using cvs

using cvs

by Bernard B -
Number of replies: 49

Hi

I suppose I did all there is to do to use cvs but it is asking for a password wich I dont have. I just want to use cvs to find and upload some fine blocks like quickmail but this cvs greenhorn doesnot get it.

Thanks for any consideration

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Bernard B

Re: using cvs

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Bernard,

Please note that Moodle Downloads CVS has instructions for downloading Moodle code. smile
In reply to Helen Foster

by Marc Dastous -

Unfortunately, that page does not provide updated information Helen.  I too, have been unable to follow those instructions and download the new code.  The references to 1.4 are confusing.  Can we get instructions that are 1.5 specific?

BTW, if you look at the web version, where is the 1.5+ code, all I see is a blank directory?

Marc

In reply to Marc Dastous

by David Scotson -

In answer to your second question, I think the Moodle_15 directory is a red herring, try changing the "Show files using tag:" dropdown at the bottom of the page to see files in that directory that are tagged for different releases.

In reply to Marc Dastous

by Chardelle Busch -
Picture of Core developers
Okay Marc,

Here's a start and others can add (this is how I do it, but there might be a better way). I'm assuming you have installed Tortoise CVS according to the instructions found on the Moodle CVS page.

1. Create a folder called moodle.
2. Right click on the folder and choose CVS Checkout and you should see a screen like the image below. Make sure yours looks the same. Click on the revision tab and make sure "Use Head branch" is chosen. As far as I know, this is the branch that 1.5+ is in and is the latest stable code. If this has changed, somebody let me know!
3. Then, to download Moodle just click okay.
4. A new window opens and the download begins. You might see this at the top of the window: cvs checkout: Empty password used - try 'cvs login' with a real password. Just ignore that and be patient, the download should begin shortly.
5. If you want to get something out of contrib, find out what folder it is in first by snooping around the sourceforge page.  Then, create another new folder like above, then change the module (it says moodle now) in the bottom of the screen to whatever you want to get including the contrib folder. For example: contrib/the name of the module or block folder.

Whatever you download will include a CVS folder, and the folders should be shaded green. If you want to change the branch, you can right click on a green folder, then mouseover CVS, then choose update special from the list. Then you can change the branch. And there are other options their too.

The files that download are labeled in the CVS download window.

C means the file has changed both in CVS and on your computer and their were conflicts between the two.
M means the file has only changed on your computer.
P means the file has changed only in CVS and your copy was updated to match.
U means the file is new and has been added to your folder.
? means the file only exists on your computer and not in CVS.

Hope this helps
Attachment cvs.gif
Average of ratings: Useful (4)
In reply to Chardelle Busch

by burak inner -

>Click on the revision tab and make sure "Use Head branch" is >chosen. As far as I know, this is the branch that 1.5+ is in and is >the latest stable code. If this has changed, somebody let me >know!

as "Use Head branch" it downloads moodle 1.6 development..

I dont want to use 1.6 development..

So I choose "Choose branch and tag" and then "update list"..

Now Which one to use  : MOODLE_15_STABLE or MOODLE_153 ?

thank for your article, it helps me alot.

In reply to burak inner

by Tim Allen -
I am pretty sure that MOODLE_15_STABLE is more recent than MOODLE_153 and includes bug fixes that the latter does not.

So I recommend you choose MOODLE_15_STABLE.  smile

by Anthony Borrow -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
I'm having trouble setting up TortoiseCVS to get some contrib code. The directory I'm looking for is the /contrib/questionnaire and in particular I want the Questionnaire16 tag (which I tried to modify on Revision tab - I tried HEAD, MAIN and Questionnaire16). I have setup the server with the latest change of moodle.cvs.sourceforge.net and I tried /contrib/questionnaire as the respository root; however I kept being asked for a password. I'm assuming that anonymous access is available for contrib, I just can't seem to access it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
In reply to Anthony Borrow

by Chardelle Busch -
Hi Anthony,

CVSroot: :pserver:anonymous@moodle.cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/moodle
Protocol: Password server
Server: moodle.cvs.sourceforge.net

Repository folder: /cvsroot/moodle

User name: anonymous

Module: contrib/questionnaire

AFAIK, this is the most recent version--I am not sure if this version is compatible with 1.6--I'm not sure Mike has even committed a 1.6 version yet.

by Anthony Borrow -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Chardelle - Thanks so much - that did the trick! I was mixed up about the meaning of module and respository folder. I had already checked with Mike and knew of the Questionnaire16 tag and now I have it thanks to your kind help. You just can't help but love the Moodle community.

by Matt Gibson -
Hi all,

I'm trying to use CVS from the debian command line and whilst I've managed to get the main moodle code, I can't seem to get to the contrib modules. Could someone show me a sample command so I can modify it please?

cheers,

Matt

Re: using cvs--HELP

by Bhupinder Singh -

Hi CHardelle,

Trying to connect to the CVS gives the following message.

"

connect to cvs.sourceforge.net:2401 failed: A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond.

"

Any suggestions??

Garry

In reply to Bhupinder Singh

by Jan Dierckx -

Maybe that's because Sourceforge has changed the location of the Moodle repository... you need to use ...

anonymous@moodle.cvs.sourceforge.net instead of anonymous@cvs.sourceforge.net

In reply to Jan Dierckx

by Bhupinder Singh -

Hi Jan,

Still stuck.

In F:\BACK UP OF DOWNLOADS\MOODLE CVS\moodle: "C:\Program Files\TortoiseCVS\cvs.exe" "-q" "checkout" "-P" "moodle"

CVSROOT=:pserver:anonymous@moodle.cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/moodle

connect to cvs.sourceforge.net:2401 failed: A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond.

Success, CVS operation completed

ANY SUGGESTIONS where I am going wrong

Garry

In reply to Bhupinder Singh

IS CVS Down?

by M Johns -
I am having difficulty accessing the CVS repository using the instructions provided on the download page.

error message:
In C:\: "C:\Program Files\TortoiseCVS\cvs.exe" "-q" "-z3" "checkout" "-P" "TortoiseCVS"
CVSROOT=:pserver:anonymous@tortoisecvs.cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/tortoisecvs

cvs [checkout aborted]: the :pserver: access method is not available on this system

Error, CVS operation failed

Any ideas?

~m
In reply to M Johns

Re: IS CVS Down?

by John Ryan -
I'm no expert but your settings look to be trying to update TortoiseCVS and not moodle.
In reply to John Ryan

by M Johns -
Hmm.  Well, I've followed the instructions from the download page http://download.moodle.org/cvs/

I've installed the Tortoise application, and copied :pserver:anonymous@moodle.cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/moodle

into the appropriate area, etc.  And I get this error -

"CVSROOT=:pserver:anonymous@cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/moodle

cvs [checkout aborted]: the :pserver: access method is not available on this system

Error, CVS operation failed"

Unless I've missed a step somewhere, I think I've followed it to the letter, but I can't access the system.

~m
Attachment tortoise-cvs-setup.jpg
In reply to M Johns

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
I am having similar CVS problems. I can't commit (=upload) to, or update (=download) from CVS. I've been trying for the last couple of days from several computers in different locations, using TortoiseCVS and settings that have hitherto worked flawlessly. Looks to me as if the CVS server is down and out, or at least misbehaving.

Gordon
In reply to Gordon Bateson

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
OK, this is fixed for me now. I logged in to sourceforge via the web and changed my password and then I was able to use CVS again. Thanks to Petr Skodak for telling me about the solution approve

cheers
Gordon
In reply to Gordon Bateson

by Dariem Garcés Urquiza -
Hi every one.
I'm new using cvs to write into contrib my module..
I use TortoiseCVS too but ho can i use it under a proxy??
OK i give up!!
Anyone can help... i really don't have an idea of how to connect my tortoisecvs to moodle.cvs.sourceforge.net

in other words I'm lost.
In reply to M Johns

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
CVSROOT should now contain the following
:pserver:anonymous@moodle.cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/moodle
In reply to M Johns

by Heather P -
Hi
Did you ever get this to work? I seem to have the same issue, initially it was our firewall blocking it completely but I think they have made a hole in it for me I am at least getting a message now instead of a breaking glass sound!
If you did get it working what did you do?
Thanks
In reply to M Johns

by Heather P -
I couldn't get it to work on Friday either, just kept failing for me too.

Heather

by Chardelle Busch -
Hi Everyone,

Here is an update to my original instructions above.

Changes are:

Server: is now --- moodle.cvs.sourceforge.net
Module: to get the entire moodle package still use moodle
to get a module -- it is now -- contrib/plugins/mod/thenameofthemod

Under the Revisions tab--unless you are a developer--do not use Head as your branch, be sure to click on the choose branch option and choose the latest STABLE version (click on the update list button first).

by Antonio Carlos Pereira Gomes -
Hello Chardelle,
I'm new with CVS update, and my doubt is: Does the CVS resource update de database? If yes, how? Does it update the database like the full package update when I go to http://example.com/moodle/admin for the first time after updating the files?
Thanks in advance.
Regards.
Antonio.

In reply to Antonio Carlos Pereira Gomes

by Just H -
Hi Antonio

It works the same as a manual update, just a lot easier smile

The update of the database is dependent on code in the individual components (modules, blocks etc.). Therefore, as long as the code is in the component and an update is required, when you go to admin it will take care of itself.

Regards
Harry
In reply to Just H

by Dan Hilke -
I have tried and tried with no success to follow the instructions give at:
http://docs.moodle.org/en/CVS_for_Administrators#From_a_Windows_computer

Can anyone tell me what the settings really should be for TortoiseCVS, in order to download Moodle 1.8 (latest stable)?

Thanks,
Dan

In reply to Dan Hilke

by Iñaki Arenaza -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Just make sure you replace SERVER.cvs.moodle.org with any of the following:

• eu.cvs.moodle.org
  • es.cvs.moodle.org
  • uk.cvs.moodle.org
  • us.cvs.moodle.org

I have just followed the instructions (using es.cvs.moodle.org in my case), and have checked out MOODLE_18_STABLE without problems.

Saludos. Iñaki.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Iñaki Arenaza

by Dan Hilke -
That was the missing link I needed - thank you very much!!
Now that I know what I missed, I'm not sure how I missed it in the instructions before... smile

Thanks,
Dan

In reply to Iñaki Arenaza

by Jason Hollowell -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
Hello,

I am currently running my Moodle site (1.8.4+) on Linux (Ubuntu 7.04) and have direct access to the server and would thus like to get setup to use CVS and have a couple questions about the process:

1. Can I use CVS with a Moodle instance that was setup without using CVS? (there are no cvs files/folders in my current instance). I have a development server on my laptop (moodle4mac) and see CVS folders in many places. None of them on my production server however.

2. Once I get my instance set up for CVS (if I manage it), can I use CVS to update all the Moodle 'core' without making changes to my custom 3rd party modules/blocks and 'self-adaptations'? In other words, for example, if I have a 3rd party module installed, will that module be deleted when I run a CVS update if that module does not exist in the Moodle stable core?

Thanks, in advance, for any help provided. smile

Jason
In reply to Jason Hollowell

by Larry Elchuck -
Jason

If you modded your local instal on your mac to have the same customizations as on your peroduction server, you could simply replace the folders ... with the exception of the config.php file. I've done this several times to a linux production server and encountered no problems.

When you run the cvs update using the shell script on your local MAMP build or by using terminal mode to access your production server, the modded files will appear with an M in front of them.

Sometimes, you get a C (meaning conflict) wrt your modded files on updating via CVS. I find this most often happens when there are 2 updates applied to the same modded file. Frequently, the issue can be corrected by deleting extra lines at the top of the modded file. Other times, I use TextWrangler to compare a clean copy of the cvs file to my modded one to see where the mixup occured.

Additional blocks, modules, themes, etc. are recognized as not being part of the core and are left untouched. You could download third-party blocks (that are in the contrib library) and replace the non-CVS versions with them ... then run another terminal command to check for and replace those files with updates from the contrib cvs repository as well.

Transmit and TextWrangler are a great combo to transfer and update files on your remote server, if you are using a Mac locally.

larry

by Deleted user -

Jason, to answer your questions,

Question #1

Yes, you can update using cvs even if you did not setup initally with cvs.

Question #2

If you have file folders or files in your moodle directory that are NOT part of the standard moodle checkout/update, then they will not be overwritten.

If you have modified a file that is part of the standard moodle, then I'm not actually sure whether it will overwrite the old one or not... you might havr to test this out to see what happens (in a test directory, not your production directory). You may not be able to use the old files anyway though, because the updated version may have changes that are needed for the new version of moodle to work properly. In case, what you need to do is move all your modifications from the old file into the new file.

In reply to Deleted user

by Jason Hollowell -
Jeff & Larry,

Thank you both, very much, for your helpful information. I don't think I've made any modifications to Moodle core files, if I can remember correctly, so I probably won't have any troubles.

I'm overdue to get set up with CVS and glad to know that there won't be any issues with 3rd party packages.

Thanks again

Jason

by Larry Elchuck -
Jason

Here's how I update our Linux server using terminal mode on a mac.
Our moodle folder is called "moodle" and you can see the path to it below.
The following (in blue) is what I enter:

ssh myadminusername@myserver.com

mypassword

sudo /bin/bash

mypassword

cd /; cd usr/local/apache2/htdocs; ls

cvs -q -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous@uk.cvs.moodle.org:/cvsroot/moodle co -r MOODLE_18_STABLE moodle
You may prefer to use the weekly update instead.

To keep the 3rd party plugins uptodate you can enter:
cvs -q -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous@uk.cvs.moodle.org/cvsroot/moodle co contrib

This will keep a master copy of the contributed elements on your server.

If manual changes are required (editing conflicting files, moving in newer versions of blocks or modules):

chmod -R 777 moodle/

If using Transmit, select the file and choose to edit it with TextWrangler on your local machine. Make your changes, then enter the following command in blue.

chmod -R 755 moodle/

Hope this makes sense ... I'm a tweaker and not a coder per se.
larry

In reply to Larry Elchuck

by Jason Hollowell -
Larry,

Thanks for the help. I will actually be logging directly into the server (locally) and thus won't need the ssh and my moodle root is slightly different but that's no big deal.

The two cvs statements will be very helpful. I don't completely understand them yet as I'm not really a coder either, aspiring at best but in reality just a tweaker too smile

I'm going to try to work some time into my schedule to sit down and work on getting this all setup without accidentally messing something up in the process.

I will definitely refer back to this post for reference at that time.

Thanks again

Jason

by Shin Okada -
Hi, I use Moodle on Windows server 2003 with Xampp.

I tried CVS, but I am not able to do it.

I input :pserver:anonymous@eu.cvs.moodle.org:/cvsroot/moodle in CVSROOT, and MOODLE_19 in Module.

I clicked Ok, then the following error message pops out.

--------------------
In .......htdocs\moodle:"C:Ptrogram files\CVSNT\cvs.exe"-q checkout -P MOODLE_19
CVSROOT=:pserver:anonymous@eu.cvs.moodle.org:/cvsroot/moodle

Connet to eu.cvs.moodle .org:2401 failed: NO connection could be made because the targe machine actively refulsed it.
Error, CVS operation failed.
-------------------------

I checked with us, uk and es. But none of them works.

I changed Use HEAD branch and Choose branch or tag in Revision, but it does not make any difference.

Could anyone help me?

In reply to Shin Okada

by Tamal Roy -

I am having the same problem -

The target machine is actively refusing it (the connection). I tried eu, uk, us and us2.

Using anonymous login.

Need the source code ASAP !!!

In reply to Deleted user

by Evan Whitaker -

"Question #1

Yes, you can update using cvs even if you did not setup initally with cvs."

I'm truly glad to know I can use cvs to update my current installations.  Having read the posts that follow the one quoted here, I'm still a bit mystified.  Is there a post somewhere that would walk me through the steps of installing turtlecvs and setting up my current installation to update with it?  Sorry to ask what's probably obvious to some.  Help would be appreciated.

In reply to Evan Whitaker

by Konstantin Etkine -
Nobody "can do this?" Then here is my suggestion. You need shell access to your server to do this (obviously cannot do through web host control panel)

1. Make full site backup in case of screw up

2. determine approximate version of Moodle you have. administration / Notifications will tell you build, but you need to relate this to cvs tag such as MOODLE_191. Match doesn't have to be perfect, but it should be close to version you have. To see available tags, go to cvs.moodle.org

3. create a directory where you will do the check out, say /home/evan/temp

4. follow directions in "CVS for administrators" (docs.moodle.org) to check out the code from cvs, for examples

cd /home/evan/temp
cvs -d:pserver:anonymous@eu.cvs.moodle.org:/cvsroot/moodle login
cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous@eu.cvs.moodle.org:/cvsroot/moodle co -P -r MOODLE_191 moodle

this create directory /home/evan/temp/moodle containing all code and CVS directories.

5. Next you will copy all CVS directories from your temp moodle onto your real Moodle. Supposing your real moodle is in /home/evan/public_html/moodle. Do this:

cd /home/evan/temp/moodle
find . -type d -name CVS -exec cp -R --parents {} /home/evan/public_html/moodle \;

6. As proof of concept, I would next suggest doing an upgrade to latest stable release

cd /home/evan/public_html/moodle
cvs update -dP

Depending on how close your version is to the version you checked out, you could have more or less conflicts to resolve here.

Maybe someone else have better idea, especially step 2. I am out of ideas.

In reply to Konstantin Etkine

by Konstantin Etkine -
OK, I try my own method, and it works.

Only one problem you may have: if you removed files or maybe even whole directories from your version, like I did (I delete everything which I am not using then CVS unfortunately will recreate all such and you has to delete again. Too bad cvs cant be smarter and see you don't want such. CVS don't know difference between "don't want" and "don't have"

Anybody know workaround?
In reply to Konstantin Etkine

by Andrea Russi de Capiello -

Hi, please, I need some "Back to Basics", I´m trying to download Moodle from CVS, I have done everything you have said in this course but I have the same message and a ridiculous noise of broken glases:

En C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\CVSNT: "C:\Program
Files\CVSNT\cvs.exe" -q checkout -P moodle
CVSROOT=:pserver:anonymous@moodle.cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/moodle

Empty password used - try 'cvs login' with a real password
cvs [checkout aborted]: cannot make directory moodle: Permission denied

Operación CVS fallida

In reply to Marc Dastous

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Oops, sorry for giving a link to out-of-date information! clown Chardelle, your instructions are great - thanks! approve
In reply to Helen Foster

by Shin Okada -
I sorted out cvs and I can connect.

But I get the following error.
----------------------
Erro, CVS operation failed.

Tortoise Tip: CVS tried to create a new file and discovered that the file already existed. There can be several causes for this:
1)You have created the file locally and someone else added a file of the same name to CVS.
2) Your sandbox has become corrupted (possible due to interference from antivirus programs).
To solve the problem: Rename or delete the affected files, then perform a CVS Update.
------------------------

I also noticed that all the lines have "it is in the way C moodle/......"

Could anyone help me please?

In reply to Shin Okada

by Just H -
Sounds like you are trying to use CVS to update a Moodle install that was originally installed manually.

If so, don't think you can do it. I posted a guide a while back on how I did it.

Hope it helps smile

H
In reply to Just H

by Shin Okada -
Yes, Harry.
You are right. I was trying to update a moodle that was originally installed manually.

I read your guide. Could you tell me about the picture 3, "connecting to the server using PuTTY?

I've never heard of PuTTY. Do I need to install it in my server or my computer?

Thanks for your help.
In reply to Shin Okada

by Just H -
Hello again

Sorry, I should have picked that up in my original post.

PuTTY is just a way to "talk" to the server, basically gets you into your server where you can use various weird and wonderful command lines to do stuff.

As you've already tried a CVS checkout, no, you don't need it.

Use whatever you've already used to checkout Moodle in your previous attempt (TortoiseCVS perhaps?).

Regards
H

In reply to Just H

by Jason Hollowell -
Harry,

I was just reviewing some of the responses here and was surprised to see your response saying that CVS can't be used for a Moodle install that was originally setup manually...?

In an earlier post from this thread (here) Jeff said that it is possible to update an install that wasn't originally installed using CVS so I'm confused smile

I haven't had time yet to sit down and try to update using CVS so don't know if it's going to work or not but....am a little concerned as to whether it's going to be possible for me since I didn't use CVS to start with.

Jason

by Just H -
Sorry Jason, only just stumbled back into this thread sad

Probably way too late but for anyone else looking for clarification in the future, you can migrate from a manual install to a CVS install - you can't update a manual install by CVS i.e. if you just downloaded the files from moodle.org for instance and uploaded to your server and then subsequently tried a CVS update . . . CVS won't have a clue about your existing files.

Regards
H