Pass quiz before move on

Pass quiz before move on

by Eric Chiu -
Number of replies: 12

Hi,

Is there a way to set up a quiz which student MUST pass before he can proceed to another section of the course.

thanks,

Eric

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Eric Chiu

Re: Pass quiz before move on

by Henrik Kaipe -
No there is not.
The use of course sections is only one way to organise the material in a course. Today there is no way to hide/show course material for individual students.
In reply to Eric Chiu

by Bernard Boucher -
Hi Eric,

Henrik gave you a good answer because that locking mecanism is not yet integrated in Moodle, but it will be later.

In meantime you may use a hack that lock out quiz or ressource depending of an other quiz or ressource.
It don't lock an entire section but one activity at a time. You have to lock each activity.

You will find here a beta version of lock out mecanisim. The lastest version is there.

Alvin found a good trick to accept grades < 100%.

If you are interested to modify it go ahead.

If you have question ask me.

If you find bugs tell me please.

Have a good try,

Bernard

In reply to Bernard Boucher

by Seif Fateen -

Bernard,

I am working on installing your lock out mechanism on the recent version of moodle [1.3.1].  I was reluctant to replace the lib.php mod.php files that are included in version 1.3.1 with your modified files because I was concerned about incompatibility issues.

Should I go ahead and replace these files?  Or can you tell me what are the changes that you've made to these files so that I can do these changes on the new version?

Your help is appreciated.

Thanks!

Seif

In reply to Seif Fateen

by Bernard Boucher -
Hi Seif,
sorry for the delayblush ( vacation big grin ).

Your reluctance is justified. By chance you didn't try it because you refer to and "old" version of linking beta.

The more recent one for moodle 1.3.1 is here. lib.php is no more modifiedsmile .

Generally new versions are posted on developper forum under the name
Activities linking in meantine for moodle 1.x.x

Have a good testing,

Bernard

by Grant Totten -

I woul like some more information on how the 'locking' works before I install it.  Does this only allow a new lesson to be displayed based on quiz score or are there other criteria for unlocking the next lesson?

Also,  how do I go about using this zip file?

In reply to Grant Totten

by Bernard Boucher -
Hi Grant,
like specified in the parent post, the complete information about activities linking is in the general developper forum under the name Activities linking in meantine for moodle 1.x.x

In that post and in the readme file included, I explain at my best what it does, what you gain, what you loose and how to install it on a test server first please.

I hope these links will be usefull.

Have a good reading and testing,

Bernard

by Genner Cerna -
What about implementing 1 question at a time, thus making it diffucult to cheat because of the random question and answer will be appearing per student.
In reply to Genner Cerna

by Timothy Takemoto -

Genner Cerna
1 question at a time could be done with the lesson module, but not with Bernard's activities linking. Bernard's activities linking is clearly popular. I am only not using it at the moment since it is sadly still not included in the main release.

In reply to Timothy Takemoto

by Genner Cerna -

I see, for now I running moodle with optimal module for fast loading...

Thanks, I try that module if it works...

In reply to Genner Cerna

by Bernard Boucher -
Hi Genner,
                 many subjects in that postwink

The linking mecanisimn works fine with version 1.3.1. It is better to check in his original post for details.

One random question at a time give good results for cheating but require a lot of tests and put a big load on the gradebook.

Lesson, as Timothy suggest,  is a good choice permitting some form of linking usinf it navigation, and don't take too long to load  as it present one question at a time.

If you don't already have implemented it, Martin give a good way to measure loading time in real time here.

I modified it a little bit to display the time in the status bar  and to don't modify actual page presentation with these lines:

$micro = microtime_diff($CFG->startpagetime, microtime());

echo "defaultStatus = '$micro secondes'";

Have a good test,

Bernard

by Will Muenchow -
I am currently running Moodle 1.3 and would love to add the activ linking to my production server. But you have stated that it probably is not yet ready for such use? In your opinion, should one wait for a public release to begin using this type of feature (which I dont think will come along until 2.0 ?)
In reply to Will Muenchow

by Bernard Boucher -
Hi Will,
            as specified, the activities linking is not incorporated in the Moodle main distribution. ( it works well but the teacher interface is nearly inexistant, the installation process is a little bit hard, the code is not speed optimized nor Martinized wink )

That is why you should try it on a test server with the same softwares ( Moodle, php, mysql, .. ) and database content as your production server. That way you will understand clearly it installation procedure and it functionnality. And you will have all the first hand ( yours handswink ) informations to take your decision to install it on a production server.

Have a good testing,

Bernard