Transfering quizzes from another LMS to Moodle

Transfering quizzes from another LMS to Moodle

by Mike Brinkman -
Number of replies: 8

My school is changing from another LMS over to Moodle. While it has been very smooth so far, one of the big challenges awaiting us is converting quizzes from the old LMS in order to upload them into their Moodle courses.

The quizzes I'm talking about are custom made quizzes by instructors, not testbanks from publishers. Quizzes in the old LMS are in this format:

mc:Who was the first President of the United States?###1#^
a. Abraham Lincoln#^
b. Thomas Jefferson#^
x-c. George Washington#^
d. Benjamin Franklin#^

or

tf:George Washington was the first President of the United States###2#^
true#^

As you can see, ###x refers to the question #, where x is an integer, #^ is the end of line character & x- is the mark for the correct answer for Multiple Choice questions. True/False questions are similar.

My question is, what's going to be the easiest way to convert these to another format? I don't know PHP very well. I do know how to use GREP pretty well, so I could use a text editor, but this would only work for a test by test basis, which would take almost as long as cleaning up the tests by hand. Any help suggestions be appreciated!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mike Brinkman

Re: Transfering quizzes from another LMS to Moodle

by Nate Hartmann -
Are you converting from "Ucompass Educator"? My school is working to move from Educator to Moodle right now, and we're currently developing a perl script to convert Educator's "Quizzes" and "Exams" into Moodle "Questions" and "Quizzes".
In reply to Nate Hartmann

by Mike Brinkman -
Yes, that's exactly the case.  How long do you think it would be before you guys have such a program available?

by Nate Hartmann -
We've got a working prototype, we will hopefully have a usable product in about a week. Its current incarnation is a CGI-PERL script which takes an uploaded Educator exam text file, and produces a zip of GIFT questions, which can then be imported into Moodle. More info to come...

by Sheryl Woods -
Hello,

I, too, am interested in the application to upload Educator exams to Moodle.

I noticed the last post was in 2008. Can you provide additional information on the product you were working on?

In reply to Sheryl Woods

by Nate Hartmann -
Hi Sheryl,
I've sent information about the status of that project to your ECAP email address.
-Nate

by Bradley Moore -
I know it has been a number of months since this was active but I was hoping the application tool was still around. If so, I would like to get it if possible.  Thanks!

by Nate Hartmann -
I've got a partially functional version of this tool, for anyone who's interested.

by Dennis Schultz -
We too have been asked to begin to move content from Ucompass, which we have used for most of 7 years into Moodle. Have you now had opportunity to use the tool that has been talked about in this forum?