How can tables be re-formatted ?

How can tables be re-formatted ?

by Gerhilde Meissl-Egghart -
Number of replies: 5
Hi,

I couldn't find a way of reformatting (e.g. changing cellpadding, alignment, etc.) of a table.

Can anybody give me a hint?
Thanks!

Gerhilde
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Gerhilde Meissl-Egghart

Re: How can tables be re-formatted ?

by Lynn Scarlet Clark -
Hi,

You must use the pop-out enlarged screen to edit tables in this way (the pop-out screen shows more buttons relating to tables on the TINYMCE editor than in the normal window).

To get this window, click on the last icon on the bottom right of the editor - an arrow over two boxes). You'll get the pop-out window then, which will have a third row of icons.

I've attached a screen shot of an explanation of the icons I have in an online guide to Moodle I have produced for our learners. To edit spacings and padding, use the 'table settings' icon (first on the left). If there's anything else around tables please ask.
Attachment tables.gif
In reply to Lynn Scarlet Clark

by Gerhilde Meissl-Egghart -
Hi Scarlet,

this looks really great. I wonder, that I haven't found it before.

The only problem is, that the system sometimes ignores my changes (e.g. in font or table width.). This happened with the 'small' editor as well.

Do you know something about that?

Thank you so much for your help!

Best,
Gerhilde

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers
If you know anything about HTML you can directly edit the table using the Toggle HTML Source button, that can be easier in many circumstances. This is how you can take full control of your tables.

To enlarge the editor, use the Enlarge Editor button, but be careful, you need to close it properly using the Minimize Editor button.

Attachment toggles01.png

by Lynn Scarlet Clark -
Hi Gerhilde,

Colin is right in his email that it can often be best to edit the HTML code yourself. many settings are simply ignored by Moodle, for instance setting alignment for a table usually goes unchanged for me so I hand code it in.

If you know HTML, then that's great - you'll be able to achieve what you want. If you don't know any HTML, then don't despair it's very easy! If you want to reply to this - or perhaps message me directly - I can maybe help you with what you want to achieve for your table.

And, if you repeat tables often, just copying the code and pasting it into another location is actually much faster than putting a table in by hand using the editor.

Regards
In reply to Lynn Scarlet Clark

by Glenys Hanson -
Hi Gerhilde,

What I do is to copy the html out Moodle and paste it into a WYSIWYG text editor such as KompoZer (free) or Dreamweaver (expensive). I make it do what I want there in the WYSIWYG mode, check the html is clean and then copy the html back into Moodle.

It does help to understand some html - I confirm it's not difficult. wink

Cheers,
Glenys
Average of ratings: Useful (1)