file upload for course not working

file upload for course not working

by Ron Banks -
Number of replies: 8

Running two sites with both using version 1.3.1, however one on a Windows server, the other on a Linux (but, I am not saying the different OS are the problem).

I have backuped a course on the Windows server and want to load it onto the Linux server, so I download the zipped file to a client machine (Windows again) and try to upload file to Linux server (file is 3.5 MB but limit is 8.0MB. I go to Site Files under Administration.  I browse for the file on my client machine, find it - its at c:\bck_hlic_pev200407.zip.  I click on "Upload this file".  I get a browser message; "The page cannot be displayed".  I see the url is for "... mysite.com/moodle/files/index.php".  I hit the refresh key and see the following red box:

A required parameter was missing

Pressing "Continue" below the Unwanted Red Box, I continue on, waiting with bated breath to see if I actually have the file ... but, alas, in Site Files ... it is not there!  What is a fellow to do?

Ideas, suggestions, what is the missing parameter?  how do I put it in?

Film at 11:00.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ron Banks

My work around

by Ron Banks -

I have not received a response on this one, but I have created a manual workaround.  I created a directory for the backups on the target server using moodle, sshed into the server to find that directory inside the moodle data directory structure.  Once I found the directory, I ftp-ed the zip files into the location.

Going back to my client machine I went to the moodle site on the target server and in the site files found my backup zip files that had been loaded through ftp.  Clicked on the course file that I wanted to add (restore) to the site and moodle did the rest in unpacking the course correctly.

So the issue for me is settled.  However, I think that someone else will get stuck with this as well.

But ... I sure am enjoying Moodle!  The community and developers are the best I have seen for open source collaboration.

Thanks.

In reply to Ron Banks

Re: My work around

by W Page -
I created a directory for the backups on the target server using moodle, sshed into the server to find that directory inside the moodle data directory structure.  Once I found the directory, I ftp-ed the zip files into the location.  Ron Banks

Hi Ron!

How did you FTP from SSH.

Thanks in advance.

WP1

In reply to W Page

by Ron Banks -
Using the SSH Secure File Transfer Client from SSH Secure Communications located at http://www.ssh.com
In reply to Ron Banks

by W Page -
Hi Ron!

Thanks for responding.

I use Putty for SSH. I could not find clear instructions about SSH and FTP on the Putty site.

I hope one of the other Putty users that does this process will see this post and provide a helpful site or instructions as to how to do it.

WP1
In reply to W Page

by Matt Shaul -

WP:

From the Putty site, download psftp.exe.  Then, from a command line, execute it:

psftp <IP Address> <enter>

You will be prompted for a username and password.

The capabilities and commands are similar to ftp (encrypted of course), with some slight variations.  Enter help at the psftp command line for a list of available options.  You will need the Subsystem sftp entry in your sshd_config turned on - normally the last line in the file.

Matt

In reply to Ron Banks

Re: file upload for course not working

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Hi, Ron.

Naturally this shouldn't happen in the first place, and it doesn't happen for me on any of my sites.  I'm at a loss to explain why it does on yours.

Can you try uploading some different (small) files?  Do they work?
In reply to Ron Banks

Re: file upload for course not working

by John Jennings -

Hi Ron,

I had a similiar problem but with Moodle version 1.4 dev. on a test server(apache 1.3.26 & php 4.1.2).  I kept getting a 'A required parameter was missing' error when trying to upload files, although a few weeks previously everything worked ok. I eventually fixed the problem by copying the .htaccess file from the lib folder and placing it in the site root and changing the following values in that file from:

php_flag magic_quotes_gpc        1
php_flag magic_quotes_runtime    0  
php_flag file_uploads            1
php_flag short_open_tag          1
php_flag session.auto_start      0
php_flag session.bug_compat_warn 0

to

php_flag magic_quotes_gpc        on
php_flag magic_quotes_runtime    off 
php_flag file_uploads            on
php_flag short_open_tag          on
php_flag session.auto_start      off