Portfolios: SPDC Portfolio (formerly "Matt's Portfolio")

Portfolios: SPDC Portfolio (formerly "Matt's Portfolio")

by Matt Oquist -
Number of replies: 71
I'm creating this thread to re-brand the PF system I've been working on for about a year now, and to continue our previous discussion in a shorter, more manageable thread. smile

Also, I am compelled to mention that the portfolio.zip file location has changed to http://download.moodle.org/patches/portfolio.zip due to the recent CVS contrib rearrangement (which is very nice!).

SPDC Portfolio Project Status and Roadmap:
  • Released for production use in Moodle 1.6
  • Moodle 1.7 support is (I believe) mere hours away.
  • This will not ever be the official portfolio system in Moodle core, but when Moodle core provides a portfolio system, the SPDC will provide a one-time upgrade to that system.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Matt Oquist

Re: Portfolios: SPDC Portfolio (formerly "Matt's Portfolio")

by Matt Oquist -
Alpha Moodle 1.7 support has been committed to CVS!

This means that it works as far as I know, but I haven't seriously tested it yet. Please let me know if you try it and how it works (or doesn't...).
In reply to Matt Oquist

by Matt Oquist -

In reply to Kevin Peck's post:

Got it, added the string to config.php, and the new windows coming up stops...

I'm glad that $CFG->pffilter_disallow_popups = true; is working.

I still have the vertical scroll bar problem, but I just found that if I double click on the scroll bar and hold the button down after the second click, it works.. I am using IE7, currently, but will try on a few IE6 boxes, as well as Firefox and get back to you.

That's very, very odd. It sounds totally like a browser issue, unless the WYSIWYG editor's javascript is somehow responsible.

Also, I ran into trouble using the portfolio module with php 5.2.0. Whenever I tried to upload files into the portfolios, it would just hang up. I had to revert to php 5.1.4? Have you heard this from anyone else?? I'm running php as the CGI executable, not the .dll, as I had trouble with that as well. All this probably just stems from the fact that I'm running this on Windows...

Heh. Well, I have mixed feelings about that. mixed In any case, I would prefer that it worked. I'm testing with mysql 5.0.22 and php 5.1.2, but I'll start building a second box that has newer PHP and I'll see how that goes.

In reply to Matt Oquist

by Chris Collman -
Picture of Documentation writers
Thanks Matt. Since or because of the snow storm, I have had some time to play with portfolio on line. I will be downloading 1.6 fairly soon on one or more of my local hosts so I can have multiple teachers and multiple students with no lengthy history to fog my brain <big grin>. I will help you with some words.

That is a lot of work you have accomplished.

Best Chris
In reply to Matt Oquist

by ian lake -
I have a pressing problem and am clutching at straws to find a solution.

In a typical Windows environment if there is a deterioration of service the first place to look is the last thing installed, but Moodle 'ain't Windows' - thank god' but since installing File Keeper and Portfolio Keeper there has been a 'dramatic' slow down in accessibility to our college Moodle with pages taking minutes to appear in the browser.

Have you had any other similar reports or can East Berkshire College claim another first - we had a database problem a few weeks ago that Sean from pteppic has never seen before and has never seen reported before.

ian

In reply to ian lake

by Roy Bailey -
I'm having a similar problem with the Porfolio Keeper on a Linux-based Moodle server. Running Top, I see MySQL peg the server's CPU at 99% capacity any time the portfolio module is tapped (file keeper seem to run fine).
In reply to ian lake

by Matt Oquist -
Hi ian,

It's only been, let's see, 4 months since your post. blush But if you upgrade to the newest version you'll get a ton of recent optimizations to the SPDC PF system, so that should take care of your troubles.
In reply to Matt Oquist

by Richard Cory -
Will this Portfolio system allow students to upload a website (which might include a podcast created in iWeb)?

RC
In reply to Richard Cory

by Tony Beld -
The standard moodle unzip function is missing. If that is added, a student could zip a directory and then upload and unzip in File Keeper. Then they could choose "make artifact" in File Keeper for the main page of their site. Currently, single web pages will upload and display correctly (simple html) but the student would need to upload each and every page in the site one by one. So yes, it is possible to have web pages with podcasts but it entails some manual labor.

It would be great to have a melding of the file_manager block and the SPDC repository (file keeper) block thereby adding the 'url link' and 'unzip' functionality of file_manager to the SPDC repository.
In reply to Tony Beld

by Matt Oquist -
We've had [un]zip on the TODO list for a while, but it's not sufficiently close to the top...we're doing some related work now, so it might be easy enough to squeeze that feature in along the way.

What are you looking for in 'url link' other than what the SPDC's File Keeper provides via 'Bookmark'?
In reply to Matt Oquist

by Rick Barnes -
I'm new to this module but I have some questions that might help me decide if it is right for me. The key thing is access for teachers to pupils work and getting pupils to help us find the criteria based proof we require.

I want pupils to create an artifact online text and paste in a copy of the assessment ctiteria in a table. I want them to add links to the evidence for each criteria (within their portfolio). Uploading a zip file of evidence then unzipping in the portfolio would save a lot of time selecting and uploading individual files.

To do this they will need to be able to create hyperlinks to each separate artifact from the online text. Is this possible. A simple web address that they can copy and paste listed next to each artifact would help, similar to the unique URL's on photo sharing sites.

If we do this will it be possible for techers to easily check that work is from the correct pupils portfolio? Even with publish only to teachers a pupil could a pupil redirect you to a different pupils portfoio artifact.

Rick.
In reply to Rick Barnes

by Steve Hyndman -

While you are still in the decision making process, you should also consider the pros/cons of a stand-alone install for this purpose. In my opinion, the pros far outweigh the cons. The unzip feature in course files has been a great benefit for uploading several files at once, flash movies created with Camtasia, and even complete websites developed offline in FrontPage and Dreamweaver. 

See a working system here...many of the courses (Gportfolios) allow guests:

http://www.georgetownprofessor.net/gportfolio/

See the basic concept here:

http://www.georgetownprofessor.net/lms/course/view.php?id=5

Steve

In reply to Steve Hyndman

by Matt Oquist -
Hi Steve,

The SPDC "Moofolio" portfolio system also allows guests. Portfolios and/or individual artifacts can be published to the world (guests), all authenticated Moodle users on the site, or other individual Moodle users. Of course, these features don't mean it's the right answer for everybody...but we hope it's the right answer for lots of people and we're always open to feature requests and criticisms. smile
In reply to Matt Oquist

by Steve Hyndman -

Thanks Matt. My point about allowing guests wasn't a feature of the system I'm using or a criticism of your system...I was just letting him know he could look at some of the portfolios by finding the ones that allow guest access. Good luck with the "Moofolio".

Steve

In reply to Steve Hyndman

by Matt Oquist -
Heh - NP, and a good suggestion. I guess I sounded more defensive than I meant to...it's difficult not to become very attached, invested, and naturally defensive about these projects. blush

--matt
In reply to Matt Oquist

by Steve Hyndman -

Understood...no problem. Thanks.

Steve

In reply to Rick Barnes

by Matt Oquist -
Hi Rick,

To do this they will need to be able to create hyperlinks to each separate artifact from the online text. Is this possible.
In principle, yes. I'm not sure that it looks like what you want in practice.

We are currently working on adding zip functionality to the repository and portfolio systems, so that'll address part of your concerns.

Also, we're going to be working on standards tracking and assessment as well, though I'm not sure our planned implementations line up with your requirements. If you want more details about what we're planning just ask; I'm not going to take the time to describe them now when I should be going to bed. smile
In reply to Richard Cory

by Matt Oquist -
This is not currently possible, unless the website is uploaded as a single file, such as a .zip, .tgz, etc. Are you wanting the student to be able to plop in any old URL and have the PF system go fetch it? (For example, http://docs.google.com/?id=134asdf234, or http://myspace.com/etc.etc., or http://podcast.appleownstheworld.com/?id=14jlk2j34 ?)
In reply to Matt Oquist

by Ali Hastie -

Hi

I am having trouble installing the portfolio module (it's me)! We are currently running Moodle version 1.7+ on a Windows 2003 virtual server, PHP Version 5.1.4 and MYSQL version 5.0.22

I am having trouble getting to grips where each folders goes where etc. 

Hope someone can help.

Thanks, Ali.

In reply to Ali Hastie

by Tony Beld -
Unzip the module and you should have a folder named 'portfolio'. Just deal with the 'filter' folder first and put the contents of '/filter/lib/' in your Moodle 'lib' directory, then you can think of the 'portfolio' directory inside of that directory (/portfolio/portfolio that is...) as being your Moodle root.
Mooodle Root = /
access_control --> /
portfolio --> /
blocks/portfolio_block --> /blocks/
lang/en_utf8/help --> /lang/en_utf8/
lang/en_utf8/portfolio.php --> /lang/en_utf8/
mod/assignments/type/uploadsingle/assignment.class.php --> mod/assignments/type/uploadsingle/
mod/assignments/type/online/assignment.class.php --> mod/assignments/type/online/

Hope this helps you and is not too late...

In reply to Tony Beld

by Steve Légaré -
Hi,
I have the same problem installing the portfolio module

I did what you suggest, putting the "'filter' folder first and put the contents of '/filter/lib/' in your Moodle 'lib' directory"

But I'm stuck after that, I put all the folder in the mod file

I got this message
Module portfolio2: D:\WEBSITE\Moodle\moodle/mod/portfolio2/version.php was not readable

I'm running in a local environement, we want to develop Moodle portfolio at our faculty, I'm doing some test.

Can you help?

Sorry for my english, i'm not so good at this language

thank you very much

Steve
In reply to Steve Légaré

by Matt Oquist -
Hi Steve,

See "HAM-FISTED INSTALLATION" in portfolio_INSTALL-HOWTO.TXT.

That's what you want; what you're doing is more difficult.

(None of this belongs in the /mod/ directory. This is not a Moodle "module".)
In reply to Matt Oquist

by Wesley Wakeman -

Matt when I go to the site  + portfolio it says it can't find the config.php file why is this as I can't see one in the file structure or in the portfolio.zip

Wes

In reply to Wesley Wakeman

by Matt Oquist -
Hmm. It should be looking for the config.php file in the base of your Moodle installation directory. I'd recommend just installing the latest version, which does away with the needlessly complicated way things were done previously.
In reply to Matt Oquist

by Wen Hao Chuang -
Hi Matt, do you still have your most recent dev machine up and running? Is it possible that we could get an testing account on that machine? Also, for the most recent dev version, is it fully compatible with Moodle 1.7 and 1.8 yet? Is there any simple spec of concept map to describe (visually) how "SPDC Portfolio" works? We would like to take a deeper look into this project and see if we could continue to contribute to its functionality to make it fits better with our needs. Thanks! smile
In reply to Wen Hao Chuang

by Matt Oquist -
Hi Wen,

I don't know if this is still useful to you at all, but the latest version of the SPDC PF system does indeed have support for Moodle 1.7 and 1.8, with the exception that the "My students" link teachers see in the PF Keeper block loads ALL THE STUDENTS ON THE SITE (!!!!!), making it totally useless. Fixing this is at the top of the TODO list now...

We don't have a demo site ATM where we could easily give you access, but if it would still be useful I think we could do that. Let me know.

We're working on documenting how it works, but that's not ready for publication yet, either. If you let us know that you're interested in seeing what we have, anyway, we can perhaps do that. (I'm not on the documentation team, so I can't/shouldn't make that decision).

Sorry for the delayed response!

BTW, the latest version of the SPDC PF system is much, much easier to install, so it might be worth just grabbing it and throwing it in a test Moodle on one of your own boxes. (Just make sure you read portfolio_INSTALL-HOWTO.TXT, and I highly recommend testing on a Linux box instead of Windows, since Windows doesn't make it easy to install a fully-integrated PF system.)
In reply to Tony Beld

by Clark Moodler -
Thanks, Tony -
this was helpful!

I wish those directions (quoted below) were included with the portfolio download.

But what about the Repository directory?

I found the directions included with the download (TXT files) to be confusing.

Something like below is so more more clear to me - forthose of os uploading via FTP directly:

" Unzip the module and you should have a folder named 'portfolio'. Just deal with the 'filter' folder first and put the contents of '/filter/lib/' in your Moodle 'lib' directory, then you can think of the 'portfolio' directory inside of that directory (/portfolio/portfolio that is...) as being your Moodle root.
Mooodle Root = /
access_control --> /
portfolio --> /
blocks/portfolio_block --> /blocks/
lang/en_utf8/help --> /lang/en_utf8/
lang/en_utf8/portfolio.php --> /lang/en_utf8/
mod/assignments/type/uploadsingle/assignment.class.php --> mod/assignments/type/uploadsingle/
mod/assignments/type/online/assignment.class.php --> mod/assignments/type/online/

Hope this helps you and is not too late..."

In reply to Clark Moodler

by Clark Moodler -
p.s.

I got Repository ("File Keeper") to work, but Portfolio - when I try to connect to either:

moodle/portfolio/

or

moodle/portfolio/install.php

or

the admin section, all I get is a blank screen...!

thanks for any help anyone has to offer!

by Clark Moodler -
further questions:

in the installation directory:

mod/assignment/type/online
mod/assignment/type/uploadsingle

In both of these, there are numerous files, including some that end on .org, 1.6, 1.7, .diff, etc. Do all of those need to be copied into the correcsponding (/online or /uploadsingle) directory, or just the .php files?

by the way, it seemed like some of the documentation hinted that you could just install an entire directory somehow, but I have gone through each individual folder and copied files to corresponding folders in Moodle

More of what is confusing to me:

in the original portfolio.zip it contains:

• access_control
    • access_control
    • lang
  • filter
    • lang
    • lib
      • filter_base_class.php
      • filter_weblib.php
  • portfolio
    • mod
      • assignment > type
        • uploadsingle
    • lang
    • portfolio
    • access_control
    • blocks
  • repository
    • access_control
    • blocks
    • lang
    • repository
From what I understand, everything in any "lang" directory, I have copied into the moodle/lang/en_utf8/ directory.

Anything from the various access_control directories above, I have copied into the moodle/access_control directory

Anything from the above "blocks", I have copied into moodle/blocks

The filter/lib 2 files I copied into moodle/lib/

But I must have done something wrong, because now my admin, portfolio/install.php, portfolio/ don't work (come up with blank pages)

(working with 1.7.1 by the way, could that have something to do with it?)

thanks

by Matt Oquist -
Hi Clark Shah-Nelson,

Yes, the included instructions aren't as clear as they should be for FTP-hampered folks. Probably the key sentence for your case is under HAM-FISTED INSTALLATION in portfolio_INSTALL-HOWTO.TXT:
"...unzip portfolio.zip, go into the resulting portfolio directory, and copy 'n paste THE CONTENTS of each directory in there into your Moodle installation root."
That's the easy way to do what you've done the hard way. Something like this:

$ unzip portfolio.zip
$ cd portfolio
$ ftp yourmoodle.org
password, etc...
ftp> cd yourmoodledir
ftp> put -r access_control/* .
ftp> put -r filter/* .
ftp> put -r portfolio/* .
ftp> put -r repository/* .
ftp> exit

I expect you have a blank /portfolio/ page because a required PHP file is not in the expected location. Unfortunately, it could be almost any of the files, since the portfolio part of the system depends on all the rest. But you mentioned that you have the repository working, so perhaps that does narrow things down a bit. The dependencies look like this:

portfolio depends on...
repository, which depends on...
access_control, which depends on...
filter

In reply to Matt Oquist

by Clark Moodler -
Hi Matt,
sorry, I'm still having trouble, mostly due to the fact that I can't figure out how to load this with a script or commands, I simply need to be able to copy files over via FTP GUI, ala Fetch/Cyberduck. (Unless someone can give more specific instructions for using Terminal or Cyberduck)...

What's most confusing are the folders within folders.... There are multiple instances of so many folders here: access_control, lang, block, etc... and it's not really clear which files actually go where.

Matt wrote:
"...unzip portfolio.zip, go into the resulting portfolio directory, and copy 'n paste THE CONTENTS of each directory in there into your Moodle installation root."

Based on the directions I keep seeing, it's basically asking me to overwrite directories like lang filter, etc. which I know can't be right. Some of these files and folders need to be copied into others...

Couldn't someone please just give a more full map or description?
I need to know what to do with all the sub-directories and sub-sub directories.

It really doesn't appear to me that I can just upload the filter from the /lib directory and then the other 3 directories go into the root of Moodle. It doesn't seem to make sense. I mean "Repository" and "Portfolio" both contain a lot of the same subdirectories, so there must be something more conclusive about how to upload these... right?

Thanks in advance.

by Matt Oquist -
Hi Clark,

Based on the directions I keep seeing, it's basically asking me to overwrite directories
Nope. Directories don't get overwritten -- only files can be overwritten, and there are only two files in all of Moodle that a completely-installed SPDC Portfolio (AKA "Moofolio") will modify in any way. Those files are:
  • mod/assignment/type/online/assignment.class.php
  • mod/assignment/type/uploadsingle/assignment.class.php
If you followed the instructions you quoted, you would only overwrite those two files, which would be correct (patching those files is also an option, as the instructions noted elsewhere), and the other files would all be copied into their correct locations.

But just yesterday I began restructuring all of this entirely, so that installation will now consist of just copying everything in portfolio.zip directly into your moodle root -- it will be that easy, and it won't overwrite anything. Then, as the included installation instructions will soon note, you can go the extra step of integrating the SPDC Portfolio/Moofolio with the Moodle Assignment module by patching or overwriting the above two files.

So stay tuned...
In reply to Matt Oquist

by Julian Ridden -
Hi Matt,

I have a clean 1.8 install I am keen to try your work in.

When you have it repackaged could you email it to me or drop me a message. I am more than happy to be a test case for it.

JR
In reply to Julian Ridden

by Matt Oquist -
Hi Julian,

I've been posting the URL to the latest version all over the place and replying to 1 million or so forum posts and questions and emails, so you probably already know. But the newest version should work just fine in 1.8, with the caveat that the "My students" link teachers see in their PF Keeper blocks is broken. Fixing that is at the top of my project TODO list.

Feel free to give it a try and let me know how it goes!

Thanks,
Matt
In reply to Matt Oquist

by Clark Moodler -
thanks, Matt,
Sounds great, and can't wait!

but just to humor me - is it actually possible to just unpack portfolio.zip and copy the 4 resulting directories into the Moodle root? Is that what my problem is - that I saw all the other sub-directories inside and it looked to me like they all need to be opened and placed into the similar directories in Moodle? (access_control, filter, blocks, lang, etc.)

I've tried that as well (with Moodle 1.7.2) as loading in the individual folder contents into their respective folders and each time, when I go to "admin - notifications" afterwards, I get a blank white screen. The only way I've found to get rid of the white screen is to re-upload the root directory of Moodle.

When I go to portfolio/ i also get a blank white screen.

when I go to repository/ - it appeared to work, i was able to upload a file, but then when I try to view it: white screen.

Also, nothing shows up in blocks.

? whatever am I doing wrong? smile

thanks again for your help and time,
as you can tell i'm excited to try it out!

clark

by Julian Ridden -

I am also seeing the same symptoms. So I would say this issue is confirmed.

Any ideas?

In reply to Julian Ridden

by Cliff Cassell -

Well, Normally installing blocks and modules are pretty straight forwards, however this installion zip is alittle misleading. I am mostly referring to the filter folder. When I began copying over folders to the Moodle root, I didn't see the part in the filter readme that states "Only copy th filter contents to the moodle root and not the filter folder".

Then I ran the access_control/install.php, all started well, installed some things with success then stopped. Left me with a blank white page. Then when I go to the admin page I am only presented with another blank white page.

I used a moodle test server to see if the install was bugged but that installed correctly, of course this time I read each guide word for word.

I tried pasting a new set of files over the moodle install and this time it succeeded all the way and there are no more white pages. Horray.

Unfortunatly, the blocks for the Portfolio Keeper does not show up. If I try to reinstall the block it says its already installed. Is there a way to uninstall blocks after they are installed if it doesn't seem to know it is installed?

In reply to Cliff Cassell

by Cliff Cassell -

OK. I found a nice uninstall.php in the access_control folder. Ran it and all was removed nicely.

I tried to reinstall it, all was fine, long screens of success show up but still no blocks listed.

The blocks seeem to be installed and work correctly if you go striaght to their folders but it does not show up on the blocks section meaning users cannot add them as blocks.

by Mike Chaplin -

Hi Cliff

I had something like this under 1.8. The install goes off OK, but the FileKeeper and Portfolio blocks appear neither in the admin block list nor in the drop-down add block select within the course.

Then, I went to "Notifications" at the top of the Site Admin (NB I don't think this exists in 1.6). I got some further messages about these 2 blocks and they then appeared for use.

cheers

Mike 

by Fred Berry -
Hey Cliff or even Matt

Using recent version of 1.7.2 and getting same error with the empty screen on /admin /portfolio and when I turn editing on the blocks dropdown doesnt appear.

Turned the Error code on and when I go to any of those directories I get the following message

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '=', expecting ')' in /moodledirectory/portfolio/lib.php on line 6355

Below is the function on this line

function portfolio_validate_color(&$color='') {
$routine = 'portfolio_validate_color';
filter_debug("$routine: entry");

$color = strtoupper($color);
if (!preg_match("/^#?[A-F0-9]{6,6}/", $color)) {
filter_debug("$routine: bad color", $color);
return false;
}
if (!preg_match("/^#/", $color)) {
$color = '#'.$color;
}
filter_debug("$routine: happy color", $color);
return true;
}

Any ideas how to get this working??

I too can access repository ok just the other domain...the admin one is kinda important ;o)

Thanks to anyone for their insight and help

Fred
In reply to Fred Berry

by Matt Oquist -
Hi Fred,

I'm not sure which version of PHP you're using, but I'm guessing it starts with a '4'...in any case, I removed the default so I'm expecting it work for you if you upgrade to the version if CVS. Please let me know if you still have trouble.
In reply to Fred Berry

by Cliff Cassell -

Hello Fred

Too little too late I know but I only just read this post again.

Just to help some of you non programmers out there the error was on the actual line and not the function.

Code:

function portfolio_validate_color(&$color='') {

Form of corrected code:

function portfolio_validate_color(&$color=''grey") {

It is just like real English. Each " must be closed by another " and each ( must be closed by another ) for the code to work.

I hope this helps to debug future hic-cups in peoples code. No offence coders, it happens to everyone.

by Matt Oquist -
Right - try out the newest version and make sure you follow all the installation instructions in portfolio_INSTALL-HOWTO.TXT and the Web browser at install-time. You must load the http://yourmoodle/admin/ page to get the blocks to be recognized by Moodle. After that you should be able to add them; I'm guessing this was the problem.

If anybody has any ideas about how to make that step of the installation less confusing, I'm all for hearing them! Would it be better if at the last step of the PF installation the "Continue" button just goes to the /admin/ page to load the blocks into the system? I suppose most admins would know to add the blocks from the drop-down on the front page after that...I thought it was more helpful to link to the front page with instructions to add the blocks, assuming that people would read the instructions above the Continue button. I guess that's a bad assumption, as nowhere else in moodle are there important instructions above one of those continue buttons. Especially in happy green & blue text.

I've just talked myself into changing this. Thanks for making me realize how badly confusing this was, everyone! It's about to get better. approve

Regards,
Matt

by Matt Oquist -
I'm a broken record as I answer all these old forum posts and emails, which mostly say "the installation is confusing/broken/difficult" and "the portfolio system causes Moodle to be unbearably slow". Those things were both true. With the newest version of the SPDC portfolio system, they should be fixed. smile Let me know how it goes if you get a chance to try it out.

Regards,
Matt

by Matt Oquist -
Hi Clark,
is it actually possible to just unpack portfolio.zip and copy the 4 resulting directories into the Moodle root?
Nope, that was not the way things were, but that's how things are now. If you download a new copy of portfolio.zip the installation instructions in portfolio_INSTALL-HOWTO.TXT will tell you to copy the contents directly into your moodle root. I'm sorry the installation process was so confusing in the past, and then it was broken for weeks during the transition, but it should be good now!

--matt
In reply to Matt Oquist

by ian lake -

I was just about used to the old insructions and now I have a whole new set of instructions, but having read them properly this time, the installation was a success and so far I have had no reports of any problems from the staff members who are testing this.

The performance issues have disappeared and I am pleased that I waited for the problems to get fixed.

I was impressed with this portfolio and file-keeper the first time i saw it, but the effect on the college site meant that it was causing me more problems than I felt I needed, so it was uninstalled.

Having reinstalled faultlessly and seen it operating efficiently I am pleased I had the foresight to keep in touch with what was happening.

You have done am amazing amount of work on this and have come up with an excellent product - don't let anyone tell you any different.

ian

In reply to ian lake

by Matt Oquist -
Thanks for all the props, ian! Yes, we've been very excited to finally identify and deal with the scaling problems, and hopefully this system will become a feasible option for lots more people now. Please keep in touch as you use the system so we can do our best to work out the kinks and add new features. (Standards-tracking, export to CD/DVD, and presentation customization are next on the list.)

Regards,
Matt
In reply to Matt Oquist

by ian lake -
This module went live across college last week - we are using 1.6.4 - and window$, I would prefer a better operating system but our IT Support 'like' Window$.

None of the problems that plagued our system the first time have reappeared, it is apparent that a great deal of work has been done.

The 'new' version has arrived at just the right time and is already being extensively used by our students.

I have just one small niggle but cannot be sure that it is the modules fault and advice is sought.

Setting the Portfolio and Filekeeper blocks as 'sticky blocks' just will not work, I may get one or the other or neither but not both, courses that were used for testing have the non-sticky version but these cannot be replaced by the 'sticky' version. I have searched the forums for missing or disappearing blocks and followed the suggestions but the problem still occurs. Are there any other similar reports?

Other than that and I know I've said this before a great block.

Ian
In reply to ian lake

by Matt Oquist -
Right - we had a couple users mention early on that the blocks had problems being sticky. I'm adding this to the TODO list, but if anybody knows right off what I need to do to make them sticky-happy, feel free to speak up (or send patches smile).

--matt
In reply to Matt Oquist

Svar: Re: SPDC Portfolio (formerly "Matt's Portfolio")

by Leffe Eriksson -
Moodle 1.6.5
Making an assignment...
When sending the answer, I would like to "make portfolio artifact"

When clicking "make..." I got these errors => portfolio_item_submit: Invalid object ID.

Solution for this error ?
In reply to Leffe Eriksson

Svar: Re: SPDC Portfolio (formerly "Matt's Portfolio")

by Leffe Eriksson -
strange *solved* smile

btw, is there an easy way to change the Subject areas: to be moved to the top instead of as it is today, at the bottom...i doesnt seems to be logic to have it at the bottom....

// Leffe
In reply to Leffe Eriksson

Re: Svar: Re: SPDC Portfolio (formerly "Matt's Portfolio")

by Matt Oquist -
I'm glad the problem got solved. What was the solution?

Hmm. Great idea to make the editing page customizable by the site admin, but it's not that way at this point. If you have any PHP acumen this is something that could be done without undue difficulty, though. (config.php list of strings identifying sections of the editing page, so the site admin can put them in the desired order.)
In reply to Matt Oquist

by ian lake -

This is not an answer on how to make things 'sticky' but it is a workable solution.

I have altered the config.php file in the course/format directory to include Portfolio and File Keeper blocks as standard, I then reset the blocks using a script I found and it all works, it now means the blocks are there for all to see and they have to be turned off if not needed.

Another way of doing this would be to install the Minted plug in from Sussex Uni which has a set up screen for blocks that can be used by category, department etc.

Ian

In reply to Matt Oquist

by Matt Oquist -
I've mentioned this in a couple of other posts already, but the newest version has the revamped directory structure and installation instructions, so things should be much, much more straightforward now. Just make sure you read portfolio_INSTALL-HOWTO.TXT. Let me know how it goes!

Thanks,
Matt
In reply to Ali Hastie

by Matt Oquist -
Hi Ali,

I don't remember if I've previously responded to you directly, but in any case the newest version of the SPDC PF system has a totally re-done directory structure and a much clearer installation procedure. Make sure you read portfolio_INSTALL-HOWTO.TXT, but at least Level 1 will hopefully be straightforward, even for FTP users.
In reply to Matt Oquist

by Nicolai van der Woert -

Hi Matt,

We have some minor issues in Moodle 1.7.2, some error messages adding new artifacts:

Warning

Is this a problem in the code?

Regards,

Nicolai

: reset(): Passed variable is not an array or object in /var/www/vhosts/nknplus.nl/subdomains/moodle/httpdocs/lib/dmllib.php on line 357
In reply to Nicolai van der Woert

by Matt Oquist -
Hi Nicolai,

!! That's interesting. What is 'httpdocs'? I'm not familiar with it.

--matt
In reply to Matt Oquist

by Kevin Peck -

Hi Matt,

Sorry to be bugging you again...  

We are still having issues with the processor pegging at near 100%.  It is definitely MySQL that pegs it.  I know I downloaded the fix (version.php 2007032900)...  My boss was at a Moodle training with you at the SPDC a while ago.  She mentioned to me that, although I put in the "fix", I may not have put in the fix.  Not really sure what's going on, can you clarify for me??

Additionally some students have commented that their work just "disappears" out of their portfolio, has anyone else experienced this?

-Kevin Peck

Timerlane RSD (SAU 55)

In reply to Kevin Peck

by Matt Oquist -
No trouble at all - if you don't bug me, then I don't know you're having trouble. smile

Can you find any files under /portfolio that call portfolio_heap_i_can_edit() or portfolio_item_i_can_edit()? (Check portfolio/filter_portfolio_heap.class.php and portfolio/filter_portfolio_item.class.php for these calls.)

If you have calls to those functions, open portfolio/lib.php and change each function to have the following first line:
return true;

That should take care of things.

When I fixed the problem, I removed both functions and made one named portfolio_show_edit_column() instead, so if you find only *that* one then I don't know why your system is still slow. shy

Worst case, if you're willing, we can talk on the phone and you could allow me temporary access to your server. I can log in with your watching over my shoulder (digitally) and we can troubleshoot it. Go ahead and email me if you're interested in this, and we can arrange a time.
In reply to Matt Oquist

by Julian Ridden -
Is it safe to assume you are making these repairs in the CVS? Ill download again to get a new version if thats the case
In reply to Matt Oquist

by Kevin Peck -

My server is a Windows server (Don't yell at me!?)  IIS 5, MySql 5.0.21, PHP 5.1.4, and Moodle 1.6.3.  (Tried PHP 5.2.0, but portfolio ceased to work entirely when I tried), any way.

version.php in portfolio folder says 2007032900

The server houses 8 moodle sites nested within a 9th.  My coding does not mention the call for i_can_edit functions...  Just the show_edit_column function.

Additionally, any of the sites with the portfolio installed, when you attempt to add, edit or view an assignment, you are returned the following PHP fatal error.

PHP Fatal error: Call to undefined function get_context_instance() in ....\mod\assignment\type\uploadsingle\assignment.class.php on line 52

This is NOT happening on sites where the portfolio is not installed.

Additionally, error remains even if the portfolio is uninstalled.

I'm getting so confused!!!

-Kevin Peck

Timberlane RSD...

In reply to Matt Oquist

by Mike Chaplin -
Hi Matt

I've installed a recent version but I can't see how to turn submitted assignments into Portfolio artefacts (using Moodle 1.6).

The installation instructions say "Unfortunately, only Level 1 is available right now, and you'll have to do it manually." I performed this sort of manual installation (copying the files in the Moodle root folder) - does this mean that this functionality is not available to me?

If I've understood correctly you are at the point of releasing a version that supports Moodle 1.7. Does this mean that 1.8 is not yet supported? The reason I ask is that we are upgrading our 1.6 installation for next academic year (to 1.8 or 1.9) and are trying to work out what ePortfolio we can use.

Best Regards and thanks

Mike Chaplin
MANCAT VLE WebCT email: vleadmin@mancat.ac.uk
Personal email: michael_chaplin@mancat.ac.uk
In reply to Mike Chaplin

by Matt Oquist -
Hi Mike,

Right - if you want to turn submitted assignments into PF artifacts you need to patch the various assignment.class.php files. The patches are included in the portfolio.zip archive, but at the moment I don't have any included scripts that will apply them. If you're handy with the 'patch' command there's no reason not to apply the patches yourself.

Yes, 1.8 support is definitely on the way. It may already work - I just haven't tested it. Feel free to give it a shot and let me know how it goes. wink

We just don't recommend using 1.7 in general, and the "My students' portfolios" link that teachers see in the Portfolio Keeper block is not well supported in >1.6 in any case. (The link may be there but really slow; I don't remember ATM.) This is something we need to address for 1.8 support, but other than this it should work fine AFAIK.

We plan to upgrade our own production sites to 1.8 by the fall semester, so we'll have to have 1.8 support by then. big grin
In reply to Matt Oquist

by Ger Tielemans -

Matt, I have your old portfolio and file repository up and running in Moodle 1.6.X.

Can I/Should I overwrite it with your latest 1.6 distribution of SPDC or must I uninstall/reinstall?

In reply to Ger Tielemans

by Matt Oquist -
Hi Ger,

Always, always, ALWAYS back your entire Moodle up first, of course, but you can just overwrite. It's designed to work that way.

I tested with another live site upgrade today, and aside from a minor upgrade-time cosmetic issue it turned out as I hoped it would. So I'm planning to upgrade a handful more live sites myself, and then I'll commit to CVS. If you're willing to be another early-upgrader, have at it and let me know how it goes!

Thanks,
Matt
In reply to Matt Oquist

by Philip Percival -
Hi Matt,

Thank you for your reply to both my forum posting and e-mail.

I have downloaded and installed the latest version and all seems to be working with my Moodle 1.6 setup

When a teacher clicks on the link to see "My students' portfolios", they seem to get every student on the system (which slows it down somewhat),

Have I done something wrong or missed a switch.

Help much appreciated.
In reply to Philip Percival

by Matt Oquist -
I wouldn't have expected you to see that behavior in 1.6; I hope that was only a >=1.7 bug (as prior testing showed). Nevertheless, I have just now fixed this bug in >= 1.7 as well, so that problem shouldn't persist anywhere! Just download the newest version of http://download.moodle.org/patches/portfolio.zip (portfolio/version.php should be 20070602) and upgrade, and you'll get the fix.
In reply to Matt Oquist

by Maureen Sheehan -

Hi Matt,
I'm using 1.8 and the 20070602 portfolio download. One question about the link for "My Students' Portfolios". It's true that I no longer get a list of every user in the whole data base when I click this, but what I am getting is every user who has enrolled in any of my courses--no matter what course I'm in.

So, for exapmle, when I'm logged in and working in my "Website Design Course", I click on "My students' Portfolio's" and everyone who has enrolled in all four of my courses are listed--not just the ones in Web Design. Is this supposed to happen? The only reason I ask is becasue we have set up our student portfolio's by their year of graduation so that kids are accessing the same course from kindergarten to grade 8, whether they are in another Moodle class or not. It really simplifies it for the little ones. But that also means that teachers will have a list of over 100 students in their portfolio list, if they are also working with students in a course for an academic area, such as social studies or science.

I'm not sure if I'm making myself clear, but in a nutshell, is it possible to have student portfolio's available for only the participants in the course that is displayed on the screen? Although, I suppose it is an advantage to the kids to be able to access it from any course they're in. I'm just checking to see if there's an option.
Thanks,
Maureen

In reply to Matt Oquist

by shamly abdelfattah -
Hey Matt,

Great work.

Are there any plans for allowing Portfolios to be tied to outcomes, rubric, etc.

Keep up the good work

Shamly