General question

General question

by Russ Abbott -
Number of replies: 11

For one application, I'd like to use Moodle primarily as a wiki. The glossary mechanism is pretty much exactly what I want.  The problem is the way it is displayed.  Is there another way to displaying it so that the entries are more like page-size?

Alternatively, is there a way to link automatically from one resource and/or journal to another the way glossary entries are linked? 

Finally, I don't understand the purpose of keywords.  How are they different from categories?

Thanks.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Russ Abbott

Re: General question

by Michelle Moore -
I can't help you on the first question except to suggest that you use the help buttons on the glossary set up page. I noticed that the help next to the "Display Format" gave some instruction as to how to create your own custom format, but it said it involves some understanding of PHP, so that's where I stop. smile

I think I can help you on your second question--as I understand it, the "Activity Names Auto-Linking" filter will set up linking so that when the name of an activity (resource, journal, assignment, etc.) is used in the course, there will be a link to the activity--just as terms in the glossary have links when used elsewhere in the course. However, there does seem to be an exception, though I haven't tested it extensively--activities named in the glossary do not have the links to the activities outside of the glossary.

If this is the kind of linking you are looking for and you have admin access, then go into the Configuration panel, then to Filters and there you can make the auto-linking filter active.

Finally, I hadn't really used keywords in the past, but your question prompted me to look at the help button there as well (they are so helpful!) and I think that keywords could be useful when you have a definition that might be named by several different terms/concepts. For example, for the glossary entry "Martin Dougiamas," my keywords might be "Moodle creator," "Moodle Maven," and "Moodler Extraordinaire." wink

In reply to Russ Abbott

Re: General question

by W Page -
Hello Russ,

MoodleWiki is in v1.4.1 Dev .  You can DL that from the following page and check it out.
http://moodle.org/mod/resource/view.php?id=8

You can also download it from the following location and add it to v1.3.1 or v1.3.2 .
http://moodle.org/download.php/modules/wiki.zip

MoodleWiki also has an associated Forum at,
http://moodle.org/mod/forum/view.php?id=1952 

WP1
In reply to W Page

EWiki

by Russ Abbott -

I had downloaded the EWiki before writing my forum message.  It looks to me that the EWiki is just yet another wiki.  It doesn't seem to be integrated into Moodle.  I didn't see how adding EWiki to the Moodle code would be different from installing any wiki and including it on the same web site. 

I admint that I didn't actually try it.  The readme was too intimidating!  But am I missing something?

I think you guys have really created something great with Moodle. It deserves a wiki that's well integrated with it. As I mentioned previously, the Glossary would pretty much seem to do the job if only it were allowed to be formatted and displayed differently!

Thanks,

-- Russ

In reply to Russ Abbott

Re: EWiki

by Mike Churchward -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Russ -

I'm not sure what you mean...

EWiki was used as the basis for the wiki that was integrated into Moodle, and now part of the standard release. You don't have to go and get EWiki and install it - you use the one that exists as a Moodle module. EWiki was chosen as it was designed to be used with other programs.

So, what do you mean when you say it "doesn't seem to be integrated into Moodle"?

mike

In reply to Mike Churchward

by Russ Abbott -

Hi Mike,

This is what W Page said in answer to my question.

Hello Russ,

MoodleWiki is in v1.4.1 Dev .  You can DL that from the following page and check it out.
http://moodle.org/mod/resource/view.php?id=8

You can also download it from the following location and add it to v1.3.1 or v1.3.2 .
http://moodle.org/download.php/modules/wiki.zip

MoodleWiki also has an associated Forum at,
http://moodle.org/mod/forum/view.php?id=1952 

WP1

That's why I downloaded EWiki and then had a question about it.

When you suggest using the one that exists as a Moodle Module, how do I do that?  It isn't in the drop down llist of things I can add to the main menu--as far as I remember.  Where do I find it?  (I'm afraid I'm doing this from home, and my Moodle installation is at work--behind a firewall.  [I should bring one home too.] So I can't look around on it.)

Thanks.

-- Russ

In reply to Russ Abbott

by Mike Churchward -

Aha.

So if you're using a version of Moodle that doesn't have the wiki as a standard module, you add it as an additional module. Doing this is pretty simple.

Unzip the wiki zip file you get from the moodle download area (not the actual ewiki - if you went to their site to get it), into your Moodle '/mod' directory. That will create a '/mod/wiki' directory. Once you've done that, log in as an administrator and visit your admin section. The wiki will be installed and will now be available from the activities drop-down lists.

Let me know if you have any problems.

mike

In reply to Mike Churchward

by W Page -
Hi Mike,

On reflection I think the language files in the "Wiki.ZIP" is missing.  Russ may have to DL the "en" language ZIP, decompress it and then upload it into the language directory.

BTW, still having fun with the MoodleWiki.

WP1
In reply to W Page

by Russ Abbott -

Wiki still doesn't show up in the drop-down list of things I can add to the Main Menu.  (Is that where it's supposed to appear?)  It also doesn't show up in  Administration » Configuration » Modules, which contains the same list as what appears in the drop-down menu.

Is it possible that I'm completely fouled up? I was also trying to play with Blogs.  So I downloaded the Blogs stuff and installed it in a copy of the Moodle code. When running that code, when I go to  Administration » Configuration » Blocks I get

Agent-based modeling and simulationLogout
spacer.gif

Blocks

No blocks found!

Continue

You are logged in as Admin User (Logout)

I assume that shouldn't happen. 

When running the code without the blog stuff and I go to  Administration » Configuration » Blocks I get no Blocks, but no error message--just

Agent-based modeling and simulationLogout
spacer.gif

Blocks

Is that ok?

In any event, I don't see wiki anywhere even though I do have a moodle > mod > wiki directory. It contains two subdirectories (db and ewiki) and a bunch of files including ewikimoodlelib.php (so I do have the Moodle version of EWiki).

What now?

Thanks.

I didn't follow W.Page's instructions to download the en file. I wasn't sure where to get it.

Also, since I installed Moodle just last week, why didn't I have a version that included the wiki?  Is wiki a part of the standard version?

-- Russ

P.S. By the way, is it reasonable to run two versions of the Moodle code?  Under Apache2 > htdocs, I have two different Moodle's, one called moodel and one called moodle2.  They seem to use the same database.  Do they remain within their separate directories when running, or does the code have hard-coded references within it?  Is this a reasonable way to try out different configurations of the code?

In reply to Russ Abbott

by W Page -
Hi Russ,

These are my suggestions. Just a few things.
  • Start all over with a fresh file install and fresh database install
  • Suggest for you at this time to create the following which will provide you with the most options right now to check out the features you are interested in.
    • A Moodle (normally installed) with no alterations or changes - [v1.3.2]
    • A Moodle (normally insatalled at first) - then with "Blog" changes. - [v1.3.1 is better if you can find it}, [v1.3.2 if you cannot get v1.3.1].
    • A Moodle (normally installed) - v1.4 Dev - this has MoodleWiki already installed.
  • See the folllowing thread regarding installing more than one Moodle on one database.
  • If you are one of the lucky folk with unlimited or more than one database I would suggest installing different Moodles on different databases.
  • You should not be using different Moodles with the same database. I am sure this can be done at times but one probably really has to know what they are doing. If any one of the MoodleMasters know more about this please make a notation about it here.
  • Try to learn some PHP. I am a beginner myself so this is not meant to be a "smarty" response. It will help you,
    • understand what is going on better so you can eventually make corrections yourself, and,
    • eventually write your own code to create your own customized changes you want in your Moodle
    • give back to the Moodle community by providing useful code.
  • Trial and error is a pain in the "a....." but it helps us to learn. Most Moodlers go through some phase of it.The more you use Moodle the braver you will become with making changes.

I hope this helps.

WP1

In reply to W Page

by Russ Abbott -

WP1, thanks for the suggestions.

I have to go off and teach a class right now, so this will be a quick reply.

I teach computer science; I think of myself as a programmer (my stupid questions notwithstanding); I like programming; I've made some sophisticated web applications in PHP, but that was more than 5 years ago. So I have no problem with doing some PHP stuff. (I didn't like PHP, I much prefer Java.  But I think PHP is probably the best bet for server-side programming. Programming in JSP is too ugly. The whole web development framework it crazy.  But that's another story.)

On the other hand, I seem to be terrible at sys-admin.  Set me up in an environment in which I can work, and I'm vey productive. But downloading, installing, figuring out .ini files, etc. always seem to go wrong for me.  So to follow your advice, I'd appreciate (and will probably be asking for) lots of help in getting things set up to be a Moodle developer.

-- Russ

In reply to Russ Abbott

by Mike Churchward -

Wow. Something is going bad there.

If the installation is working correctly, dropping a module into the '/mod' directory (as a subdirectory of /mod), and visiting your admin page will automagically install the module for you. Then you can see it where you say you can't. Same with blocks (only in the '/blocks' directory).

If you haven't got too far yet, I'd suggest starting over. If you have, can you grant me access to your site for a look see? I might be able to tell you if something is out of place.

Incidently, love the subject of your course. Agent-based Simulation is something I was doing a lot of work with in the last few years.

mike