Prospective users...

Prospective users...

by Chris Collman -
Number of replies: 10
Picture of Documentation writers
It is time for one of my yearly soapboxes: We need to have an obvious path for prospective users of Moodle to follow and something to say and show them. We don't treat this group (or new users for that matter) as we would new students.

• Example: Bb has a box on their main page called "Solutions for". Evidently they think their prospective users are HigherEd, K-12 (obviously American), Professional Ed and Commerce.

While I think we should have a Moode Uses/Outcomes link section. What the groups are and what to say is something else. Perhaps a namespace in MoodleDocs is a place to start.

This prospective user viewpoint also relates to demo.moodle.org and http://moodle.org/course/view.php?id=34. These are not good demonstrations for a prospective user (ie a student who wants to learn about Moodle). For example, the focus/thesis should be on Moodle (with all due respect, not English Lit nor Physics). id=34 at least has some interesting history, but demo.moodle is stuck back in 1.4 and does not show an administrator or teacher anything about grades, groups and other 1.9 features in action!

Moodle.org needs more resources devoted to these projects. These things remind me of institutional plant maintenance. When the budget is tight, "we can put off painting the building that contains our science lab we just upgraded, until next year." How many perspective students are NOT interested in walking into an unmarked building with peeling paint, despite having the latest and greatest inside?

And here I am communicating on a forum, using Moodle and I think that is great.

Best Chris

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Chris Collman

Re: Prospective users...

by A. T. Wyatt -
Interesting points. Reminds me of several conversations that have been happening here and in the lounge about sharing courses, usability, getting people started with a simpler interface, and having targeted documentation.

People are certainly thinking about exactly these things, but I don't know that a direction or priority has emerged.

I just attended an Open Software conference, and other projects are talking about exactly the same thing. A benefit for moodle is that it is a mature project and has lots of room for a variety of different viewpoints and skillsets to contribute.

I am reminded yet again of Clay Shirky's book "Here Comes Everybody". Open source is a large group collaborative process. 80% of the work is done by 20% of the participants. The project has to have a high tolerance of failure (if you judge "failure" in the traditional way--continuous, sustained output). It may move slowly, because it is mostly a volunteer effort. But it does move!

Perhaps we could use some direction from the higher ups?? smile

atw

In reply to A. T. Wyatt

by Chris Collman -
Hi,
More resources, does involve higher ups. at least in my opinion smile

Notice I only get up on this particular soapbox about once a year. Maybe I should just do it, then everyone can spread my guts out on the forum floor to see if the signs are auspicious. { I am having entirely too much fun on a Friday afternoon}. Ok, here is an idea that can be done right now.

Wipe the demo.moodle format clean. I would start with 3 course categories: Demonstrations, Tutorials and Shared Courses. Create courses and assign teachers. "What me worry?" MoodleDocs is working out and that is a real free for all. That is my flexible vision, use Moodle's tools for teachers to collaborate with each other in development and even let "students" and visitors to see and use things as the course develops. Moodle software can handle this and maintain some semblance of control just like a (gasp) real course. Over the years, I have grown fond of those pedagogical principles, what else can I say about a collaborative model?

Be happy, leave the old "Moodle Features Demo" right on the front page for a while so those who need it will feel safe. The techies should be able to figure out how to restore it every hour and leave the rest alone and then when a teacher figures a course has matured, add it to the list of hourly restores. In the meantime, that is the teacher's worry and why they can do backups and restores for their course, hide and unhide it or parts as they see fit. Still not happy, don't give them rights to reveal their course until it has been reviewed. Authority can always banish non believers to the Pointless Forest. I don't see why it is so hard to take the first step.

It will be a painful at first. How about figuring out different roles for the same user (student) in different courses. And I am sure that there will be other bumps. And what is the worst that can happen, we go back to the DULL AND BORING Moodle Features Demo that never changes. Education is always a challenge and it should be fun and exciting for everyone.

Please we need at least one more Helen for this !

A.T. you really got me wound up. Now I am guessing that of the 20% of MoodleDoers, 80% are not interested in this. Even better, less cooks.

Best to all Chris

by A. T. Wyatt -
I believe it is technically possible to do the 'restore every hour' just as you describe. I am sure that it was mentioned as a strategy in this thread:
http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=94854

(Well, we can read it again and see if I am right!)

And I still think that the 80/20 thing is probably right! (What got *me* wound up was thinking about that power rule in the context of student effort in my courses. . .thoughtful ) And I mispoke up there, I mean that one part of the traditional definition of failure is THE LACK OF continuous, sustained output. But on the other hand, you might make up in sheer numbers of people who contribute one or two things before they go off to other things. Moodle user IDs are up to 553,839 or something? And how many people do you "know" in the forums? A couple of hundred? It makes sense to me.

I don't know how this should look, but it sounds like you have some good ideas. Maybe a consensus will emerge and we will be able to address some problems in the time honored collaborative fashion that abounds in this community!

atw

by Matt Gibson -
I have to agree. The lack of a 'How to build a moodle site' course is an enormous omission for a site that is providing teaching software. The demo course is at best a technical demonstration and not a pedagogical one. I've found myself putting together a course like this and being annoyed that I am certainly re-inventing the wheel as many people must have done something similar for their teachers. I think I'll review it for sensitive student data and see if its suitable for sharing...
In reply to Matt Gibson

by A. T. Wyatt -
Great! I would like to see it.

atw
In reply to A. T. Wyatt

by Matt Gibson -
A.T.,

I was just checking it and found that loads of my 'Create a web page' resources have absolute links to my site URL for the screenshot images. Do you know if the restore process will sort those out and replace the links with ones to the new site files?
In reply to Matt Gibson

by A. T. Wyatt -
I think I have always had problems with this. The files came over, but I had to reset the links to the images. Somewhere someone posted some update code that you can run on your database to change all the URLS, but of course you would have to be careful! Also, I think you might be able to edit the xml file directly before you restored it and address a lot of the problem proactively. (That would be my first choice, I guess.)

This discussion is instructive--
http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-10882

atw

In reply to Matt Gibson

by Marc Grober -
My experience with this (much to my sigoth's dismay) is that one of the best ways to provide install documentation is to second chair a newbee doing an install for the first time, from hitting the site to completing all admin set-up (which should include cron set-up, php-cgi issues, etc.. The doc write sits on a second system doing exactly what the newbee does but can then snap screen shots and take notes. Once the prototype is compiled, then it is tried out on another innocent to see where language is confusing, where some stop signs or pauses need to be placed, where some branching may be appropriate, etc. Finally, I would create a "prequel" which would be a punch-list with references to documents that will be helpful during the install so that the user can have all the documentatin and materials and access ready BEFORE s/he starts.

and

out of date documentation is often worse than no documentation... so anyone bold enough to write documentation should stay, well, vigilant??

I have a class of teachers now and could offer them an opportunity to earn some extra credit if they wanted to do this if there was some interest and they were interested?
In reply to Marc Grober

by Chris Collman -
Hi Marc,
I really had to chuckle about sitting next a new Moodler setting up a course. Last weekend I was doing just that with my wife. The things I learned big grin . Seriously, there was a huge "cultural" difference between us, plus the spouse twist.

Your idea of getting new teachers to assist is a good one. I like the "punch/check list," for a project or task. The old what do you think you are going to do after reading a listening to us. What did you do. How would you do things differently for the next teacher. Getting people to do that is really hard, even on just a slice of the whole thing. However, watching that process is very educational as you and I know.

I have spent quite a bit of time in MoodleDocs, so I might be just a little sensitive. The other problem with documentation is versions. How does a public documentation model support multiple versions? Do we treat them like a separate language page? And what about those help pages that link from a Moodle site? I don't think we are horrible, but my theme is we need more examples, not instructions.

"Which thing is not like the others?" sing Bert and Ernie in my version of Moodle Street. Moodle.org, Tracker, MoodleDocs are all naturally bouncing and interacting with all sorts of characters. Then we have demo.moodle over in the corner. Why is it different?

And I will document my wife setting up rooms for her organization's committees. Excellent idea Marc.

Best Chris

In reply to Marc Grober

by Matt Gibson -
Nice ideas. Makes me think of this software I saw which automates the recording of what the newbie is doing on screen, plus what they are saying at the time (you ask them to narrate their experiences). Pricey though sad