K-12 forum name is confusing in UK

K-12 forum name is confusing in UK

by Matt Gibson -
Number of replies: 9
I realised a while back that K-12 means 'secondary eduction from 11-18 years' in the US. However, KS 1-2 means 'Primary eduction from 4-11 years' in the UK, so I had completely ignored the forum, assuming it was for primary teachers only (and misspelt).

I suggest a name change from 'Moodle in K-12 schools' to 'Moodle in K-12 (primary and secondary) schools', which seems to make sense in US & Australian parlance as well. I think I mentioned this before somewhere, but have forgotten where.

Any thoughts?
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Matt Gibson

Re: K-12 forum name is confusing in UK

by Jeffery Watkins -
K-12 in the US means 5 years old to 18 years old.

Jeff
In reply to Jeffery Watkins

by Matt Gibson -
Whoops! I stand corrected.

Further proof of how confused us Brits can get over terminology smile
In reply to Matt Gibson

by Chris Collman -
Picture of Documentation writers
Matt,
My spell checker goes nuts and I am not a good speller in any language. How about defining the ages instead of preschool, primary, secondary, college, university, higher education, graduate, post doctorate or what ever. That is how you bridged the gap.

Why not "Moodle in schools for 5+- to 17+- year olds". We can let the development experts argue about the upper and lower limits.

Best Chris
In reply to Matt Gibson

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
See http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=28568 for some background.

How about "Moodle for children" ?
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Matt Gibson -
'Children' on its own doesn't cover my students very well, who are all 16-19. I Think Chris's suggestion works well - including 'school' with an age range.
In reply to Matt Gibson

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Out of interest: what kind of issues do you feel you need discussing for this age group that could not be covered in the other forums?

I guess the whole forum could use some refocussing.

by Sherry Brown -
As a high school teacher, I do check this forum precisely because of the forum title. It goes with the job, I figure. Looking at the message subjects - most (all?) could fit into other forums. I'm not sure segregating forums by age group/end use of Moodle is necessary. The issues also appear in other forums (K-12 privacy laws and notes come to mind). And, if this is worthy of its own forum, what about Corporate/Business Training Forum or a Higher Education Forum?

That said, here's my inelegant suggestion: pre-College/pre-University Moodling.

by Matt Gibson -
I was largely thinking that schools all face similar issues and that at the moment, if I want to know what the latest great new thing for schools is, I have to trawl the whole site. Its not clear what I should pay attention to and what I should ignore e.g. the feedback module has its own forum, but if I post there that I have just used a feedback to ask students what they think of the school canteen, and have made the head cook into a teacher of their own course so they can get students involved, it may well be missed by a lot of school teachers. I'm particularly thinking of the teachers who don't come here very often and just want updates.

If nothing else, I think the forum is needed to be a place where people can post 'did you see x discussion over in the y forum?' and then talk about it in terms of impact on schools.

It could also give a reflection of what issues matter most in schools as opposed to universities and online providers. SIMS integration for us in the UK is a big thing for example, as well as the ability to have site-wide groups.
Perhaps a category on the docs would help too as there is probably quite a bit of distilled wisdom to be had e.g. good initial settings like disabling the messaging system for 11-16 year olds or adding the messaging restrictions hack. It would be good to have all these in one place.

by Chris Collman -
Picture of Documentation writers
Good simple term, gets high marks from me in that category. But calling a 15 year old a child, is running up a red flag in the culture I live in at the moment. My wife tells me the brain stops "developing" around 25 years of age, which got me thinking.

How about "Moodle for non-adults".

And for those who want more categories: younger non-adults, older non-adults, young adults, old adults and of course adults. big grin

Whew, there is absolutely no off position on the genius switch in our Moodle community.

Best Chris