How to upload a screen capture video to the Moodle?

How to upload a screen capture video to the Moodle?

by Cheryl Young -
Number of replies: 6
Dear friends,

I created a screen capture video in .wmv format using Windows Media Encoder series 9.

I sent the video to a friend as an e-mail attachment (it's only 1.22 MB), and she is able to view the video.

I uploaded the same video to our Moodle (1.9.5), and my friend is not able to view the video in our Moodle.

What am I doing wrong?

Please help!

Thanks!

Cheryl
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Cheryl Young

Re: How to upload a screen capture video to the Moodle?

by A. T. Wyatt -
Greetings, Cheryl!

I have had difficulty viewing wmv files in firefox. You do not mention which browser you are using.

You might consider converting the video to flv and embedding it into a webpage in moodle. You might try http://www.mediaconverter.org/ for conversion. Here are Matt Campbell's instructions for embedding the flv file in a moodle webpage.
http://instructor.metrotech.org/~mcampbell/moodle_add_flv.swf

Maybe someone else will have a better solution!

atw

In reply to A. T. Wyatt

by Marc Grober -
Cheryl,

Firefox requires wmv plugin - a moodle search on that will pull up a thread discussing that.

SUPER is my favorite for media format conversion. Don't leave home without it - LOL

Of course, you have to make sure that whatever media you post can be properly handled ( e.g. embedding and specifying a player, using moodles media handlers or what have you)
In reply to Marc Grober

by Rosemary Camilleri -
I use MAC OS 10.5.5, my Moodle version is 1.9.3, and my browser is Firefox 3.5.4. I have used Jing to create a screen capture video; the result is an .swf file (Adobe Flash, I believe). How do I embed and specify a player that will allow me to show this video in my moodle course?

Thanks for any advice you can give.
In reply to Rosemary Camilleri

by Rosemary Camilleri -
After weeks of work, I finally figured out how to make and upload video to my Moodle (version 1.9.3) using Firefox on Mac OS 10.5.5. I hope my learning will help someone else.

First I downloaded the free version of software called Jing at www.jingproject.com/

Using Jing, I made my screenshot video with voiceover (maximum 5 minutes). It took several hours and five recordings to get a video that said what I needed to say, fairly smoothly, in under 5 minutes. Anyway, that video saved as an .swf file of about 13.5MB. (.swf is Macromedia Flash Player, I believe). Adobe prompted me to update my Flash player, and I did.

Then I went to Course Administration, Modules, Multimedia plugins, and set the .swf permission to "yes." There are risks, I know.

I went into the course where I wanted the video. In Settings I increased the size of a permissible uploaded file to the next larger increment, or 40MB. Again, there are risks.

In editing mode, I opened the "Add a resource" drop-down menu. I chose to add a link to a file or Web site. (I had tried Matt Campbell's method of selecting Create a web page; it was an instructive experience, but for some reason it did not work for me.)

From there on, I used the usual Browse, Open, Upload, Choose, Save routine. Mirabile dictu, it worked. Of course, I have here elided the many side trips, hours of thrashing about, downloading unnecessary gadgets, fooling around with my ftp, failing to see what was before my face, and general gnashing of teeth. \\ May some Moodler out there benefit from this tale.

Rosemary

In reply to Rosemary Camilleri

by Rosemary Camilleri -
I take back one piece of my story above: it was indeed Matt Campbell's procedure for "Create a web page" that worked. I tried again and confirmed that was the correct procedure (I tried so many). Also my video is visible to users with other browsers.
Thanks. Rosemary
In reply to A. T. Wyatt

by Matt Campbell -
And, in 1.9.4 and later, you can simply add a .flv as a 'Link to a file or web site' resource and it will work just like most other media files, thus eliminating the need to watch my tutorial entirely!

Thanks,
Matt