Teachers as Members of Groups

Teachers as Members of Groups

by Rosemary Morante -
Number of replies: 1
I understand how to add teachers to Groups but the question that I have: If the teacher is already assigned as the teacher of the overall course (our groups are classes by period), is there a reason why they also need to be a member of each group? In other words, is there something that they cannot do in their role as teacher unless they too are made members of the group? Thanks!
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Rosemary Morante

Re: Teachers as Members of Groups

by Edward Beckmann -
Rosemary

As you have probably discovered, groups allow certain students to be involved in an activity and be limited in which other students they interact with. For example, with a forum you can choose whether students can read / reply to everything, read everything but interact only with those in their group, or get the impression that only those in their group exist on the planet.

The effect on teachers follows the same logic, so if you have one course that contains students from a number of geographical areas you may want both them and their area teachers to be self-contained. In my case, I do not want teachers in one county to interact with students from another county for privacy reasons. In this case, I have separate groups and teachers join the group that they 'belong to' or represent.

Someone has to have blanket access to be able to modify activities and so on, but hopefully this helps explain things. If you have some more specific needs you may need to call on role permissions as well.

Kind regards

Ed