THE MESSAGE DOES NOT APPEAR IN THE FORUM

THE MESSAGE DOES NOT APPEAR IN THE FORUM

by Roberto Azar -
Number of replies: 10
Moodle 1.5.2

Hi !
The post at the forums in frontpage and in the courses are uploaded, the participants receive the message BUT THE MESSAGE DOES NOT APPEAR IN THE FORUM, as you can see always you read
(No news has been posted yet)

The forums are created: ¨standard¨, "read tracking: yes", "no groups" and "Visible: Show"

In my first courses, when you clicked on "forum" appeared the list of messages and discussions.....

My problem is urgent because a new couse is beginning in a few days....

Thanks in advance

Roberto
www.ebaclinics.com
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Roberto Azar

Re: THE MESSAGE DOES NOT APPEAR IN THE FORUM

by Mauno Korpelainen -

Is it possible to upgrade your moodle 1.5.2 to version moodle 1.6.6+ ?

I may be wrong but there have been some issues with php versions >=5.2 and your server has version PHP 5.2.4

If mysql is version >= 4.1.16 upgrading moodle to 1.6.6+ should solve your problem...

http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=89713

If it is not possible to upgrade your moodle right now you could ask from your host if it is possible to switch php to version < 5.2.

In reply to Mauno Korpelainen

by Roberto Azar -
I don't know if I am able to do the upgrade, all what I do is with fantastico...
Perhaps it is preferable to donwnload the last moodle version, and send the course there? What do you think ?
In reply to Roberto Azar

by Mauno Korpelainen -

Upgrading with Fantastico may give "surprises" so you could upload a 1.6.6+ package from http://download.moodle.org/ and try install it without Fantastico to different folder than fantastico install - different name of folder for files of moodle, moodledata (remember to give at least read and write permissions for moodledata) and database (or prefix other than mdl_ if you have only one database). Then restore courses from old fantastico moodle (course backup-restore). You may rename folders later and change paths in config.php if the new version is working ok .

It may be as well possible to upgrade fantastico moodle without any errors but take a backup of of database and moodledata folder before upgrading. If you want to (and can) go to moodle 1.8 or 1.9 you need to migrate database in moodle 1.6 first so installing moodle 1.6.6+ is the easiest solution.

by Roberto Azar -
Hi Mauno !
Thanks a lot for your quick answers and help.
I didn't wanted to say to upgrade with fantastico, because I know it is impossible to go directly from 1.5. to 1.8.
What I intended to say, is to download a new 1.8 with fantastico ( all another possibility is out of my knowledge ) and begin the new couse directly and cleanly from there...
I know to give courses about basketball statistics.... ONLY !
What I haven't tried yet is to ask from the server the change of php versio...

Roberto
ebaclinics.com
In reply to Roberto Azar

by Mauno Korpelainen -

That php version change would be the easiest solution - many hosts can do it with one click. Still sooner or later you may need to upgrade...

If you backup your courses with course backup (remember to backup both front page and courses) and restore them as new courses to a new moodle 1.8 then moodle can do the migration during restore process but before this can be done database should be changed to default charset utf8 and default collation unicode. It's not a huge operation but if you are uncertain try the php version change first. Read for example http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=88889 (it should not be possible to install moodle 1.8 if database is not default charset utf8 and default collation unicode but many fantastico installs/upgradings have somehow managed to do this with fatal result...)

In reply to Roberto Azar

by Steve Hyndman -

Mauno's suggestion to upgrade to 1.6.6 is good, but with the problems you have been reporting, I would not going further than that. If you want to manually upgrade your site to 1.6.6 and you have Cpanel access then the following video may help you. It is old and shows how to use Cpanel to upgrade from 1.6.1 to 1.6.2, but the same process will work going from 1.5 to 1.6.6. The one thing I would suggest you do different is login and rename your current moodle directory to something else FIRST before doing anything else...for example, if it is currently called "moodle" then rename it to "moodleBAK". That will essentailly take it "offline" and prevent you from overwriting it when you extract the new moodle source code. Watch the movie all the way through and then give it a try.

Once you have completed the upgrade, then you can run the migration script to update the database if you like, but you don't need to do this unless you are planning to upgrade past 1.6.

Also, once you do this, then you CAN NOT use fantastico to upgrade this install again. You will need to do upgrades manually in the future.

Note: I probably won't be popping back in here to help solve problems, so use at your own risk.

http://www.kentuckyclassroom.com/moodle_videos/upgrading_moodle/upgrading_moodle.html

Steve

EDIT: One other thought....when you install with fantastico, the moodledata directory is created in public_html. So, if that is inside your old moodle directory, then you will need to move it to the same location in your new (1.6.6) directory. If it's on the same level as your old (1.5) install, then you shouldn't need to do anything with it....unless, of course, you want to move it outside public_html (fantastico doesn't put it there, but that's where it should be), then you will need to move it and edit the corresponding line in your config.php file.

In reply to Steve Hyndman

by Mauno Korpelainen -
Perfect Steve!

by Roberto Azar -
Thanks a lot Steve and Mauno for your HELP !
But in spite of this great help I am going on to be a newbe...

It is not more simple for me to download 1.8 ( with fantastico .... ) and begin the new course clean and right with the new version ?

Only a question....

Roberto
ebaclinics.com

PD- Meanwhile I complete the course, is there a possibility to link from 1.8 to certain material of the 1.5 (example: the glossary) ?

In reply to Roberto Azar

by Mauno Korpelainen -

There are many ways to use one or several versions of moodle - you may also export and import material like glossaries (or backup/restore some part of course/whole course) or use links like http://www.ebaclinics.com/mod/glossary/view.php?id=19 if you want to keep both versions...

by Roberto Azar -
Changing php version is impossible according to my server, so it is my only possibility..

Great help ! Thanks for all !

Roberto
ebaclinics.com