Migrating courses from Moodle 1.9 to 2.2

This forum post has been removed

Number of replies: 19
The content of this forum post has been removed and can no longer be accessed.
In reply to Deleted user

Re: Migrating courses from Moodle 1.9 to 2.2

by Guillermo Madero -
In reply to Guillermo Madero

In reply to Deleted user

by Guillermo Madero -

Hi Andrew,

Well, you might no be upgrading in the strictest sense, but from a more relaxed point of view...

Anyway, it seems that restoring from 1.9 into 2.2 is not yet possible:

http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=193192

So, the solution would be:

1. Migrate your 1.9 site.
2. Upgrade the migrated site to 2.2 and then backup your courses.
3. Install a new 2.2 site and restore your courses.

http://docs.moodle.org/22/en/Moodle_migration

In reply to Deleted user

by John Ryan -

Hi Andrew,

Presumably when you link your courses to your MIS you will use one of the fields in the mdl_course table.

We use the idnumber field and set the system so that this field contains the reference code for the course in the MIS system.

All you need to do is find out the course codes from MIS and then make sure that the idnumber field of the courses that already exist match.

Good luck

by Amber Lee Mogg -

Quick question, wondering if someone can help me?

We are upgrading a Moodle 1.9.7 site to 2.2.2 and we chose to install a fresh installation package on a new sub-domain... so far so good...

But... I am trying to copy a course from the 1.9.7 site to the 2.2.2, by backing it up and restoring it in the 2.2.2 site.  Now here is where my problem comes in... the zipped backup file is 38MB (yes, it is a gigantic course so we are trying to find the least time consuming way to bring it into 2.2.2) and the maximum upload size is 7MB.  Any thoughts on how to increase the maximum upload size temporarily?

In reply to Amber Lee Mogg

by Glenn Pillsbury -

Hi Amber,

Your server PHP configuration will need to be modified to allow a larger file size.  The two settings that need to be adjusted are post_max_size and upload_max_filesize.  These settings are located in the php.ini file on your server.  Make them both the same amount.

Good luck.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Glenn Pillsbury

by Amber Lee Mogg -

Wow thank you so much for the quick reply and for sharing your knowledge!  I'll let you know how it goes. Have a fantastic day sad

In reply to Amber Lee Mogg

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

'Least time consuming' is one thing ... best for using after migration is another. :|  Afraid this will require some work.

Have been working on migration of 1.9.x sites to 2 ever since version 2.0.3 - now running 2.2.2+ - and ...

Have discovered a method by which one can restore large 1.9 courses to MDL 2.2.x using URL repo.  Matter of fact have successfully restored to a 2.2.2 a 1.5Gig 1.9.x course to a 2.2.2 MDL without having to  edit/change php.ini settings for size of file to upload.

In the 1.9.x site, there is an option - Site Admin menu, Courses, Backups - at the bottom of the form for sending backups to a server folder that's accessible via the web.  Have to create the directory manually (Moodle 1.9 will not create the directory for you) and assure apache user/group can read/see the folder.  In the 1.9 backup form, give the full path to that folder.  If the 1.9 can see it, you'll see a 'check' beside that part of the config.

Schedule the 1.9 backups to run.  Run the 1.9 cron job.  Check the folder created for the backups for backup zip files.

Once that is done, in the Moodle 2, enable the URL repo.

Create a new course in 2 giving minimal setup.  Don't have to assign teacher or do any tweaking (for now).  After creating the course, click restore and choose URL Downloader as the repo.  Copy and paste the full URL to the 1.9.x course backup located in the folder you created for backups.

Just follow the process ... **most important option**, to delete this course before restoring - it will wipe out the course you just created (yeah, know that sounds crazy!).  It will convert the 1.9 backup to a compat 2 version and restore.  **All links work.**  And best of all, the course restored this way has NO LEGACY!  There are some things which won't come across ... users, unfortunately is one of those.

'spirit of sharing', Ken

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Ken Task

by C R -

hi Ken, what boxes (Include Modules, Metacourse, Logs etc) did did you tick for backing up the courses on the 1.9? as we are moving to a fresh 2.3 install and want to move courses over. Thanks

In reply to C R

by Ken Task -

Unfortunately, the method described gets only the content of courses ... no users, no roles, etc.  It is like a course re-set on the move - something many K12 schools do in summer anyway. 

Had an issue with 2.3's URL downloader allowing the same as all previous versions of 2 would allow.  Posted in forum ... no response.  Guess using URL downloader repo for restoring courses is direction many won't go.  Shame, as it's server to server (many open sourced packages, like Joomla with DocMan, have such options) rather than download then upload.

If you desire it all (users,metacourses, logs, etc.), then site migration is the only path at present.

'spirit of sharing', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

by Derek Lawrie -

Hi Ken,

I was interested in trying out the URL downloader method of getting the courses into 2.2, even if it is ony the content. I tried setting it up as you suggested but when it comes to selecting the backup file I can't find anything.

Moodle can see the directory and is backing up there perfectly, but the URL downloader just says no files found if I give it the the URL of the backup file itself (which works if I put it in the browser) or just shows some icons (see the attached image) that apache is using to represent the files if I only pass in the directory.

I'm probably doing something different but I don't know what!

Regards

Derek

Attachment URL downloader.jpg
In reply to Derek Lawrie

by Ken Task -

Somewhere in the march upwards in 2, the URL downloader doesn't seem to recognize .zips - guess it's considered a potential security risk. 

A work-around ... change the filename extension to .png.  Yes, that's a graphic type file.  One still knows it's a zip.  Select the file and in the transfer process you will be prompted for how you'd like to save the file.  That's where one changes it back to .zip.  Restore routine now happy. ;)

'spirit of sharing', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

by Derek Lawrie -

Cheers Ken, I'll give that a try.

In reply to Derek Lawrie

by Ken Task -

Better hurry!!! or don't update until done!  That little 'backdoor' might close soon also. ;)  Do hope it works for you as, to me, it's more server efficient basically copying files from one server location to another.  Sure beats download only to have to re-upload.

'spirit of sharing', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

by Derek Lawrie -

Hmmm doesn't appear to work in 2.3.1, I know you were saying this before for 2.2, but I thought I'd give it a go anyway on the offchance. Moodle sees it fine and everything but the page just seems to hang as it "uploads" the file, even with courses that aren't that large (less than 100MB isn't too bad is it?).

Oh well I'll have to go back to the method I was using before, not the quickest but it mostly worked.

Thanks anyway Ken

In reply to Derek Lawrie

by Ken Task -

Decided to verify myself ... 1.9.x course to a 2.3.1 did work ... all though slower than anticipated.  Got impatient one time and when trying it again got prompted if I'd like to replace the file.  There's no 'progress indicator' on the 'upload' (really transfer) so one doesn't really know how far along one was if cancelling out.

Oh, well.  As long as they get there, right? ;)

'spirit of sharing', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

by Derek Lawrie -

I've got them all in now so shouldn't ever have to go through that process again.

I think the slowness with no progress indicator as you said is a pain, but the AV on my server also seems to be massively slowing the process down as well (I was SSHd in and watching the results from top)

I also got the replace file a couple of times, but I did try leaving a course going through the process whilst I went for lunch and it was still doing nothing when I came back.

Thanks for the idea and advice anyway, the png tip could be useful somewhere else!

In reply to Ken Task

by Doug Loomer -

Thanks so much for sharing this great work-around.  I just tested it on a 1.9 to 2.4 course migration and it worked like a charm (including the .png trick).  Joy!