Windows server: moodle 1.8 access from client system

Windows server: moodle 1.8 access from client system

by K.James Mathai -
Number of replies: 11

moodle 1.8 access from client system

I could install moodle 1.8 on window2003 server and am able to have access to it. But, am unable to have access from any client system on intranet. logging on to server site displays- moodle front page with error and on clicking login button displays message unable to display page. I faced the same problem, when I tried moodle 1.8 on Red hat enterprise linux also. why? Can any one help?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to K.James Mathai

Re: Windows server: moodle 1.8 access from client system

by Chris Potter -
So, just to clarify... You've set up the server and you can log in and access Moodle just fine locally (on the server it was installed on), but when you try to access it remotely from another computer, it gives you errors?

by Chris Lamb -

Try checking your config.php file and make sure that the path to Moodle specified in $CFG->wwwroot is a valid web address, ie http://www.xxxxxxx and not an internal address like http://127.0.0.1/xxxxxxxxx.  While you're there you can check $CFG->dirroot and $CFG->dataroot as well, but I don't think they'd cause the problem you describe.

If that doesn't help, if you can find out what URL the browser is trying to get to (you should see it in the address bar or in the error message) and post it here that might give us a pointer to what's going wrong.

HTH

Chris

In reply to Chris Lamb

by K.James Mathai -

thank you for your responce. the web address is valid as it displays the moodle front page when I access it through any of the computer on intranet. But, it display  jumbled frontpage as shown below with some of theme images missing.. and login/language option on subsequent line..I think the page is geting displayed as text page..? perhaps. The login botton (shown below) even does not work and on clicking it display invalid page.  On server the complete page gets perfectly displayed.

Is it related to public key option under networking -> settings. It  does not display any public key and display valid until 1jan 1970.

thanks

Moodle

You are not logged in. (Login)
Language: English (en)

Course categories

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
    1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 Today Wednesday, 16 May 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31    

by yusof yaghi -
I kind of have the same problem. When i access the server from a client on an intranet moodle appears crumbled. I do not want it to be for the internet. I just want it to work on an intranet for my clients. I tried the above replies but i do not understand it because it is mainly for the internet. Please can you provide a tutorial because i am very new to moodle and do not understand a lot of things in it. This is how moodle looks like when I access it from a client.
Attachment Moodle_ERROR.PNG
In reply to yusof yaghi

by Chris Lamb -
I still think that the problem for both of you may be the $CFG->wwwroot setting in config.php.  The front page will still display for you to some extent with that set wrong, because your browser is pointing directly to the main file so it will get the basic HTML of the page, but if $CFG->wwwroot is wrong then internal links within the page, to images and stylesheets, won't work.  This will lead to the page being unable to find the images it needs, so you'll get blank boxes, and the stylesheets it needs, so everything will be in Times New Roman and the layout will be wrong.
In reply to Chris Lamb

by yusof yaghi -
THANKS CHRIS,
The problem i had was that the path was set to localhost/moodle
but then i understood you so i put the name of the server or the ip (it does not matter) then i went to test it. I put the name of the server (XXXX/moodle) then it worked
The pics work and I was able to log in.
Thank god i finished setting up moodle.
It took me a long time.
Thank again Chris

In reply to yusof yaghi

by K.James Mathai -
thanks chris for your help. The problem has been resolved. You r correct. I had a great experence.

by Chris Lamb -

Glad you've got it sorted!  smile

In reply to Chris Lamb

by pramod kuksal -

I have the same issue my computer name is cs20

$cfg->wwwroot='IPaddress'

$cfg->dirroot = 'cs20\moodle\server\moodle';

$cfg->dataroot = 'cs20\moodle\server\moodledata

am i doing it correclty please help

In reply to pramod kuksal

by Richard Enison -
PK,

I don't think so. Your wwwroot should be a full Internet URL, like 'http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx' (replace the x's with your IP address, of course). The dirroot and dataroot parameters should be full internal file system pathnames, which would not include the computer name. What drive are they on? C:? Here is an example:

$CFG->wwwroot = 'http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx';
$CFG->dirroot = 'c:\moodle\server\moodle';
$CFG->dataroot = 'c:\moodle\server\moodledata';

Also note that PHP is a case-sensitive language and $CFG must be spelled with all uppercase (capital) letters.

If you had the Moodle files on a separate machine (cs20) in a LAN from the webserver, then you would have to use the machine name in the pathnames, like this:

$CFG->dirroot = '\\cs20\moodle\server\moodle';
$CFG->dataroot = '\\cs20\moodle\server\moodledata';

Or you could map the top-level moodle folder (directory), or its parent folder, to a drive letter on the webserver system (like "m:"). Then you would have something like my first example, but with "m:" instead of "c:". Just make sure that the mapping is active whenever Moodle is running.

RLE