list/search teacher profiles

list/search teacher profiles

by Dan Young -
Number of replies: 3
I'm looking for a straight-foward way to allow guests to view/search all of the teacher profile pages independant of any courses to which they may be assigned. It may be a while before teachers set up their classes, but we'd like to have the profile information available to parents immediately.

Is there anything else available other than an embedded Google search link that could perform this function? Should I go submit a feature request?
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Dan Young

Re: list/search teacher profiles

by W Page -
Hi Dan!

I would only say you should be careful
about this.

I understand the need to have parents access information about instructors but you should weight the fact (and inform the teachers before you do it) that by using Google or any public search engine, you open up their information to the world. Some of it may be considered private information that may open them up to some bad situations.

Suggest you make up a page listing all of the teachers and the information you would like to be available to parents on your site about teachers. Parents could be pointed to this page. The page would then not have to be indexed by a public search engine. A ".htaccess" file should be created to keep search engines out as well. A properly configured "robots.txt" site file should also do this, I think.

Just a thought.

WP1

In reply to W Page

by Dan Young -
I appreciate and share your privacy concerns.

We're populating the profiles with work-related contact information for public employees (i.e. school provided e-mail address / phone number) that is currently available via static web pages.

We're also looking to provide qualification/licensing/degree information as this is now a NCLB public reporting requirement for US schools.
In reply to Dan Young

by Dan Young -
Just to close the thread, I thought I'd mention that the code in /userpix should be enough to get me started on a Teacher listing.