Looking for some stellar examples of Moodle courses

Looking for some stellar examples of Moodle courses

by Martin Dougiamas -
Number of replies: 94
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi all!

I'd like to see some excellent examples of real courses up on http://demo.moodle.org, which would be useful for newbies as well as for making screenshots etc.

We need ones that really use the Moodle features to their fullest, with well-thought-out activities, nice graphics and so on.

Can you please suggest some to us? If they are private or active and you would like us to make them anonymous please contact Helen.

Cheers,
Martin

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

Re: Looking for some stellar examples of Moodle courses

by John Isner -
This will be an extremely valuable resource, especially if the courses include student data (anonymized, of course). IMO 50% of the value of a course used for demonstration purposes is in the student data.

So my question is: Is Helen willing to anonymize student data?
In reply to John Isner

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Yes indeed, student data will be most valuable, and yes we'll happily make them anonymous.

by Marc Grober -
I am almost reluctant to admit that I am a lawyer evil that has been practicing edication law for the past decade or so in the U. S. and no matter how well-intentioned, sharing student data is a no-no...

<strawman>
However, if there were a moodle module that randomly reassigned characters in a course for all data elements that had data by which a student could be identified that might work.... BUT, you have the possibility that students might mention each other or external resources that might provide identifying information..... and bottom line is that the transmitting teacher would have to personally scour all data and frankly would be in my opinion rather foolish to even consider using such a module or even manually cleaning data.
</strawman>

But, it WOULD be SUPER if courses were uploaded without student data - the problem, as some of the discussion has hinted out, is whether those courses would pass a copyright review, especially considering the tangled web international copywrite law is..... I was just in fact reading one author's comments on copywrite infringement on purplemath.com, reproduced here for purposes of fair comment and retrieved April 26, 2008 from http://www.purplemath.com/terms.htm:

Please note that the copyright on Purplemath has been registered with the Copyright Office of the United States of America. All Rights Reserved. Violators have been and will be prosecuted according to the Digital Millennium Copyright Act, the Berne Convention, and other applicable statutes. (Copyright Certificate of Registration #TX-5-804-898: high-resolution (0.9 meg) PDF and low-resolution images of front and back pages)

In the last five years there been 131 documented instances of copyright violation, of which 124 have been resolved in favor of Purplemath. The remaining seven are currently in or approaching litigation.

If you have questions regarding these Terms of Use, please contact the owner, or write to "Elizabeth Stapel, POB 1184, Palatine IL 60078-1184, USA". Thank you.

Such discussion is pastel by comparison to a professional discussion I had with the solicitor for an Australian publisher regarding use of material from a text book his client published on a website access to which was limited to students in the U. S. owning the book......

<nightmare>
My guess is that you would have to have a specific agreement with any poster that the poster warrants that the content of any course does not infringe upon anyone's copyright, holds moodle.org harmless and provides a specific license for the course's use as well as a way for copyright holders to make infringement claims....
</nightmare>

The hope I see is that at some point it is the support that becomes valuable as opposed to the content, in a sense as you might look at what has happened in the linux arena.

All that being said I will happily upload the Math materials for teachers and students we develop, though it may take several months to ensure all the necessary copyrights have been recognized ;=} and I do hope there are those just crazy enough to do the same....
In reply to Marc Grober

by John Isner -
There's related discussion in the Lounge, Publishers sue Georgia Tech for copyright infringement started by A.T. Wyatt, in which A.T. writes

I always think that this copyright problem is a very good reason why, every time we see a plea for open moodle courses in a repository, people do not come forward and share their course materials (besides the fact that they might be very customized to a particular instructor or class and therefore less useful to others). Much of what we might use in a course comes from a publisher. While I might use such materials in my own course, I think packaging it up and sharing it with the world would be a serious violation.

Incidentally, Oxford University Press among others is suing Georgia State University for unauthorized redistribution of copyrighted material through Blackboard/WebCT.
In reply to John Isner

by Chad Parmentier -
I would like to take a shot at developing a moodle demo course. I think what is needed is a course centered around outcomes and one that demonstrates the true interaction and collaboration of students working with core academic content. Its difficult to explain but my wife and I have had classes at the high school level "take off" and students began to interact with content and each others experiences to end with a higher understanding of the content. Our subjects are limited to English and history but we are piloting one of the first summer school "hybrid" courses in a Michigan public school. Our summer English course will have clean graphics and use many different activities (differentiated instruction). The discussion boards will be instructor facilitated and active versus passive. The students taking the class are deemed at risk and range in age from 15 to 17. Grades 9-10.

We are in the process of developing the course now and it starts July 7th and runs into the first part of October. I will check with central administration on the ferpa laws but I think as long as we have parental consent and user data is anonymous we should be ok. let me know if this would be helpful to the community.

by A. T. Wyatt -
Do you have size limits? Any course with multimedia will be very large.

What about submitting a single topic rather than a whole course?

atw
In reply to A. T. Wyatt

by Martin Dougiamas -
No size limits smile but I think a "good" Moodle course would not be too top-heavy with videos etc anyway.

by Chris Collman -
Picture of Documentation writers
I can not use any of our courses. However, I do have the Lesson Demo which has 4 lessons in it. This is up on Tracker MDLSITE-304.

Best Chris

by Jeff Forssell -
The demo "features" course on that site has a page which is supposed to demonstrate Moodle's Algebra and TeX filter. But it looks like the filter has not been turned on. So the feature is not demonstrated! sad Can some administrator for that turn it on! (Where's the page feedback link? [that I keep wishing for] At least I've started making some specs for it.)

I can dig that the student info is a real goldmine for showing Moodle do it's tricks.

Thought I might give a link to a wink-presentation about regrading a quiz, but chickened out when I saw how many of my mail addresses would be "un-anonymized" mixed. (Maybe I'll redo a couple frames in it.)

In reply to Jeff Forssell

by Jeff Forssell -
Someone in the Swedish forum asked about embedding music. I thought I'd give a link to the Features Demo. Tried first http://demo.moodle.org/mod/resource/view.php?id=12

But it looks like that is also a case of a filter not being turned on.

It is important for people to easily see how good Moodle is. I know the Feature Demo, when I first checked it out, had working Algebra filter etc. So I started wondering what has happened? It's hardly a good showcase if the Feature Demo on our official site doesn't show the features.

I looked at the page: How to install the Features Demo
In that page I see no mention of the need to turn on filters in the administration interface.

I just realized this isn't the Features Demo that one gets to from the Moodle.org front page (http://moodle.org/course/view.php?id=34). Things like Math notation are properly turned on there.

But it would be good to, in the Features Demo course in both places, include instructions about turning on filters in the "how to install" page AND on the specific pages that are dependent on the filters. I know that one of the most common new math teacher questions is "why isn't math notation working?" (I would think that for language teachers there would probably be the same question about embedding sound.)

by Martin Dougiamas -
Maths and media pages fixed, thanks. smile

Regarding improvements to the Features demo, please file ideas in the Moodle Tracker for Helen to look at.

Still looking for some real courses though.

by Jeff Forssell -
I'm hopelessly behind in this forum! Work keeps getting in the way. (Time to change employer!)

Anyhow I partially anonymized my wink presentation. I tried to put it up on the MoodleTutorial website, but it didn't accept swf files. And the help page there is empty so I can't know what format they want. But it is a BETA site. Heres a link to it on my site:
http://tupo.biz/wink/RegradingMoodleQuiz.htm

by Rena P -
Martin - have you thought about something like http://openlearn.open.ac.uk/ - the site is commendable for its use of Creative Commons licensing as much as their actual content. wink

"The OpenLearn website gives free access to course materials from The Open University. The LearningSpace is open to learners anywhere in the world."
In reply to Rena P

by Martin Dougiamas -
Yes, I've looked around there. It's a great resource but those courses are mostly just content. I'm looking for very Moodly courses that demonstrate how to really put different activities together.

by Rena P -
Quite understand. I did just remember this site - http://nwonline.nwresd.org/course/view.php?id=2. It doesn't have an incredibly extensive range of activities, but is quite a reasonable, straightforward course outlining the basics of photography. It's designed for self-access.

Any use?

Rena
In reply to Rena P

by Rena P -
... actually, I've just had another look through the site and it seems that it, too, is mostly content based! sad

Like others have already commented on - it's difficult for me to share examples of my own stuff, partly because of privacy reasons but also because they are mostly "paid for" in in-house training courses. Sorry!!!

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Are you talking courses on using Moodle or courses in Moodle on other subjects (if you get my meaning smile )

by Stephan Rinke -
Hi Martin,

I am sure that a lot of people (me included) are reluctant as they fear that they are breaching copyright laws. I would have one or two courses you could have a look at but I am sure that they are completely terrestrial. Will have to make sure they are kosher though. I'll send a link and pass key for guest access to you via the Moodle messaging system.

All the best from Germany,

Stephan

In reply to Stephan Rinke

by Lesli Smith -
I agree with your implication that the word "stellar" is perhaps what is making some of us hesitant. I am willing to share the course I've been working on stripping and making more compliant for use for a general audience that isn't sitting in front of me in the classroom (meaning there are several gaps in my course that are explained in person), but I would never claim "stellar" as an adjective to describe it. It's rather like a folk art painting as it shows all of the self-taught techniques I've learned in practice over the past four years. I am confident in the level of the pedagogy behind the activities, but the course design defies every rule I've since learned about good course design. Thus, I can't quite say it's a "stellar" example.

So, that said, I am not quite willing, yet, to let it be out of my province of editing rights, etc. In short, as a training tool, it is a definite work in progress. But as it seems that the need is there for something rather than nothing, I can humbly offer my links for now for where it is located. When it is good enough I will certainly be willing to share it on a larger scale.

Currently, users may view it at facultyroom.org, Sample English 9 Course. Username: shakespeare (non-editing tchr) password: stratford

Username: romeo (fake student) password: juliet

I echo the challenges of making a course copyright compliant as I am able to use images and texts within my limited classroom experience and audience and timeframe that cannot be posted on a larger scale for an indeterminate amount of time. This means, though humble looking at the moment, the course design is a little bit better with some of the pictures. I also agree with the challenge of making a course with valuable student user data FERPA compliant. Lastly, as I have used my own course to guinea pig brainstorm what it would take to have courses available to people to see, I have also been stumped by this issue: to really get into a course, one needs to be able to play with editing rights, but how can that be monitored so that course content isn't altered and rogue posters don't take an activity where it shouldn't go? Is there a way to reset a course to its original saved state each hour and still keep the content of wiki pages that are connected to teacher user data? The wiki pages I have to set up for my group wikis and the glossary entries I post are connected to my user data as a teacher, but so far I haven't seen a way to reset a course with only select user data. Have I missed something? These are the technical requirements that are stumping me at the moment, anyway.
In reply to Lesli Smith

by A. T. Wyatt -
Re: student data
I did share a course once and the way I changed all the student data (without going directly to the database) was to archive it from the production server and restore it with users on a local instance of moodle. From there, I could easily edit the student names and grades, and then re-archive and share.

It took some time, but I was not willing to distribute that data to a third party.

atw
In reply to A. T. Wyatt

by Lesli Smith -
Right. I had thought about doing it that way, but here's where my technical expertise fails me. Say I manually change all usernames for the first step of the anonymization process. (My spell check is telling me I just made up a word. wink) What then did you do about forum responses that said things like, "I agree with Magnus (that's my son's name) that weapons are too readily accessible in our society, but disagree with Lesli's stance that laws should be stricter."

And the profile pics that add such a nice dimension? Everyone goes back to the smiley?

These are the layers of Moodle that I think it's important to convey, but I'm stuck on the how. At present, I go through a laborious process of photoshopping names out and cutting and pasting screen shots, but I'm sure someone else out there knows a better way.
In reply to Lesli Smith

by Steve Hyndman -

There are all kinds of "little details" like this that people should consider before packaging up and shipping off their courses with student data...for example, if you have messaging enabled, are you sure you are not sending a database full of student private conversations that you aren't even aware of, but that is readily available to anyone looking in the database? Just one of many things to think about.

Steve

In reply to Lesli Smith

by A. T. Wyatt -
My course did not have any forums or other written assignments. I would say that it is very difficult to be SURE you are sanitizing the data. I don't think I would ever again share a real course. I spent a lot of time going through it all, deleting or changing things, and I could have missed something even then.

atw
In reply to A. T. Wyatt

by Ulrike Montgomery -

Publishing student data outside a school is indeed a problem. However, we need to show the community how a real class can interact in Moodle. That's why I welcome Martin's idea of demo courses.

I have created a dummy class to demonstrate real class activities outside our school. I don't think there are copyright issues (the avatar photos come from Wikipedia). The demo course itself is in German, but I can put some English stuff together and let my English class log in as dummies and have them do some activities.

Cheers,

Ulrike

Attachment students2.gif
In reply to Ulrike Montgomery

by Lesli Smith -
Nice work, Ulrike! I'm in the middle of a similar process in mine. I think I might have to wait until summer, though, as I have four different writing assignments I'm procrastinating on grading by posting here instead. smile
In reply to A. T. Wyatt

by Lesli Smith -
Hi. I've found one more place that I need help with in terms of sanitizing data before I submit a sample course: the calendar. There are only a couple of entries that would possibly compromise student confidentiality (I've had students in plays and involved in doing literary activities in my area that I've promoted in my calendar), but I'd like to delete the entire calendar before I submit my sample course for a third party demo. Unfortunately, I must be missing something somewhere as the events keep importing whether I start with a fresh course and only use the import activity option or whether I use an old course with NO user files or course files as a template. I thought about trying this: uploading the sample course to my MAMP installation at home and then deleting the calendar from the main list of blocks/activities. Would that do it, or is there some other better way to do this?

by Dom London -
A little confused. If I put some of our groovy video, clickable mindmap and interactive animation stuffed courses up there wont it get wiped?

It says there......"The database and files are erased and restored to a clean state every hour on the hour, so don't worry if you make a mess."

Could anyone clarify?

Thanks - sorry for being unintentionally thick

admin at sharedteaching.com
In reply to Dom London

by John Isner -
That's a good question. At first, I thought Martin was planning to put the stellar courses on their own site, e.g., stellar.moodle.org. But he plainly says demo.moodle.org. That means we will be able to log in as admins, teachers, and students and play to our hearts' content, just as we currently do in the Moodle Features course. That would be very nice indeed.

Demo.moodle.org gets reset (erased and restored to its initial state) at the top of every hour. Only the changes to the courses made by users during the hour will be wiped out, and your activities will be restored to their original grooviness smile
In reply to John Isner

by Lesli Smith -
By "initial state," you mean that I can save my course with my dummy user glossary entries, for instance, and my dummy users, and these entries and users will remain intact with the reset? That's the path I'm currently on--copying and pasting actual student responses into my dummy users to use as examples for the activities, but I haven't tried to do this kind of course in a reset environment.
In reply to Lesli Smith

by Martin Dougiamas -
Basically what happens on demo.moodle.org is the entire database is rolled back to old files (which can be in any state we like, including any kind of user data). Every change from the past hour is thrown away. This is all done at Unix level, you don't need to do anything special in Moodle.

by Martin Dougiamas -
If we can't find stellar (which would be very sad) then I'll settle for "good". I'd try to create a fake course from scratch myself but all my subject expertise is IT and Moodle related, so it's confusing in a Moodle demo anyway. A completely different subject would be much more useful I suspect.

There will be no problem with privacy at all. The course will be totally manually cleaned by editing the tables (and approved) before it goes up anywhere public, all names and images changed, with no links back to wherever it came from (nor any credit to you unless you want it). Messaging and such stuff is not included in backups.

by Frances Bell -

Not sure if this is what you are looking for - and it's not a typical 'course' - but on CABWEB we did create anonymised but populated sample of the two sorts of collaboration spaces we offer to participants see http://www.cabweb.net/portal/course/view.php?id=41 (guest access as long as you agree to Site Policy).

In reply to Frances Bell

by Martin Dougiamas -
Thanks Frances, probably we need something more complex than that though.

by Frances Bell -
I thought so - then someone has a lot of work to do converting the complex into the anonymous wink
In reply to Frances Bell

by Martin Dougiamas -
Less work than building a great example from scratch.

by Lesli Smith -
True. And because I'm such an English lit geek and found myself so inspired by Ulrike's example, I'm thinking of all kinds of neat fake conversations I can write in my Romeo and Juliet forums between a fake student Mercutio and a fake student Benvolio. wide eyes I'll try to send a small unit possibility in the next week or so. Some personal issues will deter me from working on it for a while (grandfather-in-law's funeral), but I'll try to get to it as soon as I can.

by Steve Hyndman -

There will be no problem with privacy at all.

I beg to differ. If you are a teacher/professor in an educational institution in the US and you backup your course with student data and send it to moodle HQ (or anywhere else for that matter), then regardless of what happens to the data after you have sent it, you have already violated US law concerning student privacy--unless, of course, you obtain a written release from every student (or from their parents if the students are underage). It doesn't matter how great a job Moodle HQ does at cleaning the data (and I'm sure they would do a find job) before making it public...the mere act of transferring that data to Moodle HQ is a very serious FERPA violation. If you have a "stellar" or "good" course that you want to donate that's great and I would encourage you to do so, but I would strongly recommend you clean that course of all student data and identifying information yourself and then get approval from your administration before sending it outside your organization.

I'm sure many will see this as a "bitter" post and I really don't care. I'm not suggesting that teachers not send in their courses. My main objective is to make sure "well intentioned" teachers don't get themselves in trouble.

And, of course, there is always the possibility that I don't know what I'm talking about, so if you feel that may be the case, ask your principal, superintendent, department chair, dean, school attorney, etc., before discounting my advice here.

Steve

In reply to Steve Hyndman

by Frances Bell -
In the UK, I guess the relevant legislation would be http://www.opsi.gov.uk/Acts/Acts1998/ukpga_19980029_en_1 , more friendly info here http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/RightsAndResponsibilities/DG_10028507
Having had experience of anonymising student interaction, I would caution that this fairly hard work, and is much more than removing names.

by Lesli Smith -
I don't see it as bitter at all. Prudent is more accurate. Don't fault Martin, though, because he hasn't had to experience the spirit crushing system that is the US teacher preparation programs in which one enters wide-eyed and feeling good about choosing a profession that will help others in meaningful ways and one leaves somewhat dejected, knowing that one has instead opted to have one's life governed by a system predicated on risk management over learning. (Of course, the reason our education system works--c'mon it works some of the time--is kind of a testament to the fact that there's actually a little bit of the subversive in most of us who choose to do it anyway. wink)

So, yes, I would echo the caution that US participants should look at supporting with non-user data course examples for now.

by Lesli Smith -
I ran out of time on that last post to clarify that I know that FERPA is in place for very good reasons, and not just risk management reasons. There should be privacy protections. It just frustrates me when it gets taken to the extreme of getting in the way of normal human interactions--ie. the forum in which someone said his school has interepreted it to mean that not even classmates can know who is in their own class.

But for the purposes of this discussion, I think it is possible to submit a course that has good examples of student-level work without compromising privacy. There need to be clear guidelines, though, and I think it would be good for those of us who know Moodle well to discuss strategies and guidelines here.

I like A.T.'s suggestion of breaking it down into modules or units. It would be much easier to generate a small course showing what I've done with a literature unit, for instance. It will take some time, but not as much time, and it will be a better way to show what Moodle can do and how activities can work in concert with each other.

by Martin Dougiamas -
That's fine, obviously people need to conform to all local laws in their own particular country. Thank you for raising that to our attention.

I would of course rather not receive any potentially sensitive data at all, I would far prefer it was already cleaned. I just offered the service to help people contribute because I know it might take some time.

Looking forward to seeing some more courses. Even ones without student data.

by Rene Bravo -
I am new to Moodle and I have read all posts in this discussion. Indeed it would be very helpful for people like me to see some "stellar" examples of Moodle courses as Martin puts it. But the idea is getting lost in all this legal/copyright issues.

In my case (and maybe other beginners would also agree) I would be willing to pay (a small amount) to play as the "student" of a stellar course developed in Moodle where I can see all the features, components etc that it is capable of doing. My guess is that if I enter as "student", all the legal issues would not apply. Am I right?

Can someone point me to some of these top star Moodle courses?

RBravo

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Just a note that as part of his keynote at the 2008 San Francisco Moodle Moot, Martin showed us the first ever Moodle course, which was certainly a good example of online teaching. Also, he gave a 10-point scale of how social-constructionist a course was. Hopefully a recording of the keynote will appear online at some point, and it might be good if the 10-point scale ends up on the docs wiki.

by Tomaz Lasic -

Hi Martin & fellow moodlers"

Here is from a local in Perth....

Yes, the major stumbling block seems to be student privacy etc. and I don't want to go there - exhausted.

But this might fit the bill of what you/we are trying to achieve...

I have just created a handy 'promo' video about how a range of Moodle features are used in our school and how it has changed (quite dramatically) the way things are done around here in a very short period.

The video is in two parts, you will find them both at http://human.edublogs.org

Regards

Tomaz Lasic

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Tomaz Lasic

by Jeff Forssell -
NICE! I've only gotten through the first 3:43 of it and it is SO well-done, practical (in an experience way), concrete, and compact (so many nice details already in less than 4 minutes).

Thanks so much for making and sharing!

Now got to see the rest ....

by Tabitha Parker (was Roder) -
I have been looking for good examples of different glossaries and databases (activity module) as I have found some moodle teachers struggle to know when to use what to achieve what end, so if anyone has any that they don't mind sharing, please post them here so all can use them.
In reply to Tabitha Parker (was Roder)

by Glenys Hanson -
Hello Tabitha,

I don't think my use of the glossary is very original but you can have a look at these demo courses.

I'm an English teacher working in France and I did a presentation at the French MoodleMoot 2008 so the title is in French but most of the content is in English, so even if you don't speak French, you should be able to find your way around OK: La subordination de l'enseignement aux apprentissages : Est-ce possible en FOAD ? You can log in as a guest and see everything.

And here's another one: Learning English on the CLA Platform that's all in English. It's the same glossary but you can log in with:
Username: mac.do
Password: mac.do
and then be able to do everything a student can do.
If you look at the list of participants you'll see they've all got silly names. That's because I used the course in a workshop so I didn't know in advance who the participants would be. But the guy in charge of the university server doesn't like it because it's a security risk so the course may not be around for much longer.

I haven't used a database yet but I have seen a list of original uses somewhere on Moodle. If someone knows where the list is, I'd love to find it again.

Cheers,
Glenys

In reply to Glenys Hanson

Hi Glenys
Thanks so much for your help. Your CLA demo also has a great example of random glossary block, great example. I hope you can keep it and share it with others. smile
Tabitha

by Ruchi Raina -
Hello Glenys,
I like the way you have modified the interface to give it a clean look. I see that you created customized blocks, such as online dictionary, teacher, and newspaper and magazines.

I want to do something similar for the courses I am working on. Can you please share how did you create the customized blocks?

Thanks,
Ruchi

In reply to Ruchi Raina

by Glenys Hanson -
Hello Ruchi,

First click on "Turn editing on" and you will see a "Block" on the right called "Blocks". In the drop down list, you'll see "HTML". This a block you can customise with any content you like: lists of links, images, sound or video files ... anything you can put in a webpage. You can have as many of them as you need, changing the title "HTML" each time.

Cheers,
Glenys

Attachment html_block.png

by Ruchi Raina -
Thanks Glenys,
I think I missed out the html option earlier.
Thanks for pointing out.

~Ruchi

by Julian Ridden -
Here is an example of how my Junior School librarian used the Database tool for a book review project.

Students are encouraged to review books that they have read and to add them to the database for other students to see.

Screenshot attached.
Attachment book-review.jpg
Average of ratings: Useful (5)
In reply to Julian Ridden

by Mark Drechsler -
Now that (and in fact the other examples as well) is an excellent use for a database! Well done to whoever came up with the idea smile

by Julian Ridden -
I have received a few PM's about this one. Remember all, it is usually best to post questions in the thread so that everyone can get the benefit of the response.

I have attached the template file for this book review database to this post so tht anyone else can use it or maybe dissect it a bit to see how it works.

Would be great to see more people sharing their Database presets as I am sure there are many other fantastic uses out there.

To use someone else's templates (called a preset) follow these steps.
  1. Create your database activity as normal.
  2. Click on the "presets" tab
  3. Scroll down to the "Import from zip file" and upload then choose the zip file of the preset . (mine is attached to this post)
  4. Click "import"
  5. You are done. you can now use your own new Book Reviews Database. smile

Julian

Thanks Julian. I have used your preset, worked excelente. I then played with it, edited a field (genre - added more options) and added entries to it. Gracias!

Now just looking in Moodle docs to see where we should be adding presets to the documentation area for sharing smile

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Yes, thanks Julian for sharing your book reviews database preset. approve

Tabitha, thanks for your suggestion of using Moodle Docs for sharing presets. As a temporary measure, I've added a link to this discussion in the database presets documentation. Hopefully it won't be long though before we have a database for sharing presets on moodle.org, similar to the themes database.
In reply to Helen Foster

There are quite a few presets uploaded all through this forum, so it will be great to see them in a database for others to use.
In reply to Helen Foster

Hi Helen
A thought - could we have a repository of database presets in the moodle exchange? Thoughts?
Thanks
Tabitha

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Tabitha, thanks for your suggestion. A repository of database presets is planned for some point - see MDLSITE-303.

by Jason Bedell -
Thank you very much for this resource. Quick question though. After I imported it, it seemed to work fine. However, instead of stars for ratings, I only have question marks.
In reply to Jason Bedell

by Steven O'Donnell -
I am having the same issue. I too would like to see the stars as opposed to the question marks. Has anyone found out how to do this?
In reply to Steven O'Donnell

by Steven O'Donnell -
Question:
I am having the same issue. I too would like to see the stars as opposed to the question marks. Has anyone found out how to do this?

Maybe this question will be easier to answer with a picture attached:

Attachment book-review.jpg
In reply to Steven O'Donnell

by Hartmut Scherer -
Steven O'Donnell, you can change the question marks to stars in the "fields" tab. Change ratings there.

With kind regards,

Hartmut

by Julian Ridden -
A second example of databases in use is by one of our Geography teachers.

Students were issued a GPS device and asked to locate and geotag certain locations. At each location there were to collect certain data (long/lat, temp, elevation) as well as take a picture.

the great thing about the database is it can link the long/lat field to tools like Google Maps and Google earth. in this case we used Google maps. The teacher could click on the link to determine if in fact the students photo matched the co-ords to double check their work.
Attachment geotag.jpg
Average of ratings: Useful (3)

by Julian Ridden -
One last example, but no screenshots of this one.

Last year I created a database for our Year 12 students to allow for them to share their study notes with each other. It was set up so they could only view other students notes once they had uploaded at least 2 of their own. this was immensely successfully and ended up with about 40+ files collected.

The students could upload, categorize and summarize their study notes while finally attaching the file itself. With our year 12's offsite for some time before the HSC kicks in, this still allowed them to network and share information with each other while offsite.

by Lesli Smith -
Hi, Julian. Thanks so much for posting these examples! It's nice to know that the database entries can look so snazzy as my attempts at creating formats have been rather drab.

I also like this last idea for sharing study notes. I used the wiki, pre-database Moodle versions, to accomplish a similar objective, but the ability of the database to keep notes hidden until one has contributed is brilliant! Thanks again.

by Paul Ganderton -
Hi Julian,

Great examples. I'm interested in this database for study notes. My students swap via fora at the moment but the idea of post-before-you-receive is a valuable incentive. any chance you can give more details/preset?

Thanks.
In reply to Paul Ganderton

by Edward Gash -

Hello.

For a number of reasons, it appears to be difficult to obtain a complete stellar course as a demo. In order to allow people to examine what an actual functioning course feels like, maybe it would be good to have a featured moodle site of the week.  People could offer guest access to their site for a week, publised though moodle.org.  It would be great to see how others do things, and may provide valuable feedback to the creator of the site.  Just a thought.

Cheers.

by Itamar Tzadok -
I don't know if that's a good example but it is an example nonetheless. smile The site is not open to the world so here are images of four different displays of the list view of one of the databases I use. This is a database of natural deduction problems. The initial view is the top-right. The list is on the right side and on the left side there is a (resized) HTML block in which a tailored editor may be opened for practicing the problem or watching a possible solution (there may be multiple possible solutions). The big hand icon opens the editor in practice mode (bottom-right). The internet camera icon (that's what it is) opens the editor in play mode (top-left). When in play mode the solution can be played in different speeds, paused (bottom-left) played forward or backward. The callout displays explanations of the strategies used in the solution. The solution is recorded and can be edited in the entry page of the database. I hope all that makes some sense. smile

Attachment de.jpg

by Paula Clough -

I have a Biome unit that utilizes group work and some constructivist activities... I will have to double check all the pictures and handouts and make sure that they can be posted on an internet site... it might take a few weeks, if you are still interested.  I have a copy posted in our district site as a sample, so I can send it to you without students.

Paula Clough cool

by J McAlea -

Hi Martin

Do not expect to killed in the rush and for me the comments by Jim Mc Cluskey on this link.. say it all. 
A new user visiting the Moodle.org site will in the first instance be looking for example course content to give them ideas on layout etc. They will be sadly disappointed. On my first visit, I hoped the Moodle sites link/ 'cool sites' would be useful to browse. Unfortunately, most seem to get the accredited as 'cool sites' on front page presentation with access blocked to guest visitors. An Arts teacher, for example, looking for a Digital camera course would soon get frustrated and lose interest. Would it be possible to address this through using the front page forum to flag example courses by subject linking directly to the school site? For non savy IT users, this needs to strongly flagged. 

As for an example site, please feel free to visit the Preston [Lancashire/UK] on this link..  Many of the courses (not Stellar examples) are open to view and some have zip files to allow transfer. I welcome comments and suggestions!

Regards

by Maryel Mendiola -
Hi all smile

I want to know if language is a limitations for this courses you are looking for

Mine are totally in Spanish, and I like share with moodle.org some of them.

You can see an example at

http://culhuacan.mmendiola.net/course/view.php?id=7

user: teacher

pass: teacher

(the picture of this user is a litlle red apple)

this course is a ptototype, if you like it I can share a backup

Best Regards,
Maryel from Mexico
In reply to Maryel Mendiola

by Jeff Forssell -
Hi

The login doesn't seem to work. I was also wondering if I would have (editing) teachers rights if it had.

That might be a bad (though generous) idea. An alternative might be to just give us a student login but have a link to a backup (without users) of the course that could be downloaded.

by Fred Quay -
Hi,

The login is OK, and the generic "teacher"is enrolled as a student.

જઃ Looking for some stellar examples of Moodle courses

by Dr. Amitkumar Mali -
sir, as a part of my Ph.D. study, i developed two courses
one which include chemistry and the other biology
all the courses are in Gujarati language
both include some moodle features like chat, forums, quizes, online and offline assignments, resources ( text page, lable, web pages, links to web pages)
i don't think these courses are "stellar" but they are simple enough to understand basic moodle functions.

do u have any plan to provide demo course in languages other than english?
In reply to Dr. Amitkumar Mali

Re: જઃ Looking for some stellar examples of Moodle courses

by Sandy Hirtz -
We are offering a free and open Moodle Meet or "Professional Learning Potluck" September 17 - 24, 2010. The moodle meet is an opportunity to share examples of moodle 'best practice' courses. Complete the online registration form to join us.
In reply to Sandy Hirtz

by Sandy Hirtz -
Our free and open Moodle Meet or Professional Learning Potluck is less than a month away. It will be held from September 17 to 24.

The purpose of Moodle’rrific is to bring educators together from across the world to ‘show and tell’ their successful online practices, innovative uses of technology and personalized teaching ideas. It will remain open at the end of the week as an archive.

Some of our partners include: BC Ministry of Education, Commonwealth of Learning, CUE BC and <a href="http://ceetbc.ning.com/">CEET.</a>

The moodle meet will ensure that educators have access to a network of colleagues to help one another be the best they can be as online or mixed-mode educators and will ensure that students have access to engaging and effective online courses.

Have an effective online teaching idea to share as an elluminate presentation during our Moodle'riffic week? Want to help facilitate the event? Contact <a href="http://ceetbc.ning.com/profile/VirginiaRego?xg_source=profiles_memberList">Virginia</a> or <a href="http://ceetbc.ning.com/profile/SandyHirtz">Sandy.</a>

To participate, complete our <a href="https://spreadsheets.google.com/viewform?formkey=dDdoRG5tZlBPY2xmOWZIZklfY2U0Mnc6MA" target="_blank">online registration form.</a> We will send you a reminder and further information closer to the course start date.

Please invite colleagues and share this information with all your contacts.
In reply to Sandy Hirtz

Free and open MoodleMeet or Professional Learning Potluck

by Glenys Hanson -
Hi Sandy,

The New Era Teaching and Learning Moodle Meet looks very interesting. I've signed up.

Is there somewhere we can read more details of the content?

Cheers,
Glenys

PS Did you know you can use the link icon to add links in a more user friendly way?
Attachment 2010-08-31_12.37.15.png
In reply to Sandy Hirtz

by ian lake -

I'd like to be able to register for this and see some more detail, but our innovation prevention department won't allow access to the evil Google empire.

Ian

In reply to ian lake

by Sandy Hirtz -

We have hosted seven Moodle Meets to date averaging 160 participants from locations world wide.  The courses are all available as an archive. Guest access is enabled if you want to browse the resources and ideas in the forums.

by Bernat Martinez -

Hi,

We at ITEMS EU  project ( itemspro.net/moodle) have been developing in the last 2 years Moodle modules (2 month teaching approx.) for maths and science in secondary school. During the building proccess they have been piloted at some extent in different countries, and now they can be visited as a guest and/or downloaded creating an account, instructions for course transfer to other platforms are provided (....hope they are clear enough).

I'm not pretty sure if they are "stellar", but I can say there is one about stars and astronomy  wink

Waiting for your feedback

Bernat

Attachment Screen shot 2011-02-11 at 20.00.48.png
In reply to Bernat Martinez

by Glenys Hanson -

Hi Bernat,

I just had a quick look at the first Astronomy course and found it great fun to try drawing a horizon, the Big Dipper, etc. But how do you do it? What's the software behind it? It's amazing!

Very impressed!

Glenys

by Bernat Martinez -

Hi Glenys,

Thanks for your feedback,

The software is just FLASH. At ITEMS project we have investigated how to design highly interactive simulations in order to increase students motivation and understanding, and it works!!

On the other hand, all the animations have the text in a xml file so they can be translated without any knowledge of flash

Bernat

by Johann So -

I am looking for good examples for myself and my colleagues, but most courses a "guest" could access I came acrossed are rich in content, and then I found this discussion. So after 3 years, do you find the "stellar examples", Martin? Or anyone could share?

In reply to Johann So

by varun pandey -

HI , Our requirement that we want to publish course as a three level using moodle 1.9 Category --> Course(Separate enrollment) --> Module(Separate enrollment) I am confuse suggest me.

In reply to varun pandey

by Glenys Hanson -

Hi Varun,

It's not clear to me what you want to do. Could you explain in more detail?

Cheers,

Glenys

by Don Brown -

Hi Martin, First I have to say it was great to meet you at MoodleMoot West Coast last July.

Second, I have never found an exemplary course...lots of bits...and I am now working with a few other teachers to create a great cc licensed course called Project Based Statistics for high school.

We are going to teach it one cycle before releasing it, but it should be ready in July.  It's based in part on a cc licensed textbook from Saylor.Org by Barbara Illowsky and Susan Dean’s called Collaborative Statistics.  It uses video from Khan and locally-produced video, forums, one alternative pathway (project or standard in each block).  I will be happy to send a copy as soon as we can!

Don W. Brown, D.Ed.

aka drsgtbrown

In reply to Don Brown

by Monique Gaudin -
Hello Mr Brown Let me know how it works out. I would be interested in giving it a go for our independent study HS students. The district is right now working on a collaboration with bringing Blackboard as our sole choice of LMS, so anything I can add to Moodle would give me leverage in keeping our current moodle campus. Thanks Monique Gaudin, M.S., ITDE