Least wanted new quiz feature

Least wanted new quiz feature

by Howard Miller -
Number of replies: 8
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Hi,

Just for info I am well on the way to completing the framework for Exporting quiz categories (the new feature nobody wants smile ). Most of it is in place and I am currently working through the first export format - GIFT format (seemed easiest).

I will make this available as soon as GIFT format is working.

The plan was to get familiar with import/export and then I'll do what I said I would about a year ago and try the QTI format.

I asked this before too. If anybody has an lengthy/comprehensive QTI sample XML data it would be appreciated for testing when I get to it.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Howard Miller

Re: Least wanted new quiz feature

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Good on you Howard!!
PPCLI-thumbs%20up.jpg
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
The framework for this is now in place. I have only implemented exporting of Gift format and that hasn't been exhaustively tested. There are a couple of new functions in lib.php, an new routine export.php (a mirror of import.php), the rest is done with format.php creating new class methods to be extended in the individual import/export format subdirectories.

Actually really wanted new quiz feature

by Josep M. Fontana -
Howare, I didn't understand your last posting. Do you mean that the framework to implement Gert's proposal is already in place? I think what Gert is suggesting would be a really great addition to the quiz module. I've been dreaming about that for quite a while. This would be great as a tool for self-study: the student would do some quizes and be addressed automatically to those lessons, activities, independent readings or whatever that would help him/her overcome the problematic areas s/he is encountering.

What I'm not very clear about is how your import/export feature can actually help implement Gert's idea. Actually, when I read Gert's posting I didn't really understand how it pertained to this thread as it had to do with quiz design but not necessarily with import/export. At any rate, I for one would like to see Gert's suggestions finding their way into Moodle, whether the discussion is part of this thread or not.

Josep M.
In reply to Josep M. Fontana

Re: Actually really wanted new quiz feature

by Timothy Takemoto -

Dear Josheph M. Fontana,

Gert's suggestion was connected to Howard's only because it is another "least wanted" idea. In fact however the two have even less in common since Howard's GIFT format exportation, and Gert's programmed learning are both wanted features.

Howard is however thinking of extending the exportation functionality to include the exportation of QTI but due to the complexity of the latter, that may take some time. However, i note that in 1.5 development there is not only GIFT but every other format under the sun. Can this be for real?
QTI too

To achieve the sort of functionality that Gert mentions (but only in part) you may consider the lesson module, whichi allows branchng dependendent upon the answer to any particular question, or Bernard's activity linking hack which can allow branch depending upon a mark in a test.

I am very pleased that Howard made GIFT exportation possible since, I create quizzes using GIFT. Enevitably I find some mistakes when they are run. As a result I edit the quiz using the GUI. And then I would like to be able to download the corrected GIFT so that I can place it somewhere else in a different course. And I feel a sese of completion to have copies of the GIFTs behind the quizes in each of my course topics. Is this retentive?

Tim

In reply to Timothy Takemoto

Re: Actually really wanted new quiz feature

by Josep M. Fontana -
Thanks for your clarification Tim. Now I am no longer confused.
I'd still would like to support Gert's suggestion. You are right in that the Lesson module has some of the functionality that Gert would like to see in the quiz module, yet the way I see the two things are rather different. As you say, with the Lesson module you might go to one place or another depending on your answer but this is usually to another section of the lesson or to another question. What I would like to see is the possibility of an "intelligent" quiz: depending on what quantities or types of errors the user makes, s/he could be addressed to another quiz or list of quizzes (more basic ones where s/he can further practice a particular skill, let's say a particular type of prepositions or verbs if we are dealing with language teaching) or to a particular lesson or lecture where the problem area is discussed. The quantitative aspect (the ability to set up a particular numeric threshold) is the main difference between the two.

Josep M.

by Ger Tielemans -

During a discussion today on a SIX/NL conference about "QTI and question exchange between platforms", I came up with another least wanted quizz option:

• When I do a test, I get feedback on every single question, nice.
  • But
    • IF I create a category  with questions about the same sub-topic
    • AND these questions are in the same test,
    • THEN it would be nice to have a category feedback like:
      • "You have more then ... questions about subject.... answered not very well, so please go back to chapter ... in the BOOK MODULE ..."
  • easiest place to implement it is in the random question modul?
  • As teacher I fill in the changed random question form:
    • take .... (5?) questions from category ...
    • if more then  .. out of ... is wrong
    • then print.as feedback: ...

Re: Least wanted new quiz feature - I want something else (least??)

by D.I. von Briesen -
I've looked around and I'm not finding much, so here goes with a related question. I've been using the GIFT format (thanks Tim!!) but still have to do rather tedious finds and replaces in word to get my files cleaned up for import. This is especially tricky with html and java where I have to replace all the curly braces, equals signs, and such with their html codes. Then I have to go in and remove all the letters in front of the answers, and the numbers in front of the questions.

Is there anywhere I can add this to the "wishlist" for the GIFT format?
I've added a copy of a recent java test I had to generate, which took some work.  I use finds/replaces of various combinations to clean it up... and then try and get a system I can apply to the remaining 15 chapters...

Reading some other posts kind of suggests that I should be looking at the AIKEN format, but I was so excited about GIFT I had never really looked at AIKEN.
Any ideas or suggestions?

d.i.
ps- I didn't know they had snow down under....

by Hannes Gassert -
What's the current status of IMS/QTI export?
Just asking because it looks like the corresponding file looks rather empty since 2003/12/12 (according to CVS), and since we're about to start working on a QTI interface to Moodle (for use with some client-side software), we could as well do full export, too..

Thanks for letting me know,
Hannes