Group Particularly helpful Moodlers
This is a running topic in the "Hardware and Performance" forum: http://moodle.org/mod/forum/view.php?id=596. Go through its recent discussions or refer the docs and other pointers given in the introduction to that forum.

Picture of Howard Miller
Group DevelopersGroup Documentation writersGroup Particularly helpful Moodlers
Do we all agree on what you mean by 'space'? Are you just asking who is the best host to go with or actually disk space etc.? Either way, we can't really answer that without more info because it all depends on what your 50 students will be doing on the system and how much disk space you are likely to use up with uploaded materials etc.

Picture of Stacie Wooten

I currently use Moodle in my classroom and put all of my resources onto it for my students to use. My classroom Moodle is supported by my school system. I wanted to use this same idea except from home. I will be putting my classroom resources on Moodle and will be teaching approximately 50 students. I have seen hosts with unlimited disk space but to be honest, I'm really new to this side of it all and frankly, the information is overwhelming and not easy to find.

Picture of Tammy Moore

It really isn't so much a disk space issue as it is RAM. Moodle needs quite a lot of it if you start having several concurrent students.

Server space comes in a few 'flavors'. There is shared hosting where hundreds if not thousands of sites are all on the same server sharing RAM and disk space. Then there is virtual dedicated hosting. In that one you have your own RAM (it isn't supposed to give you less than that amount) and disk space alotment and there are many, many fewer sites per server. Then there is dedicated hosting where your site is the only thing on that server.

Though there are many hosting companies that will offer one click installs of Moodle on shared hosting, my experience is that Moodle doesn't do well in a shared hosting environmant becuase the need for RAM in Moodle is often more than it gets in a shared setting. We outgrew shared hosting in about 1 year and then had to go through the complication of moving to virtual dedicated server with the same host provider. I recommend going with virtual dedicated hosting from the git-go. Virtual dedicated servers will give you a dramatically faster site as well because you get a set amount of RAM at any given time instead of sharing it with who knows how many hundreds of sites. When we were on shared hosting it would take about a minute for the page to load instead of a second or two we have now on virtual. 

Many Moodles are hosted on Go Daddy virtual dedicated servers. I hear that one mentioned frequently.

Picture of Stacie Wooten

Thank you. You guys have been a tremendous help. My husband mentioned Godaddy but, I wanted to be sure before purchasing anything.

Picture of Dan Trouten

I was with GoDaddy. I switched to HostGator because of the poor tech support I got for over a year. Just sayin....

Picture of Visvanath Ratnaweera
http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=193106

P.S. To remind you all that "Hardware and Performance" http://moodle.org/mod/forum/view.php?id=596 is the right place for discussing about hosting providers.

Picture of Priyanka Rawat

Hello,

I have built up a moodle website in shared server.But the problem is that my website is running quite slow..I have installed the php accelerator and done the compressions but not of much affect..

And since the time i have uploaded one course in my website..It has got more slow..can anyone please help me in this..

Thank you

Picture of shrikant gakhare

make sure db point to localhost and not ip address if db is in the same box.

Picture of Rick Jerz

You might check your server's memory to make sure that you are not running low.