no access to site administration

no access to site administration

by Lev Abramov -
Number of replies: 5

Dear all -

I have just reinstalled an old Modle course which had been lost due to a har disk crash. I only had a database created in version 1.6; so I decided to do a stepwise install/upgrade.

At Stage One, I installed a clean 1.7 on a blank database; then edited the config.php file to point it to the old existing database; all went seemingly well, the site is up, the course is accessible, and I can log in as Admin.

I also performed the DB conversion to Unicode. Still can access the site, the course is displayed correctly after the encoding change (strange, eh? big grin ).

However, I can neither continue the upgrade to 1.9 nor export a course backup: there is no link to the Site Administration. In other words, I probably see the site in normal user view, not in admin view.

I used the change admin password script successfully; relogged; still no link to Admin...

I would greatly appreciate getting ideas on how to continue the upgrade and/or access the admin interface. Thanx in advance.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Lev Abramov

Re: no access to site administration

by Peter Mott -
You say you "used the change admin password script successfully". Can you tell me where that script is found?

Thanks
In reply to Peter Mott

by Lev Abramov -

the passchange.php script is in the root directory. I have access to the website via the cPanel of the hosting, including PHPMyAdmin.

I have everything smile - except for the Admin... link in the Modle interface sad

L

In reply to Lev Abramov

by John Ryan -
Have you tried to type in the URL of the admin page.

On 1.8.4 that's http://<your site>/admin/index.php
In reply to John Ryan

by Lev Abramov -
Now that you suggested it, I've given it a try. smile

A curious result:
================================================================
WARNING!!! The code you are using is OLDER than the version that made these databases!
Version mismatch: assignment can't downgrade 2007020200 -> 2006092800 !
================================================================

What is your take of it? I am not sure I have any assignments there at all - and the dates 2007020200 and 2006092800 do not translate into versions for me.

Help will be greatly appreciated.

L
In reply to Lev Abramov

by Jonathan Moore -
I would suggest starting over with a matching 1.6 code base. Recover the site as a separate step from the upgrade. Right now you have two possible causes, the backup isn't good, or the upgrade didn't work. Once it is working in 1.6 then try the 1.7 upgrade again.

Based on the error message below your system thinks that you are trying to load an older version of the assignment module than what is tagged in the Moodle database. You may be able to fix that by replacing the assignment folder under mod with a newer copy, say from the nightly build of 1.7, but my best advice would be to start fresh at 1.6 and then move forward.