Do users need e-mail addresses?

Do users need e-mail addresses?

by Melissa Benson -
Number of replies: 6
When creating users (admins, teachers, students, etc) do they NEED an e-mail address to create the user accounts?

From what I have found out you can (I think) create users by manually going into Moodle and creating them one by one or a bulk upload with a .csv file OR you can somehow create users with Active Directory or LDAP (I do not have knowledge of hwo to do this).

So do users NEED an email address to create them in both of the above ways? Thanks!
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Melissa Benson

Re: Do users need e-mail addresses?

by Carl Keller -
Hi Melissa:

Users don't need a real email address to create an account. They only need an email address. If your students don't have email, you could have them use example.com, example.net, or example.org. Then you can bulk confirm them in v1.9.

BTW… Be sure to choose “This email address is disabled” for the “Email activated” field in each student's account profile. This way Moodle will ignore the fake email address when it sends automatic mailings later.

I don't know if this is an approve method, but it works!

You could also try using one of the free email providers, like ePals, that specialize in student email. Then your students will have email, and you will have the full functionality of Moodle.

Hope this helps.
In reply to Carl Keller

by Melissa Benson -
So if we use a fake e-mail, we have to still "confirm" that their account was created? How is this done?

Is there anyone who has made user accounts in their district by using LDAP or Active Directory and not the manual way?

Thanks.

by Carl Keller -
You must confirm students if you have them use fake email addresses because they will be unable to confirm their account themselves using the email-based self-registration method because their email is fake (hope that makes sense). They can create the account themselves, but they won't be able to use email to confirm it so you have to do it manually. You can bulk confirm students under Administration/Users/Accounts/Bulk User Actions.
In reply to Carl Keller

by Jonathan Moore -
You can alternatively use the no verification self registration plugin. It does leave you potentially open to "spammers" making fake accounts on your system, but doesn't require confirmation.

by Jonathan Moore -
LDAP will work just fine for this scenario. What I normally do for districts that do not have student email addresses, but want to use LDAP, is to set the email address mapping to another field. This suppresses the profile edit screen from opening up on first login for the student. For example I will often use the cn (common name) in required email field as a work around.

If you are using "fake" addresses, I also recommend modifying the database schema for the mdl_user table. There is a field called emailstop. If you set the default to 1, then users will automatically be generated with email notifications off.

by Ken Wilson -

In addition to Carl's suggestions, you could try changing the code so that the requirement to enter email addresses is taken out. An example is shown here.