uninstall - access of uploads/sessions

uninstall - access of uploads/sessions

by T G -
Number of replies: 10
Hi there,
trying to uninstall the current moodle version, I stumbled over a folder that held on to his life. Couldn´t delete it, not with the account I created it: moodle/uploads (and inside, sessions)
The session folder is something I can´t even look into, I guess it´s because it was created by the (php) script and not by me, but... how to get rid of it?
ciao

Tomi
Average of ratings: -
In reply to T G

Re: uninstall - access of uploads/sessions

by Andrea Bicciolo -

It sounds like an ownership problem. Try to change owner logging in with root privileges and, if you are on linux, issue the command "chown -R newowner yourfolder". -R implies "recursively", so if your folder contains any other file/folder the owner is changed accordingly. Under windows you can do it within the windows interface itself. Hope this help.

In reply to T G

by Bryan Williams -

Tomislav,

Check to see what the permissions for this folder are set at on the server. By default, there is no "uploads" folder within Moodle. Perhaps you or someone else added this folder and set the permissions so it cannot be deleted through ftp.

In reply to Bryan Williams

by T G -
Hi guys,
thanks a lot for the answers. I created the uploads folder during installation, it was mentioned somewhere as neccessary if memory serves me right...
I set the root folder /moodle/ to 777, added "X" to it (using winscp, not sure what it means, but it helped deleting other files which were created by postnuke), but I couldn´t send anything to be recursive. The owner in that file, as I created it, is me - and I´m definitively using the same login (there´s only one *heh). Something else I could try?
In reply to T G

by Bryan Williams -

First, the upload folder you were supposed to create is not to be located within Moodle. This folder, typically named "moodledata", should be located outside of the public directory (ie. public_html or www) and is one of the items added to your main config.php file during installation.

Check to see if you have a file in this upload directory that may in fact be running on the server. If this is the case, you will not be able to delete the folder. For example, since you located upload in a public area and chmode is set to 777, is there a spyware program running on your server that some nice 13 year old left for you. After backing up whatever is important in this folder, start deleting items one at a time. You should find your culprit, and may need the server admin to help you out.

by T G -
Hi,
yes, I messed it up- the uploads folder was put there accidently, I didn´t pay attention to the part where it said that it should stay outside the public_html. In the upload dir is only one folder, "sessions", I didn´t create it, but I can´t look into it or even chmod it. Right now it´s on 0750. I can´t delete it or do anything with it. I´m pretty sure nobody got to the folder though, the whole server is protected by .htaccess user protection, the domain is new and unknown, bots are kept outside etc.
What could be running in the session folder that I can´t access or delete it?
In reply to T G

by Bryan Williams -

What could be running in the session folder that I can´t access or delete it? 

This is the Moodle sessions folder which tracks activity. If Moodle is running on the server (someone has a page loaded), this directory is being written to and cannot be deleted.

by W Page -
Thanks

Good info to know, Bryan!

WP1

by T G -
Well, the moodle/uploads/sessions is the only (and empty) folder that´s left of moodle wink
In reply to T G

by W Page -
Hi Tomislav,

If the directory has a ".htaccess" file inside of it, it may be invisible in FTP.  You can try a command inside of the directory "-al" or "-la" which may cause an invisible file to display.  If so you will need to delete it and then try to delete the directory.

If you have SSH you might be able to get rid of it easier.  If you do have access to SSH you should first check the contents of the directory to make sure you are not deleting something that you want and then try to delete it.

I had to use SSH to get rid of a directory one time when I could not remove it or even get into it via FTP.

Hope this helps.

WP1

In reply to W Page

by T G -
Hi WP,
thanks for the info - the folders are totally empty, except that I can´t say what´s inside sessions/
I use WinSCP and .htacess is visible, there´s one in the root folder. Perhaps I´ll just ask the admin to delete the thing, after all, I don´t seem to have the right permissions for it.

Thanks everybody!