Portfolios: Portfolio Module

Portfolios: Portfolio Module

by Matt Oquist -
Number of replies: 289
I'm moving the discussion from this thread over to here, because this is a more appropriate place for it.

The portfolio module is now in contrib, and it is therefore always available at http://moodle.org/download/modules/portfolio.zip.

The next major chunk I'm planning/hoping/needing to add is DMS integration, so that the PF module will use APIs to store and retrieve all artifacts, and so students can upload arbitrary artifacts via the DMS and insert them into their portfolios.  I am eagerly watching this thread toward that end...
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Matt Oquist

Re: Portfolios: Portfolio Module

by Matt Oquist -
I've just finished implementing the very beginnings of the artifact-editing page (including user comments) and it's all in CVS.

I guess the contribs are wrapped up every 24 hours or something, so whenever that happens the new stuff will be available right here.

In the meantime, my newest testing/dev Moodle is running at http://moodle.yi.org:1080/mdev5/ and it has the changes, too.  Feel free to create an account and try it out!
In reply to Matt Oquist

by Bhupinder Singh -

Hi Matt,

I went to your test sight to test out the module.

I was not able to publish.

Where is the latest build for download.

Regards

Garry

In reply to Bhupinder Singh

by Matt Oquist -
Hi Bhupinder,

Can you give me more details about the publication problems you found? Did you enrol in a course and submit an assignment, and then add that assignment to your portfolio?  What were you trying to do? Whom were you trying to publish to?  What username did you create?  (I don't see anything that looks like your name.)

The latest code is always in CVS, and the nightly .zip is always here.
In reply to Matt Oquist

by Bhupinder Singh -

Hi Matt,

Username: garry

password: bobdog

enrolled in the ARTS Lesson

UPloaded document. (I can see it)

Tried to publish it for all users . It is here that I was unable to see the same.

Am I going wrong or expecting a wrong visual.

Is the link for the dowunload the best one?? Shall try using it..

Garry

by Matt Oquist -
I also see why you were confused, Garry.

I've changed the link in the site description to specify that it's for admins only (it allows admins to permit some regular users to publish "Moodle-wide" and "world-wide").

Also, I added some help on the main page to describe how to do the portfolio stuff. smile

I'm currently working on a "My portfolios" block, which will give users an easy way to get into their portfolios and, someday, display useful links related to portfolio artifacts they've been assigned but haven't completed yet, and stuff like that.

I'm sorry for the confusion!
In reply to Matt Oquist

by Bhupinder Singh -

MAtt,

The clarification was nice.

I have managed to install the Portfolio and I am running the same for understanding their full potential.

A thaught aloud for all.

" Would it not be appropriate to add all the assignments that a student does automatically form part of the Portfolio."

Just an idea not brainstormed if yet.smile

Garry

by Matt Oquist -
Ah; I found your username: "garry".

But you haven't added anything to your portfolio, so you won't be able to publish any portfolio artifacts.  First enrol in a course, submit an assignment, and add that submission to your portfolio.  Then you should be all set.
In reply to Matt Oquist

by Matt Oquist -
Just did multi-artifact deletion & editing, though I'm not very happy with the code or the interface.  Both of them are awkward...I'll have to keep stewing on this.  Anyhow, it's all in CVS.

Next up: Portfolio Block

In reply to Matt Oquist

by Josep M. Fontana -
Hi Matt,

As you suggested in the other thread, I created an account in your site. The problem is I don't see any obvious way to create a portfolio with a student profile.

Josep M.
In reply to Josep M. Fontana

by Ger Tielemans -
Hello Joseph: Just do the assignment where you have to explain that you are a genius. As soon as you deliver the assignment, you get the option to add it to your portfolio. (you have access to it in your personal page, it is a text-link, but I hope it will become a TAB.)
I like the way this is development very much. It is really impressing!! So, I stop my own development. smile
Now my questions:

I have to select a user in a drop down box. I wonder how this will look with 5000 users. (In the final release I would prefer the double alphabet selection system to trim the range of selectable users.)
  1. I like the simple solution you choose for publishing on three levels: public, inner-circle (=inside your Moodle) and on personal base. (here I also wish the double alpahbet.) If I publish to the world or inside our Moodle-area, where and how are these documents visibile? Will you choose the book metaphor with categories on the left, the artefacts on the right and the export/print buttons on top?
  2. Part one of a portfolio is storing your artefacts: will it be possible to make subfolders (as I can in the my files block) and publish/hide complete subfolders?
  3. After storing his artefact, you wish that the user starts to reflect on it, So can I have several user-comment-boxes on the page under the artefact with these (in the language file changeable?) prompts:
    1. About this artefact
    2. What I did learn
    3. What I would change the next time. (borrowed from Klahowya)
    4. ....
  4. If you offer the artefact to others for viewing, will it be possible to deliver comments? free format and/or a set of scales, using the Moodle scale  mechanism? 
  5. Will it be possible to export the set of artefacts as an XML-tree?
  6. Will the modul (during export) follow the rules of IMS/portfolio specs?
    Again, I am very impressed and like what I see, compliments smile
In reply to Ger Tielemans

by Julian Ridden -
Ger has some great points. What really stood out to me from them however was the "reflections" idea. Would love to see somthing like that appear.

Als adding portfolio as a tab in the profile screen would make alot of sense.
In reply to Julian Ridden

by Matt Oquist -
Yes, I think it's a good idea to have a "Portfolio" tab in the profile, but that's pretty low-priority until we have something interesting (configuration-related) to put there.

by Matt Oquist -
Ger,

Great questions!

Yes, scalability isn't going to be great with the current menu structure for the portfolios filtering page. I'm going to have to change the filter module, because the way I'm currently doing it won't ever scale well, so it should change there (and not just in the portfolio module). I'm not sure the double-alphabet is going to be the best mechanism; perhaps a search box?

To reply to your other points:
  1. publication: Again, I think the search box scales better and is easier to code than the double-alphabet. Just put in one letter and search; that's almost the same thing. smile I haven't thought much yet abuot doing any more "publication" than what you already see -- the people with access can go to http://yourmoodle/portfolio/ and see your stuff. There will be more metadata attached to artifacts after the editing page matures, so as that happens there will be a need for more powerful displaying. (Already the artifact owner can submit comments, and those aren't displaying anywhere.) This is something that still needs lots of work.
  2. publish/hide subfolders: This is an interesting way to think of it, and something like this should become possible. At the very least, I will get multi-item publication working, and at that point you can select the artifacts you want to publish/hide, and make the changes to them as a group. Granted -- this scales very poorly.
  3. user reflections: YES! Just not done yet. The comment field that's there right now isn't even stored the "right way" in the database.
  4. Comments/Moodle scales: I'm not familiar with "Moodle scales", but they sound interesting. I wonder if the sort of thing we want is to attach a forum thread to each artifact as necessary. ??
  5. XML export: The Moodle-Elgg folks are planning to do IMS transfer of Moodle portfolios into Elgg, so I'm planning to assist with that whenever it becomes time to get started on it.
  6. IMS/portfolio specs: See #5. smile

by Josep M. Fontana -
Thanks for the instructions, Ger. Now I see the portfolio with the artifact I have created, but I continue without seeing any notes that one can associate with a given artifact.

Josep M.

by Chardelle Busch -
Picture of Core developers
Hi Matt,

I just tested this on your site.
1. When I chose to edit an "artifact" (curious about where this term came from), I got a page with portfiolio name, comments area, and submit button, but pushing submit doesn't seem to do anything--I might have missed something--or else maybe this isn't functional yet?

2. When you go to publish an item, the studen't email addresses are listed with their names--why? I made my email address hidden and it still appears in the student list. Is it really necessary to list the email address, or, could it be made to follow the user profile protocol?  Also, it would be great to have the option to publish an item to a group.
In reply to Chardelle Busch

by Matt Oquist -
Hi Chardelle,

Do you have a better term to suggest than "artifact"? I don't know where it came from either, but Everybody seems to use it. The code refers to "portfolio items". This could become configurable if necessary.

The submit button on the editing page brings you back to the same page, so if you didn't change anything, nothing will appear to happen. However, this should definitely be changed to include a notification that "Your changes were saved", or whatever. I'll add that, probably tonight.

Quite right about the email addresses being displayed. That's gone now, though I suppose it would be nicer to allow the API to print them when requested (and permitted). Well, there are other, more important things to worry about ATM.

Yes, group support would be wonderful. That's also on my TODO list. smile
In reply to Matt Oquist

by Chardelle Busch -
Picture of Core developers
If artifact is a standard then that should be used, I was just curious about it, I probably would change it for my needs to "item"--but that's easily done in the lang file.

As for the edit--yes, a notification would be great, but also, I can't tell where that comment goes--I don't see it anywhere except when I click on edit...

Oh, I see this above "Already the artifact owner can submit comments, and those aren't displaying anywhere." 

You've put a lot of work into this--great stuff!

by Matt Oquist -
Ah - you're pointing out a slightly different sort of problem than I thought. Yes, you've noticed that the comment doesn't actually go anywhere but right into the database. But you can read your own comment if you edit the item again; surely that's worth something... wink In all seriousness, I'm entirely unsatisfied by the way this is currently being done and envision something almost entirely different in the future.

In the near future I'll probably change the way the artifacts are displayed, so that comments (and other, to-be-added bits of information) are also displayed. But in the long-term, I picture something more like a forum thread or mini-blog attached to each artifact. But as you can tell, that will take a lot more thought and work.

OH - and now that I finish reading your post, I see that you've already noticed my previous, brief, and obscure answer. Well, now you've got a customized answer, too.

Thanks so much for trying this out and giving me your feedback!

by Matt Oquist -
It is now possible to publish to users, groups, and courses independently.

Also, "reflections" are now displayed when a portfolio item is viewed.

We're planning to run a permanent demo server at http://portfolio.spdc.org/, so that's probably the easiest way to look things over if you're interested.

by Matt Oquist -
Josep,

You're exactly right.  At the moment you can "Edit" an artifact and attach a comment to it, but (as Chardelle has noted) that comment isn't ever displayed anywhere.

I explained more in this post to
Chardelle.
In reply to Matt Oquist

by Matt Oquist -
The block is in CVS and not looking too bad.

I also added functionality to check for suitable potential artifacts, so now you can just click on "Add portfolio artifact" in your 'My portfolios' block to see what additional artifacts you could add.

This should help make things lots more usable than they were before.  smile

http://moodle.yi.org:1080/mdev5/ is still my latest dev Moodle, and it should be stable for you to play during the next few hours as I do some school work of my own.  wink

In reply to Matt Oquist

by Marc Dastous -
I have most of the module up and running on one of my development servers.  However, when I moved the installation from one of my Localhost servers to the web I started getting a
No portfolio artifact was specified.

error.  I got this when I tried to remove a portfolio artifact.

I also was unable to designate students to give world wide or Moodle access.  When I select a student and try to move them to the left column, they don't move.

I like what I see so far, but how do I fix these problems?

Marc

In reply to Marc Dastous

by Matt Oquist -
Hi Marc,

Thanks for testing, and thanks for posting your results.

Do you get that same error when you edit or publish an artifact? (I'm guessing not.) Did you add the artifact in question before or after you moved from your Localhost server to the web?  You say "remove a portfolio artifact", so that implies that you were only removing a single artifact at a time?  (The newest version of the module allows you to delete multiple artifacts simultaneously.)

Can you point me to this server? May I create an account there? What version of Moodle are you running?

Just to be absolutely sure we're thinking about the same thing WRT to providing publication access to students: you went to http://yourmoodle.com/access_control/, clicked on one of the two links, and then tried to move students into the left column, and they don't move. I assume your screen looks just like this, except that you can't get anybody into the left column. Hmm. This one is more surprising to me...again, may I have (this time admin thoughtful) access to your Moodle so I can try the interface myself?

Oh - and I would expect more things to be more broken if these weren't there, but can you verify that the following tables exist in your database:
access_control
access_owner

And when you say you "moved" this installation, how did you move it? The portfolio and access_control modules, which have database tables, are not currently capable of any backup or restoration.

It's nice to have somebody else helping me find the bugs. wink
In reply to Matt Oquist

by Marc Dastous -

Matt,

Email me at marc@mrdconsulting.com and I will give you the necessary login information.

Here is the address to the Moodle installation in question http://henry.eportfolios4u.com. It is the latest nightly version as of Wednesday night.

Do I get that same error when you edit or publish an artifact?   YES

As far as the database, I have the moodle version of phpMyAdmin installed, so you can check it yourself.  However, yes, it looks to me like it installed correctly.

When I referred to "moving", the only moving I did is the Moodle directory. I did not transfer any data. I tested it locally, then uploaded the entire directory to my "live" test server and started to load test data there.  As a matter of fact, the start of my son Benoît's portfolio is there.

This is awesome stuff!!!!! big grin

Thanks.

Marc

In reply to Marc Dastous

by Matt Oquist -
Hi Marc,

I'm looking around at your system now.  Did it work to publish/edit/delete artifacts before you "moved" the system?

I haven't looked at the access-granting problem yet, but the publish/edit/delete problem is a mystery to me.  The portfolio_publish(), portfolio_delete(), and portfolio_edit() routines in lib.php are getting invalid arrays of $ids, and I don't know why this would be happening.  I've tested for sure by sending edit.php exactly the expected data (an array named filter_pfitem_checkbox with the IDs of the portfolio artifacts you're deleting/publishing/editing) and it's still passing something invalid on to the other routines.  I'm not sure what to do next to figure this out, but I'll keep thinking about it.

Maybe the access-granting problem will be related and shed some light here.
In reply to Matt Oquist

by Marc Dastous -

Ok,

This is the scenario...

Student "A" uploads a document for grading.  Once it is graded and he/she is satisfied with the product it is posted to his/her portfolio.

Now, the student wishes to have an individual from another institution view his/her portfolio.  Can we create a control panel that will allow Student "A" to create an "enrollment key" to email this individual so that only that person can see his/her portfolio?

As it stands right now, when someone makes their portfolio global, everyone with access to a course can view that portfolio.  I would like to make the options a little more secure and customized to the student.

I really don't want everyone seeing every students' portfolio.  Not to mention, I don't want to require everyone who is asked to view a portfolio to be forced to create an account.

Any thoughts?

Marc

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Marc Dastous

by Matt Oquist -
Interesting - I hadn't considered the idea of an emailable key.  I guess we could put an optional, configurable timeout on it so that they have, say, a week to view the item before the key expires.

Very good idea, I think.

I'm going to hold off on it for now, because I'm trying to roll out a whole repository solution very quickly.  (We'll see how successful I am...)

But I really like this suggestion a lot and will definitely come back to it.
In reply to Matt Oquist

by Marc Dastous -

Matt;

That is exactly what I am referring to; a key that will expire so the student doesn't have to remember to "turn it off".  Look at it in a different way, a college student wants a potential employer to view his/her portfolio, but doesn't want the entire world to see it. 

I can also see the student being able to set the time that would be allowed before the key expires ( 7, 14, 30, 365 days and never).

I would also like, in the student view, the ability to see what the feedback was on a particular assignment; a link to the gradebook record for that artifact.

Marc

In reply to Matt Oquist

Re: Portfolio Module--PRODUCTION VERSION?

by Bhupinder Singh -

Do you beieve we are near a production version yet???

If yes a link would be nice.

Garry

Re: Portfolio Module--PRODUCTION VERSION?

by Matt Oquist -
I'm implementing a pluggable file repository architecture at the moment to provide a way for students to add arbitrary files to their portfolios.

This is an ambitious move, of course, so I've been quite wrapped-up in it and that's why I haven't been making any noise here for a few days.  smile

I am presenting this portfolio system to a group of potential users on March 20th, so I'm fully intending to have it ready for serious production testing by that point.  I'll keep you all updated here, of course.

But back to the coding for now.
In reply to Matt Oquist

by Matt Oquist -
I've added group support to the access_control module, so now portfolio artifacts can be published to groups, and (more importantly) groups can be granted publication meta-access. That is, you can have a group ("publishers" or something) and give that group Moodle-wide or world-wide publication access all at once. Then you can add people to that group and remove them, and they are granted or lose their publication meta-access.

I had been planning to hold off on this until some other things were done, but I was going to move forward on the DMS front and realized I didn't want to have to go back later and update a bunch of code when I added group support. It turns out I wouldn't have had to, anyway, but I wanted to be sure.

I submitted to CVS last night, so sometime soon the latest stuff should be right here.
And it's available right now on my development system.

Note that I haven't provided any upgrade capabilities, so if you've already installed you'll either have to reinstall, or just go through the access_control part of the installation again (copy the files in) and then add the "isgroup" column to the access_control table...

Aw, heck. I'll put together an upgrade for mysql. Hang on.
In reply to Matt Oquist

by Matt Oquist -
Upgrading is implemented.  Just follow the normal installation instructions.

It should work for both mysql and posgres7, though I've only tested the full system with mysql.  (I only tested my SQL command for postgres7 in psql.)
In reply to Matt Oquist

by Matt Oquist -
ACK! Bug in that last one. I just submitted a fix for the definition of the access_control table.

If anybody installed already and gets errors like this:
Duplicate entry '1-portfolio_item-2-2' for key 1

...the fix is to change the primary key definition to include the 'isgroup' column.

CVS has the latest, and hopefully it never even zipped up the broken stuff.
In reply to Matt Oquist

by Jan Carlo Pigao -

Hi Matt please help me

i want to modify the portfolio ,version 3.2.2 for our school purpose and i am using moodle 1.9.14 what is the exact file to edit because i am trying to edit the myportfolio.php,I also tried all the file under the portfolio folder and still there is no changes

Any help would be appreciated,Thankyou

In reply to Matt Oquist

by Julian Ridden -
This feature is just looking better and better each time I log in. Brilliant stuff!!

Had a suggestion.

When "publishing" artifacts to users, would be nice to see teachers identified and placed at the top of the list as this will be (at least in our case) one of the primary viewers of the portfolio.

by Matt Oquist -
Good idea; it's done, though I just did it with a checkbox that specifies that only teachers should be shown.  (Note: I have the word "teachers" set to "lords" on my mdev6 Moodle...)

I moved all the users over, so if you had an account on my mdev5 Moodle there's a good chance you have one on mdev6, too.
In reply to Matt Oquist

by Julian Ridden -

Many thanks. Has there been any movement on movng the "View Portfolio" text link to a tab in the profile screen.

To keep the interface simple and to allow to go back to the profile, I would recomend having the profile tabs remain at the top of the portfolio screen as well.

Julian

by Matt Oquist -
Nope, no effort in that direction yet, though I just had a look and I think I could do it without changing more core files than I already do (so the module installation wouldn't get any harder).

I'll keep it in mind, but I'm more concerned with the DMS-related stuff right now. That's a lot more work, but it'll also have a much bigger payoff.

I did just add a search box next to the username menu, so sites with lots 'n lots of portfolio users will have an easier time, now.
In reply to Matt Oquist

by Julian Ridden -
I ended up figuring this out myself..Very simple really.

Instead of editing user/view.php we instaed add a line to user/tabs.php

Many users (ok, maybe just me) use the "upload review" assignment type. I have also now added this type of assignment to your portfolio code.

My changes are attached. Hope you can merge them.

I have included my cahnge with this post

by Matt Oquist -
Done. In CVS, and running on my dev system.

It still displays the editing controls inappropriately in several cases, and this is really the same problem as showing menu entries that are actually inaccessible to the current user.  And now that I've thought about it, it wouldn't necessarily take wicked-cool javascript to do this in sort of a middle-of-the-road way.  The filter module will just have to be lots smarter about what it puts in the menus, and that sounds like an interesting, tricky problem (because it has to be done generically).
In reply to Matt Oquist

by Diego Santiago dos Reis -
Hello Matt.

I'm having a problem in the install process. After I copy the files into Moodle directory, and open my moodle website/portfolio I get a blank page. As I haven't seen any doubts like this in this forum, I'm asking you, what can be the problem?

My moodle page is http://umbu.ied.dcc.ufmg.br/ead .

Thanks.
In reply to Matt Oquist

by Julian Ridden -
Am seeing potential issues with how "portfolio names" can be customised.

I just realised that as each student starts creating their own portfolio names the list is going to get huge.

Not to mention if they mistype a name and create a double entry.

How about this idea?

Make portfolio naming an admin function. Let the site admin create the allowable portfolio names (ie, Finished, in progress, Public, etc) and force the students through use of dropdown to only use the ones specified. This will assist teachers who can then quickly look, in this example, at all students "finished work" portfolio in one hit.

While I like the idea of students naming their own, the fact sadly is that students arent alwasy the best at naming conventions. I dont want teachers having to sort through huge lists of badly named portfolios.

Hope this makes sense.

by Art Lader -
Whoa, I had not thought of that naming problem, Julian.  surprise

I strongly second that motion!

-- Art

by Matt Oquist -
That absolutely does make sense, and in the long run I have something like your suggestion in mind.  The problem is that I think we need both - we need a list of normal, approved names and we need to allow students to invent new ones.  But the inventions need to be approved before they are used, and this just adds work such that I did it the simple, easy way for now and left the harder stuff for later.

Also, there is a general usability problem that the menus don't change relative to each other.  So you can select the "Monkey Studies" portfolio and course "Math101" and get no results, because of course nobody in Math101 did any work that ended up in a portfolio called "Monkey Studies".  But this is even harder to solve, and it might just have to stay the way it is unless we start doing really cool javascript stuff, and nobody does that sort of thing these days.  wink

But now that you've raised the issue, I'm reconsidering and I think that perhaps a standard, administrator-editable list of portfolios probably *is* the best way to go.

Thanks for the suggestion; I'll keep it on the back-burner and hopefully get to it soon.
In reply to Matt Oquist

by Matt Oquist -
Well, I've been hacking on a Pluggable Repository Architecture(TM) for a while now, and it's finally sufficiently un-broken to point some people to it.

It's all running on http://moodle.yi.org:1080/mdev6/, and you can feel free to log in there and poke around at it.

I have a very simple block ("My other files") showing up now; eventually that will query the database for files that have been shared to you, etc., etc.

I just finished up delete and did the publishing, sharing, and block all tonight -- so this is NOT well tested at this point. Er, this morning. Same difference. wink

Sharing is currently awkward, because when you "share" a file or folder, you're only granting the other user(s) write access -- but they don't get read access! I'll have to put more thought into it, but I think that perhaps this should be a change in the access_control module itself, to allow for some types of access to be tied together... but I'm not sure.  ("Publish" is for granting read access.)

It won't be very interesting if you're not logged in, because I haven't granted non-authenticated users any access to anything under the repository, and I haven't granted anybody else access to do so, either. (Oooo - now I get to drop a file under the access_control/Plugins directory!)

The code hasn't been put into CVS yet because it's not ready. I'm planning for it to be ready late next week.

I have attached it purely for those with academic interest; everything is under the "repository" directory. You are SO TOTALLY on your own if you put this on your system at this point. big grin
In reply to Matt Oquist

by Matt Oquist -
Oy!  I'd forgotten to implement file downloading.  So that's done now.
In reply to Matt Oquist

by Paul Nijbakker -
Hi Matt,

Have you tested your portfolio tool on Moodle 1.6 yet? It did not work for us, and upon removing it, we experienced a server crash (but since we are running a Windows server, it is not necessarily your module causing that smile)

Rgrds,
Paul.
In reply to Paul Nijbakker

by Matt Oquist -
Hi Paul,

I did the initial development on the CVS version of Moodle, but since then I've ratcheted back to working with the latest release version (1.5.3+).  I'm interested to know what errors you got, and next time I start with a fresh instance on my dev system I'll switch back to CVS.  (There's no reason this shouldn't work fine for any Moodle version.)

OTOH, the portfolio module is just plain broken at the moment, since I've been spending all my effort on the repository module.

I've added an appropriate warning to the portfolio_INSTALL file, though I just found out that one of my classes is cancelled today so I might have time to fix things sooner than I thought.

Now that you've mentioned it, I suppose I should also provide a "remove.php" to take everything back out.

And this brings up a question -- how did you guys take care of the patching business on your Windows box, and how could I automate that?  (Automating it on Linux would be easy...)  I haven't found a good way to do patching using PHP itself.

I ask because deleting the portfolio module will be quite difficult unless the original versions of the patched .php files are available in predictable locations from which the remove.php script can copy them back into place.

All this is to say -- thanks for trying this out, sorry it's broken right now, I'll test on newer versions of Moodle soon, and in the meantime feel free to pound away at the repository module.  I haven't tested that in newer Moodle, either, but it's working fine for me in 1.5.3+.

And I agree about the server crash... the portfolio module wouldn't cause that unless one of the assignment-related files called a routine that didn't exist, and the server just gave up the ghost.  (And I can make this not happen, too, by just checking for the portfolio APIs' existence before calling them.  Oooo!  "Removal" problem solved!)

Look for this later today, or maybe not until Thursday afternoon.

by Matt Oquist -
I just updated my code so that the patched files (online/assignment.php, uploadsingle/assignment.php, and user/tabs.php) will behave correctly without being changed if the portfolio module is removed.  (They now check for the portfolio library's existence, and for the existence of functions they call.)

This will be in CVS later today.

by Matt Oquist -
Hi Paul,

I fixed the known problems with the PF module today, and it tests fine for me in 1.5.3+ and the latest CVS update.

But there are lots of changes right on the horizon, so installing it right now probably isn't much worth the hassle.  Wait a couple of days and there should be a lot more to install.

Tangential notes:
I've added multi-item and recursive (only for admins) publishing/sharing of resources through the repository now.  (Think of the repository as a regular UNIX filesystem - each person owns her own home folder, and the admin can create whatever she likes wherever she likes, and everybody can share whatever they like, etc.)

Also, when a user creates a new resource in the repository that resource inherits the ownership and access controls of the parent folder.
In reply to Matt Oquist

by Matt Oquist -
I just uploaded a massive update in CVS.  You can play with the latest code at http://portfolio.spdc.org/portfolio/.

I'll describe more later.

NOTE: I've done some testing, but not rigorously at this point.  I'll be shoring up this code over the next four days.
In reply to Matt Oquist

by Matt Oquist -
OK, so here's the latest.

I'll start off by noting that I've not implemented paging for either the repository or the portfolios, so scaleability is limited ATM. This won't require any changes to the DB, though, so I'm leaving it alone for now to implement features that do require DB changes.

Portfolio names are gone, having been replaced by "concept areas". The admin's "My portfolios" block has links to the page to add new concept areas and the page where she can designate people who have elevated publication permissions.

It is now possible to manage the publication of all of your portfolio items at once, by a drop-down menu on the "View my portfolio" tab in your user profile. (And I just realized there's a problem with this... what if you want a certain item not to be published? I'll have to think more about this, because the model I've been using assumes that a user can put anything in her portfolio whenever she likes, but it can't be published until it's teacher-approved. I just forgot this while I was coding recently... So consider the details of the current implementation temporary.)

The course names where portfolio items originated are still stored, but ATM they're not displayed or searchable in the interface. I foresee a more configurable searching interface in the future in which these items may be available.

Portfolio items can now be titled and have search-keywords applied to them. The searching interface provides search fields for titles and keywords.

Portfolio items are now viewable online with relevant links back to original assignment submissions (only useful for the owner, I guess, I'll perhaps have to avoid displaying that in general) and back to originating courses when that's relevant.  Oh - and student reflections.

Lastly, it is now possible to submit a repository file into your portfolio through the "File keeper" block.

I've reconfigured the demo server to use virtual hosts, so the correct URL is now http://portfolio.spdc.org/, though the old one will work fine to get you to the site.
In reply to Matt Oquist

by Matt Oquist -
Just FYI, our intended schedule is to be ready for serious testing within the next month or two, and to be "rolling out" a production-ready "supported" version by July-August.

I would say we'll be ready for testing by the end of March, but the lack of paging makes load-testing rather pointless, and I'm not sure how soon I'll get to that.
In reply to Matt Oquist

by Matt Oquist -
Just a warning -- the stuff in CVS right now is a mess.  I'm trying to rearrange the directory structure, and as we know, CVS makes that...less than convenient.

I'll post again when things are fixed, but for (right) now there's really no good way to get the latest version of the code.
In reply to Matt Oquist

by Matt Oquist -
OH-KAY.  So things finally seem to be "moved" to their new places, so 24 hours after right now the portfolio.zip module download should be fully updated.  Until then, you can
cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous@cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/moodle co contrib to get the latest code.

I discovered yesterday that what I had in my local source tree (which is what you see running on the demo server) did not match what was in CVS, and CVS was a mess.

CVS is still a mess (now it has lots of lovely empty directories), but now at least it has the right code, and the installation instructions worked when I tested them just now.
In reply to Matt Oquist

by Daryl Hawes -
Matt said "CVS is still a mess (now it has lots of lovely empty directories)"

A good alternate command might then be:
cvs -z3 -dP:pserver:anonymous@cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/moodle co contrib to get the latest code.

The capital 'P' in the switch list "prunes" empty directories so the end result isn't cluttered by folders that once held content.
In reply to Matt Oquist

by Mark Burnet -
I must say that this module looks great.  And for the most part runs well on my test 1.6 system.  Since installing, I have seen this error pop-up when trying to access admin/index.php "Fatal error: Call to undefined function: specialtoascii() in ../moodle/repository/repository_base.class.php on line 1016"

Have I installed something improperly?
Where would one find this function defined?
In reply to Mark Burnet

by Matt Oquist -
Hi Mark,

I'm glad to hear that it's working well for you (for the most part).

Nope, you've not made a mistake, that's a bug related to the fact that I'm not keeping up with 1.6 development completely, though I'm trying (and getting better, I think).

The file on your system will be repository/repository_base.class.php, and I'd like to know what's on line 1016 of that file for you. I have this in my version:
$path = $textlib->specialtoascii($path, current_charset());

I ask because the error you got seems to indicate that you'd have something more like the following, and I don't know why you would:
$path = specialtoascii($path, current_charset());

I'm expecting to have a new version up by the end of the week with greatly improved test score support and viewing. I'll test that version with Moodle 1.5 and 1.6, and it should be pretty solid.

As we get closer and closer to an actual "release" of this [set of] plugin[s] someday, I'm going to try to be more conservative in my changes. But we're not quite there yet, so even the database tables are still changing from version to version, but in smaller and smaller ways as we go.

I've got to do better with versioning, too...
In reply to Matt Oquist

by Hans de Zwart -
Well Matt,

I am quite excited about your development of this portfolio add-on/module/integration (I am not sure about the correct word).

I have just installed a version that I downloaded yesterday through the moodle.org download page on my Moodle 1.5 latest stable test installation. I got no real errors and everything went quite smooth.
The direction this portfolio is taking seems great and I like the idea of there being a force (I guess from your employer...) to keep this up to date. I am always very cautious in getting dependent on anything that is outside of the standard distribution.

When development slows down a bit I would like to translate everything into Dutch. Or should/could I start already?

Of course I have some questions (one is how to add concept areas, I see no options for that as an administrator), but I will wait to ask them until I have done some more testing.

Thank you very much for your effort, and yes, your profile page has triggered me to do something with Software Freedom Day.
In reply to Hans de Zwart

Re: Portfolio plugin

by Matt Oquist -
portfolio add-on/module/integration
Heh - at this point I'm pretty sure the right term is plugin, though I obviously didn't realize that when I originally misnamed this thread.

I am always very cautious in getting dependent on anything that is outside of the standard distribution.
It's very wise to be very careful about what you put into production; I think you're taking the best approach.  I haven't really talked about it at length with anyone-Moodle yet, but my employer and I are trying to make this a solid piece of work that has serious chances of becoming included in the standard distribution, so let's cross our fingers and hope (and keep working)...  smile

When development slows down a bit I would like to translate everything into Dutch. Or should/could I start already?
Great!  No, you want to wait a bit.  Sometime during June and July would be the best time to translate, I believe.  Will that work for your schedule?

I must also warn you that I haven't tried to optimize the internationalizable strings very much.  When there's an obvious way to reuse a string I do so, but right now everything is pretty much unsorted, disorganized, and possibly occasionally redundant.  This whole area should be cleaned up, and that is something that could be started anytime.  If you can spare any cycles and look things over and send me comments/recommendations I'd appreciate it.

Of course I have some questions (one is how to add concept areas, I see no options for that as an administrator), but I will wait to ask them until I have done some more testing.
I hope you've seen the link by now, but if you log in as an administrator and look at the portfolios block you should see an 'Admin' section that has the relevant links.  This actually belongs in the site Admin page, I know, but I'll probably leave this in the block until that exciting day when the plugin becomes standard.

Thank you very much for your effort, and yes, your profile page has triggered me to do something with Software Freedom Day.
You're welcome, thanks for your feedback and the translation offer.  And I'm thrilled that you're going to help celebrate SFD '06!  We haven't finalized or announced it yet, but just FYI we're probably going to have a team sponsorship request period during the month of May, and possibly into June.
In reply to Matt Oquist

by Hans de Zwart -
Thank you for your extensive reply!

It is good to know that you are aiming for the standard distribution. I will try and push for that on the upcoming Moodlemoot in England this summer.

June/july is an excellent time to start translating. It is early summer holiday and that is always a good time for us teachers smile
Reusing of strings sometimes is a bit problematic for translation. Sometimes it leads to weird things if suddenly the context changes. I will to ask Koen Roggemans about the "official " policy on this...

And, yes I have now found the relevant admin section.

Thanks again!
In reply to Matt Oquist

by Christian Bokhove -
This could well be one of the most significant modules to have been made since ages. Great work.
In reply to Mark Burnet

by Matt Oquist -
BTW, somebody moved this discussion out from under "General developer forum" (where it belongs) and under "Activity modules", where it does not belong.

The portfolio system is not an activity module, nor will it become one.  Who can I talk to about moving this thread back, and perhaps renaming it to "Portfolio plugin" instead?
In reply to Matt Oquist

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Matt,

As requested, this discussion is now in the General developer forum. It's not easy to re-name discussions, unless they're being split, however the subject line of new postings may be changed.
In reply to Helen Foster

by Matt Oquist -
Great - thanks, Helen!

Surely there's a SQL command that could rename the discussion... wink
In reply to Matt Oquist

by Ulf Jonsson -
Matt,

I've managed to install the PF system last night and  I  played around with it.
All is working fine except that I could not do an add to my portfolio from:
...assignment -> submit file ->  add to my portfolio
I will get an 'Unable to Submit the specified portfolio artifact.'

So I tried your demo server and the error is repeated there!
( I've created an assignment in the 'guest course' and tried to
submitt an image then add to my portfolio).

I've tested both FF & IE both give the same error!

This is a great piece of work! 

Best  Ulf
In reply to Ulf Jonsson

by Matt Oquist -
Hi Ulf,

Yeah, sorry about that.  Julian Ridden identified the bug a few days ago, and it's fixed in my code.  But since CVS has been down, I haven't been able to submit the update!  sad

And since the time I was ready to upload new code (Friday), I've started making more changes that will require more testing, etc.  But I just checked, and CVS is still down, anyway.  Maybe I can get a new version uploaded here to the forum as an attachment later today (my time, EST).

But here's what I sent to Julian, and it fixed his system:

OK, here's the problem:

In the process_contents() method in portfolio/type/assignment/type/uploadsingle/portfolio_item_assignment_type.class.php, there's a line like this:
$newfile->abspath = "$src_filearea/$srcfile";

That line should look like this:
$newfile->abspath = "$CFG->dataroot/$src_filearea/$srcfile";

BUT - that's with the current version of my code, and to be honest I haven't been tracking versions carefully at this point, so I can't be sure I know what you have.

If you want to investigate further with the version you have, you can set $CFG->debug = 8 in your config.php and then try to add an upload-file assignment artifact to your portfolio.  View->Page Source the resulting error page and email it to me - there will be lots of debugging info in there that will tell us what happened and where.

Alternatively, I expect to have another version uploaded by the end of this week [except for the CVS problem...] with greatly improved test-score handling, and I'll test things [relatively] thoroughly before that's uploaded.  I've implemented an 'uninstall.php' script for the portfolio plugin, so that it's easy to delete everything and start over with portfolios.  (Very useful for my testing.)  That should get you up and running with the new version lickity-split.

> When I then few the portfolio , I do see the entry created, but no item is attached.

When a portfolio artifact is successfully submitted, you are automatically redirected to "edit" the artifact, at which point you specify relevant concept areas and add the title, student reflections, and search keywords.  Your items were not successfully submitted, so you were not automatically forwarded.  You can edit the items manually (by using the action menu in the rightmost column) but it doesn't really matter since the artifact hasn't actually been copied into the portfolio.

With this particular bug, it looks like you can undo the damage if you go into the file manager as admin:
http://your-moodle.com/repository/?repoid=1&action=list
and delete the folder this portfolio item is supposed to go in; in your case you can just delete everything under Top/portfolio since nothing's been successfully inserted into the portfolio (except for online-type assignments, now that I think about it).

> This errors not appear in the ?online? assignment type.  Also, the titles of objects in the portfolio is always ?untitled?. Have I missed something?

When you successfully submit an online-type assignment, are you forwarded to specify a title for your new artifact?

You'll probably want to add some concept areas to your site; you'll find the necessary link in the admin's Portfolio block.  Should these be called something other than "concept areas"?  They're actually called "tags" in the code; it would be especially easy to change what they're called in the UI.  Feedback welcome!

So here's what I recommend:
  1. Delete everything under Top/portfolio, or if you want to preserve successfully submitted online-type artifacts (and assuming this is a Linux box), do a 'find <dataroot>/repository/portfolio' and identify the empty directories.  Then go to http://your-moodle.com/repository/?repoid=1&action=list and delete them.
  2. Make that code change I mentioned above; it might work or it might not, since I'm not sure which version you have (my fault, I realize).
  3. Hang on 'til Friday [except for CVS...] or so, when I'll hopefully have a better version available.

Thanks for letting me know about this bug.

Regards,
Matt

In reply to Matt Oquist

by Ulf Jonsson -
Matt,

I patched the code as you  instructed:
-------------
In the process_contents() method in portfolio/type/assignment/type/uploadsingle/portfolio_item_assignment_type.class.php, there's a line like this:
$newfile->abspath = "$src_filearea/$srcfile";

That line should look like this:
$newfile->abspath = "$CFG->dataroot/$src_filearea/$srcfile";
-------------

and this fixes the problem!

Thanks for the quick response!

I will watch out for coming updates, under the meantime I will keep on
testing!

Best /Ulf
In reply to Matt Oquist

by Matt Oquist -
OK, so since CVS is still down, I'm attaching the newest version to this post...except I'm not, because I've exceeded the upload limit.  So grab http://majen.net/misc/portfolio.2006.04.04.zip instead.

The bug discussed above has been fixed, and I'm sure I've introduced some other ones. evil

I wasn't able to test the postgres7 support because I don't have time and couldn't even get Moodle to install in it -- I don't know PostgreSQL and I don't remember how I did it last time.

I also found and fixed a bug where recursively sharing/publishing files in the repository claimed to delete all previously specified access but actually didn't. Now it does (and the code is cleaner, too).

I'm going to wait for CVS to be back up before I do more.
In reply to Matt Oquist

by Matt Oquist -
Well, CVS is up and so is the newest code.  I'm not sure how soon the regular .zip file will be updated, though, since I'm not sure exactly how that mechanism works and I know anonymous CVS won't be up for a while longer.

The latest code is now running on http://portfolio.spdc.org/, too.

Unfortunately, the most interesting new thing (test scores storage and management) is only available to admins, so you'll have to try that out on your own sites.

Here's what's on my TODO list:
  1. Implement paging for the filter plugin and the Moodle Native repository plugin's browser.  Right now, if you put 10,000 files in a single folder, too bad, and if your portfolio artifact search returns more than 100 items, you just don't see them all.  (The limit was formerly 10, but I changed it.)
  2. Optimize the access_control plugin for consideration as part of the roles & capabilities architecture.
  3. Implement [un]zip and restore through the Moodle Native repository plugin, so it becomes (I think) a drop-in replacement for Site Files.
In reply to Matt Oquist

by Francis Brouns -
This is a very nice add-on to Moodle and we are testing it, because we need similar functionality.

We downloaded portfolio.zip on 30 March and this version is giving some problems. It seems to be working fine with PHP4, Apache 1.3, but on PHP5 it does not work completely. My question basically is on which Moodle version is this supposed to run, and which version of PHP is used?

With PHP5 the access_control installs, reports several success counts for tables created, and then continues with the message that a block should be created.
Installation of the portfolio reports about 12 (can't remember exact number) times of success for creating tables, but then the page remains blanc. It does not show the usual 'Continue' link.
Installation of the repository reports about 4 or 5 success for creating tables, but then finishes with the message that installing of the repository was unsuccesful.

All blocks seem to be available though. The assignment does have the new button 'Add to portfolio'. Clicking this results in a white page, and nothing happens.

This has been tested on a new Moodle installation. Extract latest Moodle 1.5.3, add your modules, replacing several Moodle files and then installing Moodle (on a Windows machine, both XP or Windows 2003 Server). I have access to Linux machines, but this instance of Moodle has to be installed on a Windows 2003 Server (for now).

I will try again with your new release and see if the problem still exists.

Kind regards,

Francis Brouns

In reply to Francis Brouns

by Matt Oquist -
Hi Francis,

I've never tested with PHP5, so this isn't shocking news.  I'll fire up a PHP5 test box and give it a whirl today.

I don't have an ETA on PHP5 compatibility at this point, though.

Thanks for giving it a try and letting me know!
In reply to Matt Oquist

by Francis Brouns -
Hi Matt,

I assumed so, so I installed PHP 4.4.2, but now I can't even get Moodle to connect to the database. Have to sort that problem first and will keep you posted.

Francis
In reply to Matt Oquist

by Matt Oquist -
Ugh. So in PHP5, the following code produces the following results:

Code:
$twin->designee = 'happy';
echo "1: $this->designee";
$twin = $this;
$twin->designee = 'uh-oh';
echo "2: $this->designee";

Results:
1: happy
2: uh-oh

I don't think this particular problem will take too many code changes, but I don't even see why it's a problem after looking over the "Migrating from PHP 4 to PHP 5" page on php.net.

So sorry, but no PHP5 support for now.
In reply to Matt Oquist

by Francis Brouns -
Matt,

thanks for confirming that PHP5 is the problem. I'll switch the machine back to PHP4. The person who installed the machine simply took the latest version of PHP 5.1.

Francis
In reply to Matt Oquist

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Just do this instead (works in PHP4 and PHP5 due to our implementation of clone() in moodlelib.php):

$twin = clone($this);
In reply to Francis Brouns

by Matt Oquist -
And I'll include a note in the installation instructions about which versions of Moodle are [intended to be] supported.
In reply to Matt Oquist

by Nicolas Szilas -
We are quite interested in the portfolio plugin. We want to include it in a small scale project based course. So we installed it on the 1.5.3+ version of Moodle. We meet three problems:

1) When trying to add an artifact to the portfolio from the "My porfolio" block, the resulting page does not display anything after "Add portfolio artifact: Artifact types" (note that this remains even when an assignement exists and files are uploaded in the repository)

2) When trying to add an artifact from the assignement page, the "add this to my portfolio" button leads to a blank page.

So, the only way to add an artifact in the portflio is via the filekeeper module.

3) When we want to publish it, we don't manage to add users, groups or courses into the left columns. More precisely, whoever is selected in the right column, the left column only adds (if not already there) the current user. We get exactly the same problem when we try to admin the portfolio and add some authorized publishers.

Have we missed something in the installation?
Note that similar problems have been mentioned in previous posts.

Thanks a lot,

Nicolas
In reply to Nicolas Szilas

by Matt Oquist -
Hmm. I just downloaded portfolio.zip and installed (by copying and pasting from the installation instructions) on a fresh 1.5.3+ and everything works for me. I suspect installation problems. Let's see if we can figure them out.

1) When trying to add an artifact to the portfolio from the "My porfolio" block, the resulting page does not display anything after "Add portfolio artifact: Artifact types" (note that this remains even when an assignement exists and files are uploaded in the repository)
Do you have anything in the portfolio/type directory of your Moodle installation? Here's what I see on my system:

test5 /var/www/mdev22/portfolio/type # find .
./assignment
./assignment/type
./assignment/type/online
./assignment/type/online/portfolio_item_assignment_type.class.php
./assignment/type/uploadsingle
./assignment/type/uploadsingle/portfolio_item_assignment_type.class.php
./assignment/portfolio_item.class.php
./file
./file/portfolio_item.class.php

2) When trying to add an artifact from the assignement page, the "add this to my portfolio" button leads to a blank page.
I don't have a good guess on this one. Can you set $CFG->debug = 8 in your config.php, test again, and then send me the source of that blank page?

3) When we want to publish it, we don't manage to add users, groups or courses into the left columns. More precisely, whoever is selected in the right column, the left column only adds (if not already there) the current user. We get exactly the same problem when we try to admin the portfolio and add some authorized publishers.
Wow -- that's really bizarre. I've never seen that behavior at any point in my development and testing. Again, could you set $CFG->debug = 8 in config.php, attempt to publish to a user/group/course, and then send me the resulting HTML? It will have lots of debugging information to help us diagnose the problem.

Have we missed something in the installation?
That's my best guess ATM for #1 and #2, though #3 sounds like it might be related to server/PHP configuration issues...somehow. (I'm grasping at straws to make this guess, though.)

Note that similar problems have been mentioned in previous posts.
Which other posts are you thinking of? The only thing that comes to my mind is Marc Dastous' problem back at the beginning of February, but that bug has been fixed since then.
In reply to Matt Oquist

by Stéphane Morand -
Hi Matt,

I work with Nicolas and I'll try to answer for him.

For 1) the files on the server are the same

2) and 3) I've just sent you the resulting html files

Thanks
In reply to Nicolas Szilas

by Andrew Hu -
Hi Matt,

Just to confirm Nicolas's results as I am having the same problems.
Server Side is Mac OS X 10.4.6 ,Apache 1.3.33, php 5.04, MySQL 4.1.3

I installed on a fresh copy 1.5.3+ using unix compare function from read me so I am actually thinking more along the lines of permissions and access control.

I'll try and get a debug output for you.
In reply to Andrew Hu

by Matt Oquist -
HI Andrew,

sad I'm sorry there's so much trouble to be had with this code.  Let's get it fixed.

I'll appreciate the debugging output whenever you can send it to me.

Also, please be aware that I have some deadlines related to other things coming up this week, so I probably won't get back to this until at least Wednesday.
In reply to Matt Oquist

by Andrew Hu -
This appears to be a php5 problem. The Portfolio module works fine on a Apache 1.3 or 2 with PHP 4 but use php 5 and we lose all the access control functions on /moodle/access_control. Looking at the database the data seems to be there still with the correct relations so it seems the data is being stomped when you try and add a user/group/course to the permissions structure.

In reply to Matt Oquist

by Jason Cole -
Hey Matt,

We've got Pg8 running here at the OU. There are a few queries in the repository plugin that make Pg unhappy. I'm getting two recurring

ERROR: argument of WHERE must be type boolean, not type integer

SELECT * FROM mdl_groups WHERE 1

ERROR: argument of WHERE must be type boolean, not type integer

SELECT * FROM mdl_course WHERE 1 AND id NOT IN (1)

I'm not sure why you've got WHERE 1 in the select statement.

Jason

In reply to Jason Cole

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
The most reliable cross-database method I can think of for getting true and false is to use ('1' = '1') and ('1' = '0').
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Matt Oquist -
Thanks; I'll change my initial WHERE clauses to use those.
In reply to Jason Cole

by Matt Oquist -
We've got Pg8 running here at the OU. There are a few queries in the repository plugin that make Pg unhappy.
Oops.  Thanks for letting me know.  I'll, uh, beef up my Pg testing here... blush (This could be a problem with Pg7 too, for all I know.)

I'm not sure why you've got WHERE 1 in the select statement.
Code perspicuity.  I can do this:
$where = ' WHERE 1 ';

if (some condition) {
    $where .= ' AND field='.$value;
}
if (some other condition) {
    $where .= ' AND otherfield='.$othervalue;
}

It's cleaner code than any alternative I've come up with, and I haven't bothered to check but it shouldn't make a whit of difference to the speed of query execution.

Other suggestions are welcome, of course.
In reply to Matt Oquist

by Jason Cole -
That's what's causing Pg to throw the error. I just tried the following experiment in pgAdmin.
Running the query select * from mdl_course where category='1'; returns a nice list of courses. Running select * from mdl_course where 1 and category='1'; throws the error: ERROR: argument of AND must be type boolean, not type integer

However, replacing the 1 with 'true' does not error out, nor does putting quotes around the '1'. I don't know how this would behave in MySQL however.

If I could make one more database suggestion? (I know I'm late to this party, but we really like what you've done). I noticed you've got user defined data (like concept catagory names) set as the primary key on your tables. Generally speaking, users should never enter the primary key on a table, especially if they can edit it later. Changing the primary key will cause a cascade of key changes and is difficult to maintain. I would recommend making the ID field the PK, as it's machine generated and hidden from the user. If you need to put a constraint on a user entered field, force it to be unique. But use the ID as the foreign key in other tables.

I hope this is helpful. I really like what you've done and we're looking at potentially adding a few features (HTML snapshots of non-assignment submissions, etc). But I was a little surprised when entering the same catagory twice threw a PK constraint error.

Jason

In reply to Jason Cole

by Matt Oquist -
I just tried all three of the following successfully in mysql 4.1.12 and Pg7:
select * from mdl_user where '1';
select * from mdl_user where true;
select * from mdl_user where ('1' = '1');

Any suggestion as to which is best?

Generally speaking, users should never enter the primary key on a table, especially if they can edit it later.
Good point; thanks. I'll switch the PK and use UNIQUE. I'll have to look over all my tables...blush
In reply to Matt Oquist

by John Rodkey -
My vote would be for
select * from mdl_user where true ;
because that conveys the logical sense you desire.

A side effect is that the statement can be read easily.

In reply to Jason Cole

by Matt Oquist -
But use the ID as the foreign key in other tables.
Oy - I didn't think to respond to this the first time. I always and only use the incremented 'id' field as a foreign key. I was just being lazy by defining my PK in order to ensure the uniqueness of the appropriate set of fields.

I've done both of these things for all my tables, and the second is why I'll have to look the schema over and add real uniqueness constraints.
In reply to Matt Oquist

by Julian Ridden -
As always, many thanks for this awsome contribution smile

Now to my wants big grin Well more like ideas for discussion.

Would it be possible to add a "download portfolio" option. I would see this function working similar to the moodle backup by creating a zip of all works and letting the user download it.

Why I here you ask? Well at least in my environment (7-12) our users are wiped at the close of each year. This is due partially to ease of setup for a new year and also because of drive space limitations. Providing users the ability to download their portfolio as onle large chunk at the end of a year to burn to CD would be extremely useful.

Thoughts? Comments? Would anyone find this usefull or even have other uses for such a function?

by Matt Oquist -
Would it be possible to add a "download portfolio" option.
Dude, you're READING MY MIND. (Well, technically "our minds", since I think my sponsor mentioned it to me first. But that doesn't have the same punch.)

That's exactly where we're headed.  This is on the list after ZIP functionality and right alongside regular Moodle backup support.  I'm hoping to share big chunks of code among three major features:
  1. allow regular Moodle backup and restore of portfolios and the native repository
  2. provide downloadable portfolio archives
  3. provide standards-compliant transfer of portfolio artifacts to other systems (such as Elgg)

In reply to Matt Oquist

by Dirk Herr-Hoyman -
Let me comment on
3. provide standards-compliant transfer of portfolio artifacts to other systems (such as Elgg)

I will suggest that the IMS ePortfolio be used here. See http://www.imsglobal.org/ep
Why? This would allow for import/export across multiple ePortfolio systems, not merely this one.

I was just talking to Martin L about this yesterday, wrt to Elgg, in a private conversation.

Such an addition would make this much, much, much more attractive to
my institution, University of Wisconsin-Madison.
In reply to Dirk Herr-Hoyman

by Matt Oquist -
I happened not to say "IMS" right out loud in that post, but yeah, that's what we're hoping to do.  approve

I don't know if MartinL or the other Elgg-Moodle folks have started any work on IMS import/export yet, but I haven't so I'll be eager to use any good preexisting code that helps with this...
In reply to Matt Oquist

by Ger Tielemans -
Would be great to have an IMS compliant import/export for the portfolio records: It would give Moodle the status of a serious portfolio product in the Dutch Portfolio Discussion Arena in secondary education. Could convince people (i mean school boards) to make finally the move to Moodle.

by Jason Cole -
It will be important for us at the OU as well.
In reply to Jason Cole

by Ger Tielemans -

And if you are building this....

I forsee in The Netherlands people creating subsets of this IMS/Portfolio format for different education sectors(as they do now for the LOM-metadata of learning resources): still XML formats but with their own control DTD.

... would be nice to be able to plugin your own XML scheme with your own checking DTD for import and export.

By the way Jason, how is Moodle/OU going? 
In reply to Matt Oquist

by Julian Ridden -
To make this easier to administrate I have added links to /portfolio and /repository to the main admin screen.

I know you don't like patching moodle code (if possible) so I thought I would put this patch up here for those who want it.

The patch checks to see if portfolio or repository code has been installed. If so, displays links to the admin screens of each.

You will also need to add the following to your two lang files:
portfolio.php
    $string['adminhelpportfolio'] = 'View, search and edit users portfolio items';

repository.php
    $string['adminhelpportfolio'] = 'View, edit and maintain user repositories';

Matt, if you think this is a good idea, then I would also suggest changing the breadcrumb trail so that it leads back to administration

by Matt Oquist -
I would also suggest changing the breadcrumb trail so that it leads back to administration
Hmm.  I'm undecided about doing that before the admin page actually has links in every installation instance, because it might be more confusing than it's worth. I'll keep this in mind and mull it over.

I can probably be easily convinced, so feel free to explain why, overall, this will be more helpful than confusing.

by Julian Ridden -
Just caught up with martin D. He is happy to put my changes into th 1.6 for the admin screen. His major comment is that you cant use $CFG->repository as it is being reserverd for the moodle repository code.

Could you use $CFG->repo instead?

by Matt Oquist -
Actually, I'm intending/hoping that this code becomes the "Moodle repository code". We'll see how that goes.

So at this point I'm going to leave the repository with the name it currently has. We'll see what happens with Moodle core and change later if necessary. (The portfolio system will use "the Moodle repository code" when the dust settles, assuming that the core repository API is sufficient to the task.)

(The above paragraph assumes that $CFG->repo, the way you're referring to it, implies that the repository code used by the portfolio system would live under $CFG->wwwroot/repo instead of $CFG->wwwroot/repository. I'm not familiar with the admin page, so I'm not sure how it works and I haven't seen anything like $CFG->repository before.)
In reply to Matt Oquist

by Julian Ridden -
woops..that was just me linking to the directory...excuse me blindly pasting code smile

I would also love to see this become standard code :D We will have to see how it goes.
In reply to Matt Oquist

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
I'm just leaving things freer for the future. No need to change the directory name, just the variable name that specifies your directory.
In reply to Matt Oquist

by Matt Oquist -
OK, got caching & paging implemented for the filter class (used to display portfolio artifacts and portfolio test scores) and the repository, so these plugins are now at least somewhat scaleable instead of completely unscaleable.

The latest is in CVS, and, as always, available here for download and available here on our demo server.

This frees me up to put more time into the portfolio, repository, and roles/capabilities discussions. Yay!

(I know there's a bug in the individual test score display code, but 1) it shouldn't be too hard to fix and 2) I'm not really happ with any of that design ATM anyway.)
In reply to Matt Oquist

by Andy Pellow -

Hi Matt,

I've installed the Portfolio Module and love it but am having a couple of problems.

If I go to the top level repository I get the following error message:

Warning: array_slice(): The first argument should be an array in C:\Program Files\xampp\htdocs\skillnet\repository\repository_base.class.php on line 376

and if I click on the My Portfolio link I get the following error message:

Warning: array_slice(): The first argument should be an array in C:\Program Files\xampp\htdocs\skillnet\lib\filter_base.class.php on line 1076

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Andy

In reply to Andy Pellow

by Yves Dufour -
Hi Matt

Installed the latest portfolio module , great all tables installed but when testing it from a student point of view , trying to add an articfact seems impossible..
got nothing excepted ... nothing wink)

see attached
Attachment portfolio_00.jpg
In reply to Yves Dufour

by Yves Dufour -
I understand btter now the steps involved in creating artefacts into the portfolio, I need first to upload an element into the repository before adding it to the portfolio... OK

but when displaying the portfolio, I get also the same message as Andy,
----------
Warning: array_slice() [function.array-slice]: The first argument should be an array in /home/medecine/public_html/Moodle/lib/filter_base.class.php on line 1076
-----------
what is the problem behind this message (using Moodle 1.5.3, PHP 5; MySQL 4.1.18)

did a first translation draft into French for internal purposes.... will transfer it later to Moodle French group...

Yves
In reply to Yves Dufour

by Matt Oquist -
Ah - maybe there should be a link in the "Add portfolio artifact" table that just goes directly to the user's repository home folder. That would be easy and a boon to usability.

Thanks for the inspiration!
In reply to Matt Oquist

by Matt Oquist -
This is in CVS now, too. Thanks again for bringing this up. I hadn't thought of a good way to do this, but I think what's in there now will be useful (and hopefully not too confusing).
In reply to Andy Pellow

by Matt Oquist -
Sorry for the delay in my reponse; I've fixed this bug now.

The code just went up into CVS so it should be available in the latest .zip file within 24 hours.

Thanks for your help and your patience!
In reply to Matt Oquist

by Yosly Hernández -

Hello!

i need help me, because i do not installing modules en moodlesad

Regards!

Yos;)

In reply to Matt Oquist

by Chad Outten -

thanks Matt for your continued efforts. im very impressed by your work & continue to follow the development closely. i see great value in the portfolio concept & there is a definite need for more effective content management via a digital repository. ive downloaded the portfolio.zip & extracted this to my moodle root directory [test environment].

i understand the portfolio module is complimented by access control, repository & filters BUT im not clear which files, folders need to copied, relocated where within the moodle dir? cld somebody pls provide me some clear, simple steps. sorry > unix only install instructions contained in .zip

im using win xp pro, moodle 1.5.3, php 5.0.4, mysql 4.1

thanks in advance,
chad big grin

In reply to Chad Outten

by Matt Oquist -
Hi Chad,

The same instructions work for Windows and UNIX, except that you can't use the example commands in the file. But you can drag 'n drop from portfolio.zip into the appropriate places in your Moodle installation.

Since this project isn't "officially released" yet, we haven't made any attempt to figure out a good way to install on Windows given the absence of the 'patch' tool. You have at least the following alternatives.
  • You could just overwrite your existing tabs.php and assignment.class.php files with the appropriate ones in portfolio.zip.
  • You can look at the corresponding .diff files and manually copy the new code into your existing files.
  • You can compile 'patch' for Windows. I'd look at cygwin to do this.
I hope this helps; please let me know if you have further questions.
In reply to Matt Oquist

by Nathan Byler -

First Off, Great Job so far, love what I see!

I performed the install of both the repository and the portfolio.  Everything appears to be in working order, except that I cannot add a file or folder to the repository.  When I click on My Files, I have the option to add a file or folder, but upon uploading, it returns me to the ../repository/index.php page. 

I read through the posts and noticed nothing about MySQL 5.  Is that supported?

I am running Win2K Server, Apache 2.0.52, PHP 4.3.10 and MySQL 5.0.21

I am running Moodle 1.6 Beta and had to upgrade MySQL.

Thanks!

In reply to Nathan Byler

by Matt Oquist -
MySQL 5 is not supported and does not work. sad

I would take some time right now to test this out some more and work on it, but I've gone on with other development and the code on my system is currently in what can be most charitably described as "a state of transition". wink

For now, I've added a note to the *_INSTALL.TXT files that MySQL 5 is not supported. I'll post here when that changes.
In reply to Matt Oquist

by Julian Ridden -
Ahhhhh CRAP!

That explains all my issues. I thought it was the new moodle 1.6 code.

Our server was migrated to MySQL5 during our last term break and has been broken ever since sad

I know I like to think the world revolves around me..but I would love it if you could update this at some point as my college is extremely interested in pursuing your code.

Now I will have to see if I can roll back without too major an issue.

Thanks for all your work so far smile

by Matt Oquist -
I'm really sorry I didn't make this clear earlier; I could've spared such fine folks as yourself so much pain...

Now you've spurred me on, though. smile
In reply to Matt Oquist

by Michael Harrison -

Hi there,

Any news on Mysql 5 support???

Thanks

In reply to Michael Harrison

by Matt Oquist -
Hi Michael,

Yes! PHP5 is supported in my current development code, sitting on my development system. cool

But since my current code isn't ready to commit to CVS, it'll probably be a few days before it's available. (It wasn't hard. I started using xampp recently because I'm on the road, and I didn't realize it but it's PHP5. So I changed every $twin = $this in access_control/lib.php to $twin = clone($this), and it's working fine.)

So if you're a hacking sort, you could do the same thing in the meantime until I get my latest code finished, tested, and uploaded.
In reply to Matt Oquist

by Haruhiko Okumura -
With all the $twin = $this cloned, I still get a blank page after I hit the addthistomyportfolio button. (I also get a footer-only page once in a while but this might not be related to PHP5.)

BTW I translated the three language files into Japanese. It looks like some English words are hardcoded outside the language files.
In reply to Haruhiko Okumura

by Geoffrey Rowland -
Picture of Plugin developers
Matt et al.

Having changed every $twin = $this in access_control/lib.php to $twin = clone($this), I'm also still getting a blank page  sad on hitting the [Add this to my portfolio] button with PHP 5. All works if I toggle back to PHP4 (I'm also using XAMPP). Is there anything else I need to tweak?

This is all very impressive stuff. Keep up the good work!
In reply to Geoffrey Rowland

by Matt Oquist -
This sounds like an installation problem, and not a PHP5 problem. If you still have this system around, can you tell me what's in the portfolio/type directory?
In reply to Matt Oquist

by Julian Ridden -
Again, many thanks Matt. I know PHP5 was not part of your original spec, so the fact you are updating for the community demand is much appreciated.

i am more than happy to work as a testbed for any code you need tested in a 1.6 environment.

JR
In reply to Matt Oquist

by Vince Scheivert -

We moved to MySql 5 just before school began and haven't been able to get the mod to work and I just its still not compatible.

Do you think this module will be operational with MySql 5+?

Any information or update would be greatly appreciated?

In reply to Vince Scheivert

by Matt Oquist -
I've been using mysql5 in my testing environment since before August 4th...works for me. Can you be more specific about the problems you're having?
In reply to Matt Oquist

by Matt Oquist -
I ought to make the following public announcement, as well.

The Open University folks are doing some really great work on their own portfolio initiative, and we're having a definite meeting of the minds.

At this time I'm confident that in the long-term, their project will supersede this one in stability, scaleability, and features -- but schools here in New Hampshire need a production-ready solution by this fall. My goal at this time is to aid the OU team's project to the degree that I can help, while increasingly integrating this project with the infrastructure they will be providing until the point when this project is superseded entirely.

The "production-ready" version of this project that we will announce by the fall will probably be a combination of this current version and infrastructural elements (Roles & Capabilities, Repository API) that will be provided by the OU project. Once we announce that this project is "production ready", we will be planning from that point forward to provide upgrade paths to the final portfolio system that ends up in standard Moodle (which I expect to be the OU effort, though nobody's really talking about this yet AFAIK).

I assume most of you are already aware of the following, but these are related discussions to watch:
Roles and Permissions architecture
RFC ::: Open University Respository System Proposal
Wiki page on Roles & Capabilities
RFC ::: Open UniversityElectronic Portfolio System Proposal

In reply to Matt Oquist

by Ali Hastie -

Hi

Do we need to have Linux/mac operating system to install the portfolio module? we are running Moodle on a windows 2003 server.

cheers,

Ali.

In reply to Matt Oquist

by Rick Chretien -
Hi Matt!

Don't forget to tell the Moodle Community about the Seacoast Professional Development Center in Exeter, New Hampshire and its support of your work on the electronic portfolio.  And we promote opensource solutions for technology integration in K-12 schools.  We can be found at www.spdc.org.
In reply to Matt Oquist

by Melissa Newman -

Matt,

I was also thinking about an electronic portfolio system which I described generally in the "New Projects Ideas" forum.   http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=52690&parent=252785

The main problem with your format of implementation is that I want to store 12 years worth of data for one student, and a table format will not work.  I need a database format.  Also, I would want the student to have more control over the displaying of the data.

Basically, my implementation is for a homeschooling child where I would want something to show officials if need be, and also something for the child to have for life knowledge or just because (mementos).

Melissa

In reply to Melissa Newman

by Matt Oquist -
Hi Melissa,

The system I'm almost finished creating ;) should work for what you want to do; the Seacoast Professional Development Center is sponsoring this project's development precisely so this system can be used in New Hampshire public schools to store cumulative career portfolios.

If you use the artifact searching button you effectively have access to all a user's artifacts through a "database" interface, as you describe it. The "portfolios" are simply collections ("buckets", if you will) by which subsets of a user's artifacts can be grouped together for presentation purposes.

Yes, the presentation aspect of this system is quite weak. I just committed new code to CVS today that gives the user the ability to change the colors of the text and backgrounds in her portfolios and artifacts; it's a small effort toward making the presentation customizable and hopefully more cheerful than the more-highly-accessible but very-boring black-on-gray-on-gray.

by Melissa Newman -

Here is an example of a document that I want to include in my son's portfolio. I refer to it as a montly evaluation / review document.

1. I want an edit box to come up that will automatically put in the labels for me.  For example, if I say I am creating October Evaluation / November Goals the headers would automatically be created.

2. The courses would be obtained from the course database file and the appropriate headers created.

3. The heading stuff should be autocreated.

4. Each subject should be stored independantly in the database.  This would allow somebody to review the data by either month by month or by subject by subject.

5. Right now I do not have any electronic items to include.  But in the future I will, most of them will be narrations either student written or that I transcribe.  Anyway, there should be the option to link in samples of work.

6. The order of the items listed in the Review is the order that they should be presented in the portfolio.

A. Present by month or present by subjects.

B. Show all reports first and then sample work.  Report, sample work, report, sample work. etc.

C. Auto create logical presentation of the items, similair to DocBooks with a table of contents that is autogenerated, an index, and jump to next section, jump to next page, jump to next month, jump to next subject.

What I am talking about probably applies more to younger students than high school or college level, but the underlying concepts should apply.  An example of a college one would be:

Programming

Wrote a program in PHP to create portfolios. 

Demo: <here>

Source code: <here>

Requirements Doc: <here>

Test plan: <here>

User docs: <here>

<Previous Page>                  <toc><section>                     <next page>

History

My favorite course in history was US Community history, because it changed my perspective of history from simply facts and dates to people.  We visited the <history museum>, and I wrote a final project on <an event in my hometown>.

Basically the goal is to make it personal while showing off the abilities of the student.

Student Monthly Evaluation and Goals

Shlomo Newman, Grade 1, October 2006

Reading

October Review

We did not do any formal learning of reading skills. Shlomo did independent reading almost every day. He would pick his own selection to read and read it at the best of his ability. For words that he did not know, he made his best guess as opposed to just giving up.

November Goals

We are going to review CVC words through tracing, Copywork and dictation.

Writing

October Review

We were working on writing the letters of the alphabet. Shlomo can copy the letters by looking at the letter and writing it freehand, but there are some letters where he still has trouble writing them from rote memory. He also has trouble remembering if he should start the letter in the middle or the end of the line.

November Goals

We are going to use our phonics workbooks to practice tracing letters and writing them by seeing the word next to the area to write in.

Arithmetic

October Review

We worked on logic skills (mazes, games: checkers, games: chess, games: battleship, etc.). Shlomo also worked on using math in real life, for example, he learned how to properly record our window measurements, so we can buy plastic for them for the winter.

November Goals

Start again our Kumon Math Workbooks, Simple Addition. We are going to work on creating a calendar (Jewish and English).

Science

October Review

Shlomo worked on the planets and how they affect the seasons: rotation around the sun makes a year. Rotation of the moon around the earth makes a month. Rotation of the earth on its axis makes a day. We also talked about why there is winter and summer and why the seasons are reversed in the different hemispheres.

November Goals

Shlomo is going to make a calendar (Jewish and English). This will also touch on math. We will also do some science experiments.

Social Studies

October Review

Shlomo studied Ancient Egypt. We learned about Pharos, Egypt Geography, Nile River, Hieroglyphics, Ramses II, King Tut, Mummies, pyramids, sphinx, and some basic talk about the religion of Ancient Egypt (multiple G-ds, Animal representation of G-ds, Pharaoh King G-ds). We also talked about the bible stories that took place in Ancient Egypt in the Exodus story.

November Goals

Shlomo will continue to study Ancient Egypt in terms of the society: how people lived and the items that they used. We will them move onto Mesopotamia, and the stories that took place in that area from the bible – stories from Genesis. Finally, if there is time, we will talk in general about the three major religions: Judaism, Christianity, and Muslum. This last part may carry over into December.

The study of the Calendar will cover some social study topics.

Art

October Review

Shlomo played around with art supplies.

November Goals

Begin the 1st grade curriculum for Art Print study.

Music

October Review

Shlomo played around with the keyboard making up his own music.

November Goals

Shlomo will begin the study of musical notation from “Piano is easy”.

Hebrew Reading

October Review

Shlomo reached lesson 20 in his computer Hebrew Reading Program. He is relying on whole word techniques for reading as opposed to sounding out the words.

November Goals

We will finish his Hebrew reading program. We will begin a phonics reading book to help with these skills or we may just move onto the next program level. Even he is not getting everything out of the computer program at least it will be building a foundation.

Hebrew Writing

October Review

Did not do anything with Hebrew Writing.

November Goals

Shlomo is still not showing an interest in working on this skill. Will hold off for another month. By using a computer program and cutting/pasting activities, this should not be a major issue at the current time.

Jewish Studies

October Review

Learning Hebrew words that are related to Jewish items: Torah, Ner Tamid, etc.

November Goals

We will be learning Jewish Holidays and the Jewish Calendar.

by Matt Oquist -
Wow! This is a long post. smile

I think you should probably take a look at the Database activity module; it allows you (teacher) to create arbitrary forms for your students to fill in.

The SPDC Portfolio system doesn't currently integrate with the DB module, but we're planning to. (No ETA. sad )

by Melissa Newman -

Here is another example of how I would want to present the material in the repository / portfolio.  Basically I would want to create a table of contents, then I want to create one or more links to each item in the table of contents therebye showing that we touched on each of the items in the TOC at some point, and here is an example of the child's work in that topic.

Grade 1, Core Curriculum

Shlomo Newman, 1st Grade, 2006 – 2007, Core Knowledge Foundation

Language Arts

Reading and Writing

Phonetic Awareness

<Work Book Citation>

<Video of student reading. link>

Reading Comprehension and Response

<Narration from beginning of the year, link>

<narration from end of year, link>

Writing

<Copywork sample, link>

<creative writing sample, link>

Spellinng, Grammar, and Usage

<Copywork sample, may be same as above (database usage), link>

History and Geography

World History

Early Civilations

Mesopotamia

<link to narration>

Ancient Egypt

<link to narration>

by Matt Oquist -
You can get close to a presentation like this, but the PF system will do the TOC-type stuff for you and present the artifacts in a table. If you (Moodle admin) create Subject areas such as:
  • Language Arts
  • Reading and Writing
  • Phonetic Awareness
  • Reading Comprehension and Response
  • Writing
...then your student can create PF artifacts tagged with those Subject areas, and your students' "My Portfolio" page will be sorted by Subject area, which is what you've described.

by Melissa Newman -

This is my final portfolio item request.

I want to create a lifetime encyclopedia / glossary.  Basically, as the child learn knowledge they enter into their "wiki".  I am calling it that, because Wikipedia is the final product I am envisioning, but all of the entries will be directly from the student as opposed to the community at large.  As the child gains knowledge, they add it to their personal encyclopedia.

Maybe the teacher could have the ability to add the templates for the pages for each student given a word list:

category: Ancient History, Egypt, 1st Grade

Pharoah, pyramids, sphinx, Ro, King Tut, hieroglyphics, etc.

Actually, what I described above is probably more a function of courses than a portfolio, but the data needs to be stored by the student as opposed to the class.  There is a glossary feature and wiki page feature, but it is based on the "students" as a group as opposed to each student indiviually.  That is why I am mentioning it in this section.

by Matt Oquist -
Yes - I totally agree with you that Moodle needs learner-centricity that it is currently lacking. However, I believe MartinD disagrees with us so we don't have any obvious recourse. smile I think it would be really great if all the activity modules were also supported in a PF context, but this would require some re-architecting that would probably be cut off at the knees.

Actually, the SPDC Portfolio system has the architecture to add support for any activity module, but the assignment module is the only one we've tackled at this point because it was the only one of obvious import.
In reply to Matt Oquist

by Haruhiko Okumura -
In filter_weblib.php, the line
$strshowallstudents = get_string('showall') . $students->students;
should be
$strshowallstudents = get_string('showall', '', $students->students);
because the word order of "show all" and "students" differs in some languages.
In lang/en(_utf8)/moodle.php it is
$string['showall'] = 'show all $a';
but in lang/ja(_utf8)/moodle.php
$string['showall'] = '$a all show'; (actually in Japanese)
In reply to Haruhiko Okumura

Ynt: Re: Portfolio Module

by Ethem Evlice -

$string['showall'] = 'all $a show'; (in Turkish) gülüyor

Word order is realy important.

In reply to Ethem Evlice

Re: Ynt: Re: Portfolio Module

by Matt Oquist -
Thanks for pointing this out to me. I'm currently working on scalability and performance for the repository plugin and the access_control module (and the filter module, which I haven't touched yet), and once I've got this code whipped into shape I'll look into the language files.
In reply to Ethem Evlice

Re: Ynt: Re: Portfolio Module

by Matt Oquist -
Would either of you like to make the necessary modifications in the code and the language files to fix this? That would be great, and I'll include your changes in my next CVS commit after you send them to me.
In reply to Matt Oquist

Re: Portfolio Module - Installation

by Simon Bryan -
Hi Matt,
Have been trying to install the Portfolio module(s) on 1.6, however am stuck at the patch for the user/tabs.php. The instructions say to use:
patch -b < /tmp/portfolio/portfolio/user/tabs.php.diff.cvs
However that file does not exist in my download (which  I put in /tmp for simplicity of following the instructions), if I try to use the pre 1.6 version I get a 'Hunk #1 Failed' which if course is to be exepcted. Is the diff.cvs version anywhere?
In reply to Simon Bryan

Re: Portfolio Module - Installation

by Simon Bryan -
Don't worry, I read up on the patch command and realised I could ust edit the files directly. All working now, great job, we will be training staff on this in the next few weeks as many have asked for this type of facility.
In reply to Matt Oquist

by Corey Koltz -
Thanks for working on this module.  I am in the middle of the install currently on the repository module install specifically.  I have it installed, but it doesn't show up in either of the blocks areas (admin or regular).  I did the install and I can go to the index.php file and displays, but I don't see the blocks listed.  I am running 1.6, PHP5, MySQL4, on a Mac OS X Server 10.4.7.

Thanks,

Corey
In reply to Corey Koltz

by Corey Koltz -
I decided to do a fresh install of moodle and then install the Portfolio modules.  Came through fine (mostly) outside of patch of the DIFF files, the one mentioned above is completely gone and another one in the official 1.6 and 1.6.1 has changed so it errors because one line is added and the diff file isn't looking for.

Anyway, when I run the actual http://localhost/moodle/portfolio/install.php, all are successes except the last four and a line says unsuccessful.  Underneath where the button says continue, it says successful, I clicked the link to add the portfolio block and then I add the block to the main page of moodle.  One thing I did try though is upload an artifact, it goes to the Add portfolio artifact: Artificat types page, and nothing else?

Corey
In reply to Corey Koltz

by Matt Oquist -
I'm just about to upload a new version (hopefully today if testing continues to go well). I'm removing 1.5 support entirely, so you can be sure the proper diffs will be included this time. (I was alerted to the missing diff files a couple weeks ago, but haven't done a CVS commit since then.)

Thanks for your patience, and sorry about the [current] mess.

In reply to Matt Oquist

by Corey Koltz -
Thanks for the update.  We are actually looking at using this during our training of teachers in two weeks.  Post when it is uploaded!

Thanks,

Corey
In reply to Matt Oquist

by Jamey Barber -
Please, please, please post a link here.  I have had so much trouble with CVS.  Looking forward to using it!

Thanks!

In reply to Matt Oquist

by Corey Koltz -

Any chance for an upload yet?

Corey

In reply to Corey Koltz

by Matt Oquist -
No...but I'm hoping it's soon.  blush

Everything was testing along just fine and...I realize I need to come up with a new design for access_control inheritance.

Closer every day, though. smile
In reply to Matt Oquist

by José Luis Granda -
Hi, everybody.

Please, where found a es_UTF8 for portfolio plugin?
In reply to José Luis Granda

by Matt Oquist -
Hi José,

There isn't one, but if you're interested to produce one once this project is released, that would be great! Let me know if you'd like to help translate, and I'll email you when we release.

Thanks,
Matt
In reply to Matt Oquist

by Matt Oquist -
The update is in CVS!

I have finally run 'cvs commit' on my development tree after all these months of optimizing.

"Sorry that isn't fixed, I'm 'optimizing' right now."

"Oh, that'll be updated soon; I'm still 'optimizing'."

Well, I'm done optimizing for now. The repository and access_control code is significantly different; the portfolio code (by way of the filter module) is only slightly optimized at this point, but further optimization will have no ramifications on the DB so can safely be postponed.

Now the plan is to test and retest and un-break some things and add some other things (if possible) before the big release at the end of August.

Lest you feel compelled to email about them, I should also mention that there are currently three known bugs:
  1. repository: the version history display is broken
  2. repository: regular users have "change owner" in their menus (which they shouldn't), and the attempted ownership changes don't work (which is good -- Be like a UNIX, be like a UNIX...)
  3. access_control/index.php is broken -- totally blank
I don't consider these showstoppers, and they'll be fixed by release time.
In reply to Matt Oquist

by Corey Koltz -
Cool, for the CVS impaired, how does one get the updated code from CVS smile
In reply to Matt Oquist

by Julian Ridden -
I grabbed the update an installed. Is it safe to assume that PHP5 support is not in yet? I get blank pages when trying to add or view items in portfolios

by Corey Koltz -

I got it successfully installed, but don't quite understand it myself.  We get all the screens to display now, but should we be able to upload artifact's or are they only transferable from items uploaded in moodle courses from students?

We are running PHP5 also and it does seem to work outside of what is mentioned above.  But we have no students yet.  Our first class for teachers is tomorrow.

Corey

In reply to Corey Koltz

by Matt Oquist -
Hi Corey,

Sorry I never replied to this within a useful timeframe. Yes, you can upload artifacts apart from any course. If this is still an open issue for you (or if you have any other questions) please don't hesitate to ask.

by Matt Oquist -
PHP5 support is in now, BTW.  It's been in for a couple of weeks. Sorry if I didn't announce that here; I don't remember. tongueout

I just submitted new code last night that implements a simple google-wannabe searching interface, with the old menus available as "advanced" searching.
In reply to Matt Oquist

by Enrique Castro -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
Hi Matt,
I have just erased and re-installed your porfolio system. Installation went as a charm, without any error, all success messages.

I have installed the Portfolio keeper block, however, I cannot enter into /access_control/, I get the message: "Sorry, there is nothing to do here. Please click "Continue" to proceed to another place where many interesting things can be done"

I can add items to respository, but I cannot publish or share them. If a user (not the owner) clicks on a link in the Top repo for a folder of a user that positively has shared/published to thsi one, I always get the message  "Access to this resource has not been granted to you." By the way, I always see the  Top repo with all "selec action"  boxes grayed out  (but the one of the active user).

Clearly the access controls are not working properly,  I must have done something wrong on installation. I am working with moodle 1.61.+ on PHP 5.1.2 and mysql 5.0.22

After trying to add a repository item to portfolio, a success message comes informing you are being redirected to Editing, but a header  "Edit portfolio artifact " appear followed by
Fatal error: Call to undefined method filter_portfolio_item::start_filter_form() in /var/www/moodleulpgc/portfolio/filter_portfolio_item.class.php on line 651

In addition there are a few things that you may consider to change in the code:
a) Usernames are used to identify the repository/portfolio items on screen. The fullname should be used, as in other parts of moodle (for instance, forum posts headings).
b) the Top  item in the  hierarchical tree lists all users, wether accesible or not. ¿is this page paginated? We at ULPGC have 23.000 enroled students, I cannot imagine how long would this page take to contruct and display the 23.000 repository folders table. I think that the page need to list only folders accesible to the user, do not show things to forbid access later.
c) there should a link to the course  in the repos/portfolio breadcrumb so the  users could return easily to the course he was  before jumping into the repository.

The system looks excelent, I hope you could address these minor but essential for usability.
Enrique
In reply to Enrique Castro

Re: Portfolio Module / Buggy Version

by walter jenner -
Hello!

It seems that there are quite a lot bugs in the recent version of the Repository Module.

For Example it is not possible to reach the search from the File Keeper Block. Even not in the online demo (http://portfolio.spdc.org/). In line 124 in repository/index.php $action is overridden with REPO_ACTION_LIST, what seems to be the cause of the problem.

There are some other problems as well... (try editing the keywords of a repository file - the name of the submit button is 'action' instead of 'action1')

I think it should be mentioned at the download area that the recent version is not working very good.

Maybe there is a newer version in progress, or even available?

greetings, walter

In reply to walter jenner

by Matt Oquist -
Definitely unstable ATM; I'm pushing a lot of new features and usability changes in and uploading to CVS frequently and without extensive testing. We're aiming for an "official release" in the coming weeks, and the code base will settle down at that time, at which point I will also remove the following note, which has always been included in every one of the four INSTALL-HOWTO files:

CAUTION: DEVELOPERS AND TESTERS ONLY should install this module.  It is NOT ready for production use and no one but yourself can be held responsible for its effects on your systems.

smile

With all that said, I appreciate your feedback and I'm aware of the bugs you've mentioned. I've been focusing on the usability of the portfolio/artifact searching and interaction (adding and removing artifacts from portfolios).

Test scores are also very broken ATM, I know.

Right at this very moment, I'm working on adding "Portfolio advisors" who have access to lock artifacts and portfolios that have been reviewed, so they can be published to the world without the student changing them after the fact.
In reply to Matt Oquist

by Julian Ridden -
Thanksfor the update.

the directions you are takinf ound fantastic and I look forward to trialing tem on my site.

Any word on wether your work will start becoming accepted as moodle portfolio code in a future release, or are Martin and the gang taking a different tact.

i am sorry if this has been answered elsewhere, I have been a little out of the loop.

by Matt Oquist -
I've been even MORE out of the loop, I promise. big grin

The official Moodle PF system will definitely NOT be this one -- the OU stuff is the planned PF roadmap unless something's changed since last April/May.
In reply to Enrique Castro

by Matt Oquist -
I have installed the Portfolio keeper block, however, I cannot enter into /access_control/, I get the message: "Sorry, there is nothing to do here. Please click "Continue" to proceed to another place where many interesting things can be done"
Yes -- access_control was...in a period of transition, shall we say. It's all better now. (and has been for several months, but I wanted to address your post even though it's now old)

I can add items to respository, but I cannot publish or share them. If a user (not the owner) clicks on a link in the Top repo for a folder of a user that positively has shared/published to thsi one, I always get the message "Access to this resource has not been granted to you." By the way, I always see the Top repo with all "selec action" boxes grayed out (but the one of the active user).
This was on purpose, but it wasn't documented. sad I just added the following note to portfolio_INSTALL-HOWTO.TXT:
  • To enable publication/sharing of portfolio artifacts and File Keeper contents among your Moodle users, go to config.php and set: $CFG->access_control_owners_can_chmod = true;
Clearly the access controls are not working properly, I must have done something wrong on installation. I am working with moodle 1.61.+ on PHP 5.1.2 and mysql 5.0.22
access_controls were in a broken state at the time of your post, but it wasn't your fault.

After trying to add a repository item to portfolio, a success message comes informing you are being redirected to Editing, but a header "Edit portfolio artifact " appear followed by
Fatal error: Call to undefined method filter_portfolio_item::start_filter_form() in /var/www/moodleulpgc/portfolio/filter_portfolio_item.class.php on line 651
Hmm. Sounds like a bug or an installation problem. This works now.

a) Usernames are used to identify the repository/portfolio items on screen. The fullname should be used, as in other parts of moodle (for instance, forum posts headings).
Where am I not using the fullname? I've been using it for as long as I remember, and I just checked to be sure. ?

b) the Top item in the hierarchical tree lists all users, wether accesible or not. ¿is this page paginated? We at ULPGC have 23.000 enroled students, I cannot imagine how long would this page take to contruct and display the 23.000 repository folders table. I think that the page need to list only folders accesible
Yes, this is paginated, which is far more efficient than doing all the ACL checking on 23.000 users before displaying the three to which you may have access. smile (Seriously, that's why I opted for pagination.)

c) there should a link to the course in the repos/portfolio breadcrumb so the users could return easily to the course he was before jumping into the repository.
I totally agree, and I this is already in place. But the catch is that it only works if you've added the Portfolio Keeper block to the course...but now that I think about it, the course should of course be trackable for breadcrumb purposes when creating a PF artifact from a submitted course assignment. (Duh.) This is going on the TODO list (and should be easy).

Thanks for your comments, and I apologize that it took me so long to respond.
In reply to Matt Oquist

by Matt Oquist -
I ought also to mention that I've dropped support for 1.5 entirely; these plugins require >= 1.6 now. (And the INSTALL-HOWTO files are up to date, so they reflect this.)
In reply to Matt Oquist

by Matt Oquist -
Warning - CVS is broken ATM, I know. I hope to have this fixed later today (Friday, EST). I'll post here when I commit less broken code.
In reply to Matt Oquist

by Bob West -

Hi,

I've downloaded the portfolio module from moodle.org.
I'm running on moodle 1.5.4+ (which can run the module according to the download table).

But when I try to add the module moodle returns:

Module "access_control" is not readable - check permissions

Module "filter" is not readable - check permissions

Module "portfolio" is not readable - check permissions

Module "repository" is not readable - check permissions

any idea's ?

greets

In reply to Bob West

by walter jenner -
you need to install the single modules first. there should be a good install_readme.txt in the portfolio folder you have downloaded.

if you've installed all modules correctly, then you should check the permission, that means that moodle has access to the folders access_control, filter and so on.

it could also mean that the folders are empty or not contain all needed files.

greetings, walter
In reply to walter jenner

by Bob West -

Thanks for the fast awnser!

I've read the install-howto file and followed the instructions.
The folders are not empty.

Could you maybe explain to me more detailed how I check the permissions?

Or can it be possible that version 1.5.4+ does not support this module and the download table is wrong? And where can I find a version that runs on 1.5.4 then?

greets

In reply to Bob West

by Matt Oquist -
Ah - I see this answer now. (I replied before without reading everything.)

Unfortunately, these modules aren't available for anything before 1.6. I don't remember for sure OTOMH, but I think it's just a very small handful of 1.6 API changes that cause the dependency. This could be modified with some hacking, and I might consider taking a patch that restores 1.5 compatibility, even though I previously decided just to assume 1.6 after it was released.

The unicode change will take some consideration, as the functions used to clean up user data for filenames/paths will have to be aware of 1.5 and 1.6. There are other chnges, too, but I can't name them ATM.

WRT permissions: You'll want to use 'ls -l' to look at the ownership and permissions of the plugins' files, and 'chown' and 'chmod' to change them.

If you're using Windows, I'm sure you'll have to click on some things instead of typing.
In reply to Bob West

by walter jenner -
Check The Permissions means that you ensure, that moodle can read these folders.

If you have the folders yourmoodle/access_control etc. and if they are not empty then there is a problem. You should set the rights for these folders to 755 if you have a linux server, or something similar for windows servers.

If you set these permissions and the problem resists, then there is apparently another problem, but i don't think that the modules don't run on 1.5.4.

I hope you get this version to run, because i'm interested how good the current version runs... so good luck smile

greetings, walter

In reply to Bob West

by Matt Oquist -
Sorry about the incorrect entry in the modules database; the portfolio, repository, filter, and access_control modules now require Moodle 1.6+, though the errors you're getting suggest something more like a file ownership or permissions problem on your server.

I've updated the database entries to specify Moodle 1.6+, and also to note that these are still in development and considered unstable...though we're really close to release at this point. I have one feature to finish and another to repair, and that should wrap it up, aside from final, thorough testing and debugging.
In reply to Matt Oquist

by Bob West -

OK,

uuhm I contacted my host and they are not willing to cooperate to update the mySQL version to the needed 1.4.16...ect ect

So can I get the stable 1.5 files from somewhere? (because it looks like I'm still running on this version for a while).

For example mail or post in a thread or something?

greetings

In reply to Matt Oquist

by Geoffrey Rowland -
Picture of Plugin developers
Matt

Really looking forward to the next release of this working with Moodle 1.6.2+ tongueout!

It seemed to be pretty much working in our old Moodle 1.6 beta install... and was very impressive stuff cool, but then 'got broken' in our upgrades through Moodle 1.6.1 to Moodle 1.6.2

Will it have any specific MySQL/PHP requirements? We are currently running on MySQL  4.1.20 PHP 4.3.9 on CentOS 4 (=RHEL 4)
In reply to Geoffrey Rowland

by Matt Oquist -
This should work fine with all 1.6.* versions, and AFAIK I just have one more feature to fix in my dev version for full 1.7 support.

Nope, no specific requirements for MySQL/PHP, other than the default Moodle requirements.
In reply to Matt Oquist

by Bob West -

Can someone please post or give a link to the portfolio module which is working on 1.5.4

So that I can go on developping my site smile

thank you in advance!

In reply to Bob West

by Matt Oquist -
Hi Bob,

Unfortunately, there isn't one. 1.6+ is the requirement, and the earlier versions that I could send to you that would work on 1.5 simply aren't stable, complete, or anything close to production-ready.

Regards,
Matt
In reply to Matt Oquist

by Albertino Fernandes -
Hello

I´m testing the portfolio module on version 1.6.2+ on a local windows machine.
Followed  the instructions, installed ok the access_control, filter and repository.
However when I tried to install the portfolio (go the portfolio folder instruction) the browser page goes blank and the instalation does'nt complete.
I'm I missing something here? Can you help?

Thanks in advance.

Best regards

Albertino
Attachment PortfolioInstall.jpg
In reply to Albertino Fernandes

by Bob West -

SAme problem here,

on a linux server..

In reply to Bob West

by Bob West -

Also I get this erros:

Fatal error: Call to undefined function filter_ids_csv() in /home/first/public_html/access_control/lib.php on line 3894

In reply to Bob West

by Matt Oquist -
That's either an include() error on my part (possible) or an installation error on your part. That function is defined in /lib/filter_base.class.php; do you have that file on your system?
In reply to Bob West

by Matt Oquist -
Interesting; you're both seeing this. Sounds like it's my problem. mixed

We'll be doing much stricter testing in coming days as I hammer in the last couple of features and the codebase settles down this next week or two; we'll do some serious debugging at that point and I'll be testing exactly what you're seeing...though I did a totally fresh install just yesterday with no problem. This is making me worried that what I have on my system doesn't match what's in CVS. sad

So the answer is "I don't know, but we'll be testing more specifically soon and I'll keep this in mind".

Thanks!
In reply to Albertino Fernandes

回應: Re: Portfolio Module

by 景東 王 -

I try  the the portfolio module on version 1.6.2+,and get the same blank page.

Are there any people can help to resolve?

Thanks

In reply to 景東 王

Re: 回應: Re: Portfolio Module

by Matt Oquist -
Hi 景東 王,

Do you have the following files in your root Moodle directory?

portfolio/lib.php
repository/lib.php
access_control/lib.php
access_control/access_control_datalib.php
lib/filter_base.class.php
lib/filter_weblib.php

I'm trying to think of a good way to simplify the installation; it's my guess that some of your files aren't in the right places.
In reply to Matt Oquist

by Albertino Fernandes -
Hello Matt

In my system the files you describe are all there. The problem still remains.

Best Regards

Albertino
In reply to Matt Oquist

by Emanuel de Jesus -
I had the same problem on a Linux server with Apache and PostgreSQL and after checking the location of the files that you mentioned, I realized that the repository and access_control files were not where they should be. After copying them to the proper location, I went to http://localhost/moodle/portfolio and proceeded with the installation. I got error messages in the process, but it seemed to continue nevertheless. When I returned to the main page, all I got was a blank page. Then I decided to go to the admin page (http://localhost/moodle/admin) but all I got was an error: " portfolio_userdefaultheap: Insert failed. ", and couldn't continue. Any ideas?
In reply to Emanuel de Jesus

by Wesley Wakeman -

Portfolio Installed fine for me but when trying to use it I get either operation aborted (IE error) or

portfolio_view_heaps: No specified heaps.

Unable to save changes for the specified artifact.

Any ideas?

Wes
In reply to Wesley Wakeman

by Wesley Wakeman -

Firefox doesn't have the same issues as IE but I also get the Fatal error: Call to undefined function filter_ids_csv() in /usr/export/home/www/moodle/access_control/lib.php on line 3894

I went and check in the lib directory as you suggested the file was there but filter_ids_csv() wasn't contained within?

Wes

In reply to Wesley Wakeman

by Matt Oquist -
function filter_ids_csv() is defined in filter_base.class.php, which must be located here: moodle/lib/filter_base.class.php

Is that file there on your system? What version is in the @version line at the top of the file?

Did you use the install-linux.sh installation script?

(Is any of this still relevant, 3.5 months later?...)
In reply to Emanuel de Jesus

by Matt Oquist -
I should note that I haven't tested PostgreSQL for ages. I'm putting that on the TODO list.
In reply to Matt Oquist

by Phil Nichols -
Is there any kind of time scale for when this module will be ready for use on a production Moodle server?
In reply to Phil Nichols

by Nicola Bennett -

I'm also keen to install this module. Any idea when a stable version might be available.

I would just like to install the repository part of it. Is there any clear instructions on where everthing should be copied to?

I assume this is the best option for storing a sharing files?

Thanks
Nicola.

In reply to Nicola Bennett

by Matt Oquist -
HI Nicola,

Yes, the repository part can be installed by itself. Unfortunately, you'll have to follow the instructions in repository/repository_INSTALL-HOWTO.TXT, since the install-linux.sh will also install all the PF stuff you don't want.

I think this is a better option than any other that I've yet seen for storing and sharing files in Moodle, but lots of new things are in development, and the OU team has a project in the works that will overtake this one (if it hasn't already). I haven't kept up with it, though, so you'll have to look around on your own to find out more... (I'll try to post here again if/when I know more.)

Keep in mind that to share the files, you'll want to set the following in config.php:
$CFG->access_control_owners_can_chmod = true;
In reply to Phil Nichols

by Matt Oquist -
It was quietly "released" for production use on Moodle 1.6 in early December. 1.7 support is on the way right now.
In reply to Matt Oquist

Portfolio Module - display idea

by Melissa Newman -

Matt,

Using a Course Format to display Portfolio Data.

Here is an idea for displaying the portfolio data.  How about just modifying the course code.  All of the components that belong in a course a student would possibly want in their portfolio. 

Thinking outside of the box, this would even be true for tests.  The example I am thinking of SAT/ACT tests.  At the end of the course, the student indicates that they want to save their multiple choice vocabulary tests to their portfolio (or maybe a group portfolio even).  Then when they want to study for the SAT they can just go through the test again.

That would also solve all of my issues.  I could just create a "course/portfolio" for "Shlomo 1st Grade".  Then I could make a forum for my goals / review reports.  I could attach PDF files for the creative writing assingments that he did.  This should be true for any type of file: pictures, sound, or video.  Maybe you could even work with the transcript developer and provide a way to "create/add" a link to the student's transcript or term report card.

This would also psychologically limit the portfolio, because it would focus people on the main page to give a flow of the story.

Since you would just be modifying existing code, the development would not be that hard and the power would be immense.  Also, if we are talking about course/portfolio, there should be an easy way to move things back and forth from a course to a portfolio and from a portfolio to a course.  A student adds a project in development into their working portfolio.  When they want it graded, it gets moved to the course to be graded. Then when it is finished it could either be moved back to the working portfolio or to the presentation portfolio.  Yes, a student should be allowed to have more than one portfolio.

Melissa

In reply to Matt Oquist

by Matt Oquist -
I know I have several posts to which to respond in this thread, but I've been coding hard instead of forumming lately. smile

In summary, the featureset is considered complete at this point and we're only planning to fix bugs and solidify everything through testing before we officially release it.

New features include:
  • linux install script (should work but untested on mac - is 'patch' on mac by default?)
  • background & text appearance changing for portfolio displays
  • link in Portfolio Keeper block for teachers to find all their students' portfolios easily
  • portfolio reviewers have the ability to "lock" portfolios and artifacts so they can be published to the world without the user modifying them
  • every teacher is a portfolio reviewer

postgres is intended to be supported but has not been tested for months and months and months. :p

I'll start a new thread when we actually release the project, but testers and commentators are welcome to continue trying it in the meantime. smile
In reply to Matt Oquist

by Melissa Newman -

Sorry for my requests then.  I asked the owner to create homeschooling forum to discuss issues related to that area specificlly.  I was told to post in tracker.  Got my head chopped off.  Told to post here.  Not the right place. 

Just frustrated at this point.

Melissa

by Matt Oquist -
Interesting; I would've thought that having a specific forum for homeschooling would be a good idea. I agree with you there.

This thread here is for discussing the particular portfolio project I've been working on, and I appreciate your suggestions above (course/portfolio). Unfortunately, this project is nearly complete and ready for release at this point, so I can't do any significant reworking.

However, I still think it will be possible to do what you want to do even if the workflow won't be what you've pictured. This project provides each user with her own "home folder", so your children can upload whatever files they wish to that storage. Unfortunately, submitting an assignment in a course is not integrated with this system, so that would require an additional upload -- but that's not a difficult matter, so it needn't hold you back.

In addition, this system provides a relatively extensive set of searching capabilities so that your children's work can all be in their various portfolios and you'll be able to search through it easily even if they have a K-12 career's worth of material in the system.

I'm sorry I can't help more WRT the general resistance you're finding as you try to locate a place in these forums to call home as a homeschooling parent, but I still have hopes that this portfolio project can prove useful to you. We'll just need to have a meeting of our minds on how it can fit into your circumstances.
In reply to Matt Oquist

Re: Portfolio Module - 1.7 issues

by Julian Ridden -
With 1.7 due next week will you be modifying your code to fit in with the new Roles frameworks?

by Matt Oquist -
Yes and no. We'll make this portfolio project 1.7 compatible, but it will continue to use the access_control system it has now. (Changing this would be a huge task with insufficient payoff.)
In reply to Matt Oquist

by Diane DeMelo -
Matt,

Our institution is considering running Moodle 1.7 on a test server. I've been told that the e-portfolio module, which is an important feature we'd like to use, is not compatible with version 1.7. Do you forsee a time frame that it will be compatible?

Thank you,
Diane
In reply to Diane DeMelo

by Matt Oquist -
Within the next few days. The only known problem in my dev code is the My students' portfolios link in teachers' Portfolio keeper blocks; the roles & capabilities in 1.7 have totally changed the DB tables, so the hack that does that page in 1.6 will have to be re-hacked for 1.7. I interrupted work on that to respond to my 60-or-so unaddressed forum posts reaching all the way back to September. surprise
In reply to Matt Oquist

by Tracy Clark, Ed.D. -

Hi Matt,

I would like to use the Portfolio Module, but need the portfolio to be secured so that the student and teacher are the only two that can see the portfolio; will there be a more secure portfolio module in the future

Tracy

In reply to Tracy Clark, Ed.D.

by Matt Oquist -
Good idea...it's done and in CVS, but untested. (You should get this feature if you download portfolio.zip tomorrow.)

Go into config.php and add this line to prevent all teachers from having review/read/lock access to all portfolios and artifacts:
$CFG->portfolio_teachers_can_lock = false;
In reply to Matt Oquist

by Julian Ridden -
Hay Matt.

OK, latest bug reports.

This is still not at all happy in 1.7. Pretty much whenever I try and view anything to do with the portfolio this wonderful new message appears.

This SQL relies on obsolete tables! Your code must be fixed by a developer.

In 1.6 when trying to add an item to the portfolio through the block I get the following error:
index.php (portfolio): Error presenting portfolio file upload form.

When adding an item from an assignment I get the following error instead:

Would you like access to the 1.7 testbed I'm using? Or are you not up to 1.7 issues yet. (I am sure there are enough in 1.6 ;) )

by Matt Oquist -
Yes - 1.7 is not supported at this time just because I haven't even started to make it compatible.

Firstly, which version of the portfolio code are you running? (What does the $Id line in portfolio/lib.php say?)

Could you upload your apache error log from the time when you generated the above error messages?

Thanks!
In reply to Matt Oquist

Re: Unable to Delete the specified artifact

by ketan Desai -

hi i keep getting this message "Unable to Delete the specified artifact" when i try and deleate something that i have added. any ideas?

In reply to ketan Desai

by Matt Oquist -
Yep. You're hitting a bug I just fixed a couple of days ago. smile Upgrading should fix the problem.

--matt
In reply to Matt Oquist

by ketan Desai -

hi matt im a bit new at this how can i upgrage it and where do i find the upgrage?

thank you

In reply to Matt Oquist

by Ruben Jansen -

Last week I installed portfolio and it works.. but sometimes it reacts very slow and I get messages like "index.php (repository): Error displaying shares." What can this be? Something with write-permissions?

Thanks!

In reply to Ruben Jansen

by Kenny Backus -
I'm getting that exact same error ("index.php (repository): Error displaying shares.") when using the "Published/Shared to me" links of the File Keeper. I looked at the code in /repository/index.php and noticed that the error message gets printed when this line of code fails to produce a valid return value:

$rval = $repo->user_shares_index();

I can't tell where $repo gets declared, though, but I looked around in the repository base class hidden away in /repository/plugins/native, and noticed there are a few ways that "false" can be returned when the user_shares_index method is executed. I don't really feeling going into huge detail here, but it might not actually be a bug but instead a bizarre and buggy way of reporting that there are no shares in existence. This would make sense in my situation where I haven't effectively created anything yet, but maybe it's something else.
In reply to Kenny Backus

by Matt Oquist -
This wasn't actually a "bug". I went through the code at one point and made sure that every page loaded was guaranteed to print *something*, in order to prevent error cases from leaving pages totally blank, which is horribly confusing to the user and useless to me. (Trying-to-be-helpful User: "The page was blank when I did the thing." Me: "Huh? What thing? What kind of 'blank'?")

Unfortunately, I had a few places returning unuseful values, so I would interpret certain conditions as errors when they weren't really, and this is one of those cases. The user_shares_index() routine didn't find any shares, so it returned "false", and index.php said "False!?! Oh no! That must be an error!" So just a few hours ago I fixed user_shares_index() to return true in the case where there's been no error and no shares were found.

Thanks for your troubleshooting - definitely helpful. smile
In reply to Matt Oquist

by Vince Scheivert -
We are very interested in being able to use this mod. Installed the mod both individually and using the script but either way we are running in to an issue with the implementation when we go to add an artifact:

Edit artifact

Warning: reset() [function.reset]: Passed variable is not an array or object in /usr/local/moodle+WCASD/portfolio/lib.php on line 1691

Warning: current() [function.current]: Passed variable is not an array or object in /usr/local/moodle+WCASD/portfolio/lib.php on line 1692

Unable to display the specified artifact.

we have installed the latest version of the Mod as of 11/6/06
We have MySql5.0.22 and PHP 5.1.2

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Vince

by Jason La Greca -

Ive been experimenting with you fab. mod here. I do however have a few probs.

Using Mysql 4.1.21, Php 4.4.4, Moodle 1.61, on a linux server.

I can easily save from an assigment in moodle and have it recorded to My Portfolio.

However when i want to add a new artifact, be that online text or upload a file i get the following error... "portfolio_edit: Failed to save changes". 

any ideas...

ps sorry if you have covered this already... couldnt find it though

In reply to Jason La Greca

by Martin Dougiamas -
A note to those in this thread, I'm going to move it in 40 minutes to a new Portfolios forum for further discussion. Once it's there perhaps someone wants to start splitting it up?
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Matt Oquist -
Fantastic - thx, Martin. We have just a few details more to work out in the SPDC portfolio system and we'll consider it ready for production in Moodle 1.6, so it's perfect timing to start more fine-grained discussion.
In reply to Matt Oquist

by Juvenal Sahiri -
Installation on WinXP, Moodle 1.6 (apache, mysql, php bundle in moodle download package for windows).

Installed Moodle and launch http://localhost/portfolio and get a page with search but with each item in brackets (see print screen attached).

Also during the installation of the portfolio, I saw repository and portfolio being installed successfully.

I tried to go to http://localhost/access_control/install.php and got
You must be an administrator to You must be an administrator to view this page.
How do I go about becoming an administrator for portfolio. I did this being logged in moodle as administrator. I do not see Portfolio in the list of blocks or modules. Where do I find the documentation to adminster/use portfolio?

Attachment why_these_things_in_brackets.png
In reply to Juvenal Sahiri

by Matt Oquist -
Hi Juvenal,

The fact that you're seeing strings such as "portfolioheaps" instead of "Portfolios" indicates that your language files (lang/portfolio.php, for example) are not in the right locations. They should be under lang/en_utf8/ in your moodle installation directory.

There is no special portfolio administrator; you got that printout because the standard moodle function isadmin() returned false. Did you try logging out and logging back in again, and then going back to the access_control page?

by Paul Carden -

Matt,

I too am getting:

"portfolio_edit: Failed to save changes."

for adding a text artifact and

"Unable to save changes for the specified artifact."

for uploading a file.

The only percieved problem installing was with the link "open here first" on the same page as a continue button and clicking this link gave a page not found error.

Another possibly related symptom is that my subject areas box is empty, is my installation missing a means of adding this?

All help appreciated.

Paul

In reply to Paul Carden

by Matt Oquist -
I remember that we had these bugs and fixed them, and this is all working fine in my dev code (hope to commit to CVS soon!), so I'm considering this solved. I'll be committing a new version of the SPDC Portfolio patch with 1.7 support soon; if you have this problem with that version as well let's revisit it.

by Matt Oquist -
Yep - I think this is a bug we fixed sometime back in Nov. If it's still causing trouble please holler again. smile

by Matt Oquist -
The fact that you were getting that error indicates that either you found a bug or your installation had issues. Unfortunately, it's been long enough now that I really don't remember what the code was like at the time of your post, and it's working for me now, so I don't think it's worth trying to figure out exactly what happened.

I've now changed the code so at least it will fail gracefully there in the future... smile
In reply to Matt Oquist

Re: Portfolio Module - Error

by John Patten -

I'm receiving an error after installing Portfolio when trying to access Moodle administration.

The error is: "portfolio_userdefaultheap: Insert failed."

There is a continue button, but does not pass the error. It would appear I'm locked out of Moodle administration. No big deal, just a test server. But wouldn't want that to happen in "real life." 

Any suggestions for fixing this?

Thanks!

Update - After examining directories on server, now I just get a blank screen when attempting to access Moodle Administration. No error message, nada. What arethe unistall steps in regards to Portfolio? Not critical, but I am  curious.

Thanks!

In reply to John Patten

by Clif Kussmaul -
I encountered the same error.
Apparently you _must_ go to http://yoursite/moodle/portfolio and go through the portfolio installation before going to http://yoursite/moodle/admin.

Clif
In reply to John Patten

by Carol Mamczak -
I also got "portfolio_userdefaultheap: Insert failed" when installing Portfolio Keeper. Repository and Filekeeper are OK. Moodle is working fine otherwise. Fedora Core 5, Apache 2.2, MySQL 5.0.18, php 5.1.2 - have not installed GD or mbstring yet. Can someone advise? Thanks.

Matt, I saw one of your presentations at CMTC. Portfolio looks great for meeting ICT standards.

In reply to Carol Mamczak

by Carol Mamczak -
Never mind. I found my error - too late to edit the post. I didn't follow the instructions to "open link in a new window". Everything is working now.
In reply to John Patten

by Matt Oquist -
Hi John,

Did you carefully follow all the directions during the installation? smile (See the comment from Carol Mamczak, above.)

Go to http://yoursite/portfolio/uninstall.php?conf=true to uninstall. This will ONLY delete the database tables, it will NOT remove any of the code! You must go through the web-based uninstallation procedure first, and then remove the access_control, portfolio, and repository directories. If you want to be even more complete, you'll have to look at the contents of the portfolio.zip download and remove the remaining files manually. You can even back the patches out of the assignment.php files if you wish.
In reply to Matt Oquist

by Daniel Moree -
We just installed this module on Moodle 1.6.3+ running Apache 2.x, PHP 5, and MySQL 5.x. This is a Win32 box. The error we are having is once the block is added, I click on My Portfolio, then click on Add Artifact, then Upload New Artifact File. On my desktop I have created an empty text file called Test.txt. I browse to this file and select it. The file directory box shows the correct location of the file. I click Upload this file and get an error saying it failed to upload the file. Below is the debug output of the function:

index.php (portfolio): bad new file (1, , 1)

What does this mean. I've looked through the source to find where the $Path variable is initialized and its an Optiona_Param. So how does this get fixed.

File uploading is turned on on my PHP configuration. I have tested this and know that there is nothing wrong with my HTTP or PHP configuration.
In reply to Daniel Moree

by Matt Oquist -
Thanks for all the details!

This is a well-known...vexation of the Windows file copying API, which returns "false" when an empty file is copied. I attempted to account for this in my code, but looking at it now I see that I should have used stripos() instead of strpos() and I should've checked for ===false instead of !strpos().

This *should* be fixed in the next cvs commit I make.

In the meantime, if you're so inclined you can go into repository/repository/plugins/native/repository_native.class.php and replace this line 439:
if ($stat['size'] > 0 or !strpos($os, "windows")) {

with this line 439:
if ($stat['size'] > 0 or stripos($os, "windows") === false) {

and that should fix the problem. (Let me know! smile)
In reply to Matt Oquist

by Daniel Moree -

Thanks for that. That worked. I know how it is to be a programmer and people ask you for help and you always have to reply, "Give me more information on how you got this error and what are your system components. I'm the programmer for this college so I deal with it every day.

I've found a second error in your code. This one is after you upload the file. For me I get just a blank screen. No redirect. Not sure if it's your code or moodles code. As a workaround, I've tried commenting out the define header code and the redirect function and replacing them with header("Location: ".$nexturl); But this fails to redirect also. Not sure why. I'll keep checking on this and if I get a fix, I'll post it here.

In reply to Daniel Moree

by Ruben Jansen -

When I want to scroll the vertical bar op the page "edit artifact" with the mouse, it gives an error. I use IE. On the demosite spsc.org explorer gives the same error.

Something else: is it possible for a student to publish/share his/her documents with other students? How can I manage this? I tried the moodle-wide option in the filekeeper (as admin) but I can't see as a student a publish-option.

Thanks by the way for this fantastic module! It's exactly what we are looking for!

In reply to Ruben Jansen

by Matt Oquist -
When I want to scroll the vertical bar op the page "edit artifact" with the mouse, it gives an error. I use IE. On the demosite spsc.org explorer gives the same error.
Works for me... IE 6.0.2600.000. What version do you have? Is this still a problem if you try the new version that you can download tomorrow (Monday)?

Something else: is it possible for a student to publish/share his/her documents with other students? How can I manage this?
$CFG->access_control_owners_can_chmod = true;

Thanks by the way for this fantastic module! It's exactly what we are looking for!

Great! Sorry for the bugs and lack of documentation. smile

In reply to Matt Oquist

by Ruben Jansen -

I'll try the new download. Thanks!

I use at this moment IE7. This gives the same errors as IE6. The windows-error looks like "cp.ColorPicker is empty or no object" (r.558) or "cp is empty or no object" (r.449) in index.php. Has this something to do with IE itself or with some values in index.php?

In reply to Daniel Moree

by Matt Oquist -
I'm definitely not seeing this in my dev code, which will be committed in a few minutes. Can you let me know if this is still a problem after you try the new code?
In reply to Matt Oquist

by Kevin Peck -

Hi Matt...  Also in NH trying to implement this for the standards...  I've put it in place and have to tell you how impressed that I am...

Windows 2000 Server, IIS 5.0, php 5, and MySQL 5

I was wondering when the latest release was placed up on moodle.org, and how to tell which release I've got, as I've run into a few weird problems that I thought you may have adressed in a release since I downloaded mine...

On a few of the pages, the slider bar doesn't work so you can't scroll up and down the page, but the wheel mouse wheel will scroll up and down the page.

When trying to edit a reflection and I try to insert a "smiley" or a "special character" the whole thing just hangs...

Lastly, When clicking around inside the portfolio, eveything seels to be opening up in new windows, is this by design???

In reply to Kevin Peck

by Kevin Peck -

Verified these things on the spdc test area, and they are true there as well, with the exception of the smiley/special character problem, so I tried that out on my "testing server", on which the only difference is Server 2003...  Get Error message on that one...

"The specified CGI application misbehaved by not returning a complete set of http headers."

So, that is apparently my problem, but I'd still love to know if I can stop everything from opening up in new windows, and how to get the scroll bar to work...  Not everyone will have a wheel mouse...

-Kevin Peck

Technology Specialist

Timberlane Regional School District

Plaistow, NH

In reply to Kevin Peck

by Matt Oquist -

Verified these things on the spdc test area, and they are true there as well, with the exception of the smiley/special character problem, so I tried that out on my "testing server", on which the only difference is Server 2003... Get Error message on that one...

What version of IE are you using? Do you have the same problem with Firefox?

"The specified CGI application misbehaved by not returning a complete set of http headers."

So, that is apparently my problem, but I'd still love to know if I can stop everything from opening up in new windows, and how to get the scroll bar to work... Not everyone will have a wheel mouse...

Interesting...we could potentially provide a $CFG setting to turn off the popups... I'll look into this.
In reply to Matt Oquist

by Matt Oquist -
Done.
$CFG->pffilter_disallow_popups = true;

I expect to commit to CVS again tonight; that'll be 2007021101 in version.php.
In reply to Matt Oquist

by Kevin Peck -

Got it, added the string to config.php, and the new windows coming up stops...

I still have the vertical scroll bar problem, but I just found that if I double click on the scroll bar and hold the button down after the second click, it works..  I am using IE7, currently, but will try on a few IE6 boxes, as well as Firefox and get back to you.

Also, I ran into trouble using the portfolio module with php 5.2.0.  Whenever I tried to upload files into the portfolios, it would just hang up.  I had to revert to php 5.1.4?  Have you heard this from anyone else??  I'm running php as the CGI executable, not the .dll, as I had trouble with that as well.  All this probably just stems from the fact that I'm running this on Windows...

In reply to Kevin Peck

by Matt Oquist -

Hi Matt... Also in NH trying to implement this for the standards... I've put it in place and have to tell you how impressed that I am...

Thanks! smile

Windows 2000 Server, IIS 5.0, php 5, and MySQL 5

Good to know it works there -- thanks for the info!

I was wondering when the latest release was placed up on moodle.org, and how to tell which release I've got, as I've run into a few weird problems that I thought you may have adressed in a release since I downloaded mine...

There hadn't been any changes since early Dec...until about 5 minutes ago. The new portfolio.zip download should be rolled up within 24 hours. If you check the version.php files they *should* have the date I committed the code, though sometimes we might have to fall back on CVS $Ids if I get lazy or careless... The version.php files I'm committing right now have 2007021100 in them.

On a few of the pages, the slider bar doesn't work so you can't scroll up and down the page, but the wheel mouse wheel will scroll up and down the page.

Weird. Which pages? I just tested with IE 6.06-something and had no problem. (Server Ubuntu+Apache+PHP5+MySQL5, though this probably isn't relevant.)

When trying to edit a reflection and I try to insert a "smiley" or a "special character" the whole thing just hangs...

Again, weird. I've never seen that behavior, either.

Lastly, When clicking around inside the portfolio, eveything seels to be opening up in new windows, is this by design???

Weird...oh, no, that's normal. Yeah, it's not my preferred design, and if I wrote my own paychecks it probably wouldn't work that way. But I don't, so it does. big grin

In reply to Matt Oquist

by Carol Mamczak -
Hello Matt,
Still considering the options for ICT...
At our elementary school we would be interested in a way to export a complete portfolio at the end of grade 6. The final product may or may not be used in Moodle when the students move to the next school. This has not been decided yet. Do you have any plans for that feature?
Thanks,
Carol Mamczak
Technology Coordinator
Florence Rideout Elementary School
http://florencerideout.net
In reply to Carol Mamczak

by Matt Oquist -
Hi Carol,

We're working on this. It's on the TODO list right after Moodle 1.7 support.
In reply to Matt Oquist

by Guillermina Gavaldon -

Hi, I´m new in Moodle, I have already installed it and when I folloed the portfolio_Innstall_Howto instructions: using install-linux.sh, it appears the message:

Module "portfolio" is not readable - check permissions

Does anybody can guide what should I do???

Thanks a lot

Mina

In reply to Guillermina Gavaldon

by Matt Oquist -
This message is coming from moodle/lib/moodlelib.php, function moodle_needs_upgrading(). That function is never called in relation to a normal SPDC portfolio installation...are you trying to treat the SPDC Portfolio like a normal Moodle module?

It isn't. After you run install-linux.sh, just go to http://yourmoodle/access_control/ and follow the instructions to complete your installation.
In reply to Matt Oquist

by Paul Carden -

I am getting this message when trying to make an artifact in filekeeper or via the portfolio block.

Subsequent attempts to make the same artifact give:

A resource by that name already exists.

I had no errors during installation. I am testing moodle within a WAMP environment and everthing else seems okay.

Thanks for any help in advance.

Paul

In reply to Paul Carden

by Matt Oquist -
Hi Paul,

Would you mind upgrading this testing installation to the latest CVS, setting $CFG->pflivedebug = true;, and pointing me to the server? (And giving me an account...)

We used to have a bug that did this, but I thought it was fixed, and I'll need to see the problem in action to make progress on it.

Thanks!
In reply to Matt Oquist

by Roy Bailey -

Hi Matt;

Newbie Alert!

I first saw a demo of your portfolio solution running on Moodle last spring, and believe it holds the most promise of any of the ICT solutions I've looked at to date. I got my own moodle server up and running this summer on Fedora 5, and added your portfolio module a couple of months ago.

In limited testing, everything worked fine but I started opening the server up for heavier testing by my teachers and students a few weeks ago, and performance of the file keeper and portfolio modules has really tanked. The rest of my Moodle server still seems to be running well, but anytime we add a portfolio sticky block to a course, or access the portfolio directory directly, we see 60-80 second long page load times.

Since I am admittedly a Newbie, I don't really know what information you'd need, but I'm still hopeful you can point me towards some things to check out. I've already tried most of the suggestions on moodle.org regarding performance of Moodle in general (mdl-db-opt.php, etc..), and general Moodle performance is good.

Fedora 5, moodle 1.6.1, mysql 5.0.21, php 5.1.4

In reply to Roy Bailey

by Kenny Backus -
Quick tips for tuning any LAMP app (assuming you don't know what the performance bottleneck is):

-Use a PHP accelerator. APC (which is available via PECL) is probably the best and most well-supported now. A 64 meg cache is plenty for my moodle site (I get 100.0% cache hits and I have 22 meg left), but your mileage may vary based on how many modules (which means, more scripts can be loaded by users) you are using.

-If you aren't pressed for disk space and you have many connections at once, use InnoDB tables in your MySQL database. They take up more space than MyISAM (the default), but are faster in highly concurrent environments and provide transactions, which is a big plus for any production server.

-Do a little research into tuning Apache. I haven't done a huge amount, but I do know that it's helpful to play with the number of maximum concurrent clients and spare servers and set them to values that fit your concurrency and machine specs. In my setup it's a good idea to keep these numbers high: professors teaching computer-related classes are the most avid Moodle users, and they are almost certainly teaching from within a computer lab: this means that 20-30 people are going to be signing on at once at the beginning of class.

Of course, this might not help so much since your problems seem to be specific to the portfolio block, and not knowing the internals thereof, I'm not sure how to optimize specifically for it. Just thought I would pass on some tuning lessons that I've learned.
In reply to Matt Oquist

Problem creating student portfolio

by Mike W -
Hi,

I'm running the latest build of the portfolio with Moodle 1.8. I can add a portfolio via the portfolio keeper if I'm an admin just fine (see below).

admin

However, as a student enrolled in the course, I get the error below when I tried to add a portfolio through the portfolio keeper. There's also no default student portfolio, which from reading the docs, I thought there should be.

student

I believe I've set up the access controls correctly. Is this a known issue with 1.8 or user error?

Thanks!

Mike

Furman University
In reply to Mike W

Re: Problem creating student portfolio

by Matt Oquist -
Hi Mike,

Really, I have no idea why it would even have appeared to work as much as it did. I did a major reorganization of the files in the project a few weeks ago, and I didn't get to test afterwards and I didn't get a chance until right now. (During a conference in Spain!)

It was very broken; several files were in the wrong place or completely missing. (Moving around ~240 files in CVS is very fun for everyone!) I fixed things just now.

I just tested updated CVS and I automatically got a regular user's "My Portfolio", and I was also able to create a separate new portfolio in addition to that. I added an online text artifact and a file upload artifact successfully.

I noticed a couple minor remaining regressions since the massive reorganization, but they don't affect anything crucial. (The whiz-bang color picker is currently broken, for example.)

The only major drawback ATM is that the installation script doesn't work, so you just copy all the files into your Moodle installation to install (which is much better than the old way), but the patching for integration with the assignment module isn't done. sad I'll get to this when I can...not sure when that will be. (Let me know if this is blocking anybody.)
In reply to Matt Oquist

by Mike W -
Thanks Matt. Is this where I would get the latest 1.8 version?

http://moodle.org/download/modules/portfolio.zip.

I copied the portfolio directory into my install, but I don't see the student portfolio and I can't upload files.

Maybe I need different files for 1.8?

I found the link to browse the files in CVS but wasn't sure how to pull the files down.

Thanks again.

Mike
In reply to Mike W

by Matt Oquist -
Hi Mike,

You need to copy the contents of the "portfolio" directory into your moodle root, not the directory itself. For example:

$ unzip portfolio.zip
$ cd portfolio
$ cp -r * /var/www/moodle

I hope this clarifies things. Also, you should download portfolio.zip again, as I submitted a large update just today.

Oh! And the link you have is completely the wrong one. Don't use that for anything; just download the link I posted above. (I wish the Moodle CVS gods would have broken those old links when they rearranged back in December...as things are now, there's a very old, totally static version of portfolio.zip sitting there, with lots of links from all over the Internet pointing at it. dead)
In reply to Mike W

by Matt Oquist -
Hi Mike,

The newest version has finally been tested in 1.8, so I recommend grabbing it and trying again. Make sure you read portfolio_INSTALL-HOWTO.TXT first (it's in the download), though.
In reply to Mike W

by Matt Oquist -
And FWIW, the URL you pasted is NOT the right one. I wish that URL would die and go away, because it's pasted all over the Internet and I can't take that back and it still downloads something that *looks* right but is actually 7 months out of date... *sigh*

What you actually want to download is http://download.moodle.org/patches/portfolio.zip.
In reply to Matt Oquist

by Santos Galvez -
Hello Everybody,
I installed the portfolio and repository module in Linux.But when I logged in to moodle I got the message "Module "repository" is not readable - check permissions" . I changed the permission to portfolio and repository to 777, but I am still getting the message about permission.
Could somebody help me on this .
Thank you .
In reply to Santos Galvez

by Matt Oquist -
Hi Santos,

The SPDC portfolio is not a "module" in the way that Moodle has "modules". Did you follow the instructions in portfolio_INSTALL-HOWTO.TXT?

It sounds to me like you've tried to install the SPDC Portfolio as you would install a regular Moodle module, and it's not finding the module files it expects to see...which makes sense, because they're not there.

You don't really want 777 on those files, BTW; I would use 755. (Though I understand if you're just trying to get things working.)

--matt
In reply to Matt Oquist

portfolio install problem

by steven dauncey -

Hi,

Im trying to install the portfolio module into moodle which is running on Win 2003 server but im having various problems. The installation 'how to' file seems to be corrupt. I was wondering if anyone could either write a few install instructions or point me in the direction of a download other than http://moodle.org/download/modules/portfolio.zip which always seems to give me this corrupt file!

Thanks in advance for any help.

In reply to Matt Oquist

by Robert Demaine -

Is there a way to export one or many portfolios so students could take it with them once they leave? 

In reply to Robert Demaine

by Matt Oquist -
Hi Robert,

Not yet, but I'm working on it! We (the Exeter school district) are using the SPDC system in some production Moodles, and we've now run into the need for this ourselves, therefore sufficiently elevating the importance of this feature that I can spend work time on it. Once I have that delivered it'll be announced in these forums, so keep an eye out.

And as always, volunteer coding is always welcome, and I'll be happy to mentor and provide advice and pointers to anybody who would like to jump in and help.

--matt
In reply to Matt Oquist

by Jeroen Kleijn -

Matt,

I have implemented the portfolio module. At this moment we use mainly the filecabinet function. I would like students to pick files from their cabinet when uploading files for an assignment. How to achieve this integration?

regards

J. Kleijn

In reply to Matt Oquist

by Jan Carlo Pigao -

Helow everyone please help me I'm Stock for 2 Hours

I am using moodle 1.9.14 and portfolio 3.2.2, I want to add the search in myportfolio.php so i put the code:

echo "<form method = 'POST' action='myportfolio.php' name='form1'>

<input type='text' name='txtsearch' />

<input type='submit' name='btn1' value='search' />

</form>";

that's only my code i included but when i clicked search button

error message will appear saying Invaliduserid

pls help

In reply to Matt Oquist

by Jan Carlo Pigao -

I have found error in downloading the portfolio.zip

error found 404

any answer will be appreciated.

thanks for advanced

In reply to Matt Oquist

by Jan Carlo Pigao -

helow i'm new in moodle, i'm using the latest version of moodle which is 2.1.2+, after i unzip the portfolio.zip i copied everything under the portfolio folder and pasted it under the www/moodle/portfolio after that i checked the mymoodle.com/portfolio but there is nothing there even single letter. what should i do and what's wrong what i did?

please help

anyhelp would be appreciated hope you can help me asap

thank in advanced 

In reply to Jan Carlo Pigao

by Andreas Riepl -

try using exabis eportfolio: http://www.moodleplugins.org/course/view.php?id=3 - we have just upgraded our module to Moodle 2.x

cheers

andreas

In reply to Andreas Riepl

by Jan Carlo Pigao -

thank you so much for immediate response i will try it,

i hope it'll work

In reply to Jan Carlo Pigao

school year->months-> weeks-> activities of the week..

by Jan Carlo Pigao -

Helow everyone

i have a question to all,is there already who did the part of eportfolio of adding details like schoolyear?? pls see the image for more details..

Anyhelp Will be Appreciated,Thanks in advanced to all i hope you can help 

Attachment image.GIF
In reply to Andreas Riepl

Re: Portfolio Modification

by Jan Carlo Pigao -

Helow Everyone I am new to moodle and I want add fields on the table portfolio, and also add element. but when I edit the page myportfolio.php there's no changes.. even i remove the 5 lines or many lines of codes at myportfolio.php no changes will appear. what should I do? please help me guys.

Any help would be appreciated