not going to next question after max number attempts

not going to next question after max number attempts

by John Roberts -
Number of replies: 3
I had my first go at a lesson with 4 questions and 2 attempts allowed at each.  It was ok if the answer was right - went to next question, and was ok if answer was wrong - returned to same question, but when 2 attempts were both wrong it asked student to "continue" and when this button was pressed it went to a previous question or the end of lesson page instead of the next question.  What setting is wrong?
Average of ratings: -
In reply to John Roberts

Re: not going to next question after max number attempts

by Chris Collman -
Picture of Documentation writers
Hi John,
As you know, after the max attempts has been reached, the lesson should continue to the next page in the logical order.

I have had the problem you describe happen. I was playing with clusters and with end of branch pages. The seemingly arbritary jump to either a previous question or the end of lesson can be logically explained in the context of a cluster or perhaps a branch. These are special navigation pages in Lesson.

Are you using any of these special pages in your lesson? And of course, which version of Moodle are you using.

Best Chris

In reply to Chris Collman

by John Roberts -

I'm using version 1.6 Chris. There are no special pages.  I think it was because my pages were in the wrong order.  There appears to be no option though to specify which page the lesson goes to after the maximum number of attempts is reached, other than to order it as the page below. 

Regards

John

In reply to John Roberts

by Chris Collman -
Picture of Documentation writers
Hi John,
The "logical order" of pages can be important and sometimes requires as much thought as the " navigational order".

You might want to consider grouping question pages. There are two types: a classic branch and a cluster. For example placing a Branch page before a group of question pages and placing an End of Branch page at the end adds an interesting twist to the concept of logical order when max attempts is set. Look closely at the jump settings.

A word of caution. Set up a simple lesson to test your understanding of the classic branch and cluster concepts. I have spent hours (because my memory is in direct proportion to the length of the hair on top of my head) playing with these special navigational pages.

In Tracker, I have created a 4 Lesson introduction course to Lesson for 1.9 that has lesson segments on a classic branch and another on a cluster. It is possible to download this "course" and restore it to demo.moodle.org which is 1.9 . Part of my intent in these lessons is to create simple pages that then can be changed by teachers who want to experiment with a no frills model (Well I did have a little fun with graphics). The concept of a cluster and classic branch has not changed between 1.6 and 1.9 but I am not sure you can restore the "course" to 1.6.

Hope this gives you some options.
Chris