forum posting for individual group or more of them, or building a new super-group

forum posting for individual group or more of them, or building a new super-group

by Mitja Decman -
Number of replies: 2

Hi, moodle 2.3.3+

we have a course with 3 groups 2013-A,2013-B,2013-C (for 3 assistants), each assistnat posting for its own group in a forum. But we would also want to post some announcments to all three groups at the same time. We can't use "all", because there is a group old students 2012 from last year, that don't need that announcement.

Now we make 3 posts, all equal, but for each of the groups seperately.

What is the solution.

We also wanted to create a group STUD-2013 and add all the studetns from all 3 groups A,B and C, but one by one is not an option. Any other way to just add all the students from A,B and C to STUD-2013?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mitja Decman

Re: forum posting for individual group or more of them, or building a new super-group

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

This is my first semester using groups for discussion, and I think that I know what you are running into.  The "instructor" cannot reply in a group forum because of some very good, but often hard to understand logic.  But in your case, your group assistants can.

Have you considered creating another forum called something like "Announcement from the Instructor" for things that you want to go out to all students?  I do this and it seems to work well.  I leave each chapter's discussions private to each group, but then always have another forum for these general (instructor) discussions.  For the instructor forum, in the forum settings, leave the "Group Mode" setting to "No Groups."  I also have the "Group Mode" for the course set to "No Groups".  By the way, my "News and Announcements" forum also is set to "No Groups" so that any announcement that I make goes out to every student.

Hope this helps you.

In reply to Rick Jerz

Odg: Re: forum posting for individual group or more of them, or building a new super-group

by Mitja Decman -

Well as I said "post to all" is not an option. Maybe our decision to have one course for many years is wrong.

But I would still love to have a forum, where selection of groups to post to would be a checkbox option instead of the dropdown option.

Regards