Moodle plugins directory: Download essay submissions
Download essay submissions
Moodle Quiz Report Plugin for downloading essay submissions.
The ‘Download essay submission’ plugin offers users a convenient way by which teachers can download quiz essay attachments submitted by students in response to quiz essay questions.
- The plugin folder ‘downloadsubmissions’ is to be added under ‘moodle/mod/quiz/report’ directory.
- In your Moodle site (as admin) go to 'Site administration > Notifications' (you should, for most plugin types, get a message saying the plugin is installed).
How to use?
Go to a particular quiz.
Click on 'Settings' icon.
The plugin ‘Download essay submissions’ link will appear under ‘Results’ section. Click on it.
- The teacher will get the following page wherein they will be provided with a set of preferences like:
- Set folder hierarchy
- Essay question wise
- User attempt wise
- Include text response file
- If the essay question has online text submission as well and then, teacher can set this to Yes if they wish to download text responses as text files along with file attachments
- Include question text file
- Whether to include question text as well or not
- Set folder hierarchy
- The teacher can set the preferred way in which they wish to download the submissions to essay questions and click on ‘Download’ button.
- On clicking this button, the teacher will get a zip file consisting of attachments/files submitted by students in response to the quiz essay questions.
The hierarchy of folders present in the downloaded zip file is explained through an example.
Example: Quiz Scenario
A Quiz (Programming Tutorial) has an essay question (Question No.: 3, Question name: OOP Concept) requiring attachments/files to be submitted in response by students.
A student (Student name: Anisha Patki, Username: anisha) attempts the quiz twice, each time attaching a response file to that particular essay question.
The files submitted by the student as responses are:
- First Attempt - Answer.odt
- Second attempt - New_answer.pdf
Now, in the downloaded zip file, the folder hierarchy for this particular student's response files is as follows:
- Q8 - OOP Concept / anisha - Anisha Patki / Attempt1_Answer.odt
- Q8 - OOP Concept / anisha - Anisha Patki / Attempt2_New_answer.pdf
(Note: Here, in 'Q8', '8' is the database question id for that particular question and may not match the question no. as it appeared in the quiz as shown in the example above.)
Through this feature, now teachers will be able to download/save all attachments of all attempts submitted by students in response to the quiz essay questions at one time.
Will you implement it in the future versions?
You can also, install the plugin and test it out.
Let me know about this.
"Noticed that the DB select was getting 22 000 records back, but this essay only had 500 attempts on it, so adjusted the DB select to only get essay type records, which dropped it down to 500. There was some more code later on that tried to figure out each one of the 22 000 attempts quiz types, which adds unnecessary processing time. We could then remove the IF statement which already optimized code performance.
We also added in “raise_memory_limit(MEMORY_EXTRA);" to help php with processing and compiling those zip files and data."
Please note that you might need to change timeout settings on php/apache/LB (e.g. NGINX) depending on your architecture deployed.