TestGen to Moodle - Import Question

TestGen to Moodle - Import Question

by Crystal Kiekel -
Number of replies: 16
After searching the forums and testing the process, I still can't seem to figure out where my process of converting TestGen quizzes into Moodle is going awry. I know it's bad form to post the same question in more than one thread, but someone in another thread suggested that perhaps you guys could help me out, so here goes:

Here's what I'm doing to import quizzes to Moodle v1.6+ from TestGen v6. Please tell me what I'm missing or doing incorrectly:

1. Create a quiz of 5 questions
2. Export quiz in a Blackboard format
3. Extract the resulting .zip file
4. Import the resulting .dat file into Moodle using BB format

When I do this, I get a message that says I have successfully imported 1 question. After several trial runs, I've discovered that it only imports the first question of each quiz I create. sad

Am I doing something wrong? Is there a better format with which to export questions? All suggestions would be appreciated. big grin

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Crystal Kiekel

Re: TestGen to Moodle - Import Question

by Matt Campbell -
I just started looking at some TestGen tests for an instructor today and it's driving me crazy.  I'm having my best results by exporting it into WebCT3, but that's not perfect.  I'm heading into a training session now but will work on it more tomorrow.

Thanks,
Matt
In reply to Matt Campbell

by Mary Parke -
Hi Matt,

We fixed it using this process (on a mac, but shouldn't be different on a pc) which sounds similar to the parent post but we didn't have any problems with the question import:

In TestGen (Prentice Hall):

1. Create a quiz.
2. EXPORT (not Save) the quiz as a Blackboard File.
3. This will create a .zip folder - best to save it to your desktop
for easy finding in Moodle.
4. Unzip the folder on your desktop.

In Your Course in Moodle:

1. Create your Quiz
2. In the 1st window (preferences) choose your settings and hit "Continue"
3. In the next window - under "Create New Question" click on the
"Import Questions from File" link
4. In this next window - choose "Blackboard" (not Blackboard 6+)
format from the drop down menu.
5. Click on "Browse" and go INTO the unzipped folder and choose the
file ending in ".dat"
6. Upload the file.

Your questions should then appear in Moodle.

Note: We're using Moodle v 1.6.2.
In reply to Matt Campbell

by Thomas Haynes -
I struggled with TestGen last year, and here is the solution I used to import some banks of questions then.

http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=45155

Maybe this will help...
In reply to Thomas Haynes

by JH Cleary -

Tom has been very helpful to me in this same process.  We're on the right track following his advice, but we are still struggling with how to get the graphics (as jpg files) into the questions without having the teacher have to access the server and upload the files each time.

We are looking for a process that will allow each of our faculty to create a test using TestGen, export it in Blackboard format, then import it into the Moodle Quiz module for everyone to use.

Any suggestions on a process for getting the graphics into the Moodel quizzes without having to log in to the server each time?

TestGen Version 7.3

Moodle Version (updated last week, I believe it is 1.7)

In reply to JH Cleary

by Bill Click -

What I ended up doing to get around the graphic in a question problem was to create a meta course for that subject.  I then created the master question categories and questions from within that meta course.  All pictures are in the files of that meta course.  I then make that meta course available to students, but I "gray-out" the quizzes.  Then I assign this meta course to the appropriate teacher/courses.  Teachers then create their own links to the quizzes that way they only see their results and the graphics within the questions work since the file in the meta course is available to students.  The only bad thing is that students see the title "History 6 Meta" as a course they are enrolled in.  If theyclick on it they see nothing since it is all "grayed-out".

Works for us.

In reply to JH Cleary

by Thomas Haynes -

I'll tell you my own solution to this question.

We decided (last week) that it was important for the users to be able to import questions without server admin intervention to move the graphics.

I set up a test bank class for each of the departments that wants to import TestGen questions. I wrote a script to run that will copy the folder from the course files to the correct place on the server.

Teachers upload the zipped BlackBoard export to the course files and unzip. The ppg folder is created. They then import the questions, and the script runs every 15 minutes to copy the files where they need to be.

This seems to work well for us.

Regards...   Tom

by david alexander -
Crystal, did you get an answer to this.  I am a believer in Moodle but the quiz section tests my dedication.  I have the exact same problem.  If you have an answer please let me know.  dalexander@ccis.edu or post it here for others to see.  thanks

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Please could you attach an example of one of your exported Blackboard files. I'm happy to take a look.
In reply to Howard Miller

by Crystal Kiekel -
Howard rocks! Here's an example of a zip file I just created, exported, extracted, and from which I imported the dat file to Moodle. Again, it only imported the first question.
-Crystal smile

In reply to Howard Miller

by Thomas Haynes -
Howard...

Here is one of mine for reference. To keep it within upload limits for the forum, it only has two questions.

Regards... Tom

by joseph campbell -

I have same problem after the administrator upgraded moodle thursday nov 2. I did no have this problem previously. I go through the same process. Export test to Desktop in blackboard. split file into dat.file and ? Move dat.file to desktop.

Go to moodle- click on activity and then quiz. fill in name of quiz, dates, attempts etc. Save, then next page update categories, put new quiz in. In previoius version you then clicked on continue, This version does not give that option so I have to click on new test under categories. It takes me to create or import. I click import and then blackboard, there is now a third option i.e if grade does not equal ... error. dont know what this is about. Then upload file etc. The result only one question repeated 14, or 20 times, depending on the number of questions in the testgen quiz

Joseph

by Fiona Coulson -

I had the same problems. Managed to export Blackboard files, unzip and then upload dat file. The problem was that the images did not upload with the questions. I was given an alternative solution and this worked for me.

(1) create a test in TestGen

(2) export test as a Blackboard file

(3) In Moodle, import test as examview_blackboard file

All questions and images upload together

In reply to Fiona Coulson

by Andy Freed -
Fiona, When I try the same, it fails. It won't recognize the zip file, or if I unzip the package, it won't recognize the .dat or .xml file for import either. Do you know if your Moodle installation has any modules to assist in this?