Updating a moodle database with phpmyadmin?

Updating a moodle database with phpmyadmin?

by Luca Arese -
Number of replies: 1

Hi to everyone,

I've installed the new Moodle release (1.3.2) on a testing server.

Now I'd like to transfer in the "new" database (table structure were created from the1.3.2 installation, and are contentslossy). all the contents from the "old" database , using the dump function in phpmyadmin.

I've made a .sql dump of the actual "old" database from my production site (running Moodle 1.2).

The problem i'm trying to solve is to find the right way to update the old data(coming from the dump) in the "new" database.

This why if i create the "new" db from the dump, i've get problems with the new release, because the new release to works fine need to retrieve informations from an updated database.

Please give me an idea ti solve this problem!!!!

Ciao

Luca

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Luca Arese

Re: Updating a moodle database with phpmyadmin?

by Andrea Bicciolo -

Luca, unsure if I correctly understand your needs, but if you are running the "old" database in the same server, you should try to do this:

• dump old db (even with phpMyAdmin)
  • upload to a new folder 1.3.2 (i.e."/moodle.new")
  • copy your confg.php to the new folder (and custom theme if necessary)
  • rename old folder as "/moodle.old" and the new folder as "/moodle"
  • visit http://www.yourserver.com/moodle/admin and your database will be updated automatically to the new version tables mantaining all data.

If something goes wrong, you have both the .old folder and the db dump. You may also use this procedure with different server, in this case you need to install first the very same version of Moodle and db on both servers, then upgrade the server as described above.