Welsh translation

Welsh translation

by Mark Brandish -
Number of replies: 21

Just started work on a Welsh translation pack. If anyone has already started one please let me know.

How would I go about submitting it for inclusion in Moodle?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mark Brandish

Re: Welsh translation

by koen roggemans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Translators

Hi Mark,

Thank you for your intention to contribute! What a coincidence. I'm just writing a translators manual. glimlach A topic there is how to get your contribution in the main Moodledistribution.

You can post the initial files of the translation as a zipfile to martin@moodle.org . Later on you can get CVS-access so you can submit your work directly.

In reply to koen roggemans

by Steven Roberts -
Is there any news on the Welsh language translation?

We are currenlty setting Moodle up and we would like it to be available in Welsh for the Welsh medium schools.

Diolch 
In reply to Steven Roberts

by koen roggemans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Translators
Not on moodle.org. You could try to contact the former poster personaly.
In reply to Steven Roberts

by Steve Lomas -
Steven

We have begun to translate the strings (.php) and hope to have them completed by the summer (two translators down at the moment, hence delay).  Work on the Help files (.html) will begin at about that time.

We feel that most admins will be happy to set up Moodle using English versions of help files, but that the look for the students and teachers (i.e. the .php files) is most important.

If you, or anyone reading this, has translated any of the files (php scripts or html help files) then please reply to this message and I will arrange for you to e-mail them to me for inclusion. Note: all contributions will be acknowledged in the readme file for the language pack.

Thanks
Steve

by Steven Singer -

Hi Mark,

I wonder if you could let us know where you are with your development with a Welsh Lang pack?

kind regards.

Steve Singer

In reply to Steven Singer

by Steve Lomas -
I was going to initiate a Welsh translation, but if you have it already please post.

Will it be Welsh for north or south Wales?

What abbreviation will you use for the language: We, Cy or other?

Many schools and LEA's in Wales are adopting Moodle and Welsh is essential as a translation.

Please update.

I note that you do not appear to be a member of this forum!
In reply to Steve Lomas

by koen roggemans -
Hi,

I didn't receive any Welsh translation yet, so I doubt someone is making one or has made one.
Otherwise, if someone out there has a start of a translation, please contribute it to the Moodle project.

But it might be a good idea to start a translation of your own. All info on how to do that on http://docs.moodle.org/en/Translation.

I will help you with any technical issues if necessary.

by Steve Lomas -
The Welsh Language Board have apparently taken on the task.  However, I do not have a contact name to check on progress.

I am sure the WLB would be assisted in their efforts if they were to join Moodle and register as language developers.

I will chase up a name and talk to him/her, then point them towards Moodle site.
In reply to Steve Lomas

by koen roggemans -
Thanks for that. We would be able to help them out with some problems and avoid doing double work with may be other groups started/wanting to start.
In reply to Steve Lomas

by Frances Thomson -
Have you heard any news on this, or have you got a contact name I can use?  I'm about to start using Moodle and I absolutely have to have one version in Welsh and one in English.  I will probably have to send the relevant files off to a translator to do - so if I can get even a part-done version I can save money (and then, obviously, feed back the extra translations to the community).
In reply to Frances Thomson

by Tom Cowles -
I don't know if people all ready know this, but there is a Moodle-Wales mailing list for users of Moodle in Wales.

http://www.rsc-wales.ac.uk/content_display.asp?key=199

HTH
In reply to Tom Cowles

by Hannah Mathias -
Just to let you know that Moodle has very nearly been completely translated. I should know more shortly. Though this is only a translation of  1.5. 1.6 and 1.7 haven't been started as far as I'm away!

At the next Wales Moodle user group meeting 20th October we will be discussing furture developments of the Welsh Moodle translation.

Thanks

Hannah
In reply to Hannah Mathias

by Craig Jones -
How is this coming on - is the language pack ready for release?

We are desperate for its inclusion.

Many Thanks,

Craig Jones

albanwr@gmaill.com
In reply to Craig Jones

by Hannah Mathias -
Here isa link to the 1.7 translationn.

http://cardiffschools.net/translate/

It's setup using the CSV system so the whole community ca contribute, so follow the link, register and start translating. The more the merrier.

Thanks

Hannah

In reply to Hannah Mathias

by koen roggemans -
Hi Hannah,

How about including the translation in Moodle CVS and update it regularly? That way, the translation is installable and upgradable through the Moodle interface

by Aidan Thorne -

Interesting string!!! Can someone clarify if it Is possible to Moodle in Welsh yet?

Thanks

Aidan

In reply to Aidan Thorne

by David Banes -
Im slightly confused as to whether there is a welsh transalation available or whether one is pending - any update ?

by Karen Coyle -

I’m pleased to inform you that the Welsh language pack for Moodle 1.8.2  was submitted to moodle.org today.

If you want a copy now, it is on the front page of the welsh translation Moodle website, hosted by Coleg Menai, North Wales.

http://www.e-menai.com/cyfieithumoodle/

On behalf of all who contributed to the success of this project

In reply to Karen Coyle

by koen roggemans -
In CVS now, with some technical error corrections, so please use the CVS version for further language pack development.

The help files are not in yet, since they contain some cy-...html files, which should not be there and some English files.

Thanks for your effort!