New to Moodle

New to Moodle

by Kris Cray -
Number of replies: 5
New to Moodle. I am a teacher in Maine and Moodle course management and collaboration application will be included on laptops issued to high school students. It is server software only? Can I install on Windows 98?
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Kris Cray

Re: New to Moodle

by Art Lader -
Hi, Chris,

Welcome to Moodle. smile

What subjects do you teach?

-- Art
In reply to Kris Cray

by Daryl Hawes -
Kris,
Which high school in Maine are you with?
Moodle is server software only.
The laptops can access moodle by using a web browser.
It can be an internal resource only if you do not want it accessed outside the school, or it can be an internet accessible resource. This depends on how you choose to install it.

Daryl
In reply to Daryl Hawes

by W Page -
Hi Kris,

I am a little confused by your post.

As Daryl said, Moodle, is server software,  Did you mean,
  1. Moodle is going to be installed on a school server which students will access?? This would mean the students are "client side" and not "server side" users.  OR
  2. Moodle is going to be installed on a school server which students will access as well as all the students also having  Moodle installed with a server on each of their laptops.  (Yes this can be done, but, why?  This is what is really causing the confusion).  Is part of their course or graduation requirement that they create a course as a project?
Just out of interest,
  • Will the school also provide "Wi-Fi" (wireless) internet access to the students in and around the school. 
  • Will  the school have areas students will be able to directly connect (via wire) to the internet in and around the school.
Sounds like it will be fun to do. smile

WP1