Issue 107 - Record a video showing how to give an inspector permission to view all courses

Issue 107 - Record a video showing how to give an inspector permission to view all courses

by David Mestel -
Number of replies: 9
I haven't yet managed to convert it to a video format to convert to YouTube, but a shockwave flash file can be found at http://www.mediafire.com/?exym5tm3xte ; any comments or help with converting would be much appreciated smile

David
Average of ratings: -
In reply to David Mestel

Re: Issue 107 - Record a video showing how to give an inspector permission to view all courses

by Rowan Chakoumakos -
Hello David,

Welcome to Moodle and GHOP!!

I am Rowan, also a student participating in GHOP. When I was converting your .swf to .avi for YouTube upload, I noticed that the frames per second was 20. No matter what setting you use to upload to YouTube, there will be some quality loss. However, the following are optimal setting 30 frames per second and 640 X 320.

I have converted your .swf to .avi for you so that you can upload it to YouTube big grin
www.moodletutorials.org/inspector-crop-1.avi

Good Luck,
Rowan
In reply to Rowan Chakoumakos

Re: Issue 107 - Record a video showing how to give an inspector permission to view all courses

by David Mestel -
I am eternally grateful smile

What piece of software did you use to convert it? I tried several, and none of them worked at all well.

The YouTube link is

Thanks,

David
In reply to David Mestel

by Rowan Chakoumakos -
David,

Your welcome big grin!

I used SoThink SWF to Video Converter. Another method that I had used previously was using a screen capture tool and essentially watching the flash video.

Good luck,
Rowan
In reply to David Mestel

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi David,

Thanks for your video on the inspector role. I thought that the content of the video was great, and I especially liked the way you started off by showing an inspector attempting to access a course. approve

Unfortunately though, it was almost impossible to hear the audio in the YouTube version of your video and the text was very hard to read. I assume you read the paragraph on resolution in the guidelines for creating Moodle tutorial videos, also perhaps you could follow Rowan's advice on optimal settings.

Apart from improving the audio and resolution, the only other suggestion for improvement that I can offer is to mention how to hide the inspector role user, so that they're not listed as a course participant.

Best wishes and thanks for participating in GHOP. smile
In reply to Helen Foster

by David Mestel -
Done smile

I added the extra content, and used Rowan's latter method to convert the video. The text is a tiny bit blurry, but is readable (I think), and the audio is a lot louder.

The new link is

Thanks to Rowan for his advice, and to you for your comments smile

David
In reply to David Mestel

by Rowan Chakoumakos -
Hello David,

Your welcome David, anytime!
big grin I have another helpful hint!!!

Want higher quality?
Try MoodleTutorials.org wink

Have a great day,
Rowan
In reply to David Mestel

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi David,

Thanks for improving your video. The content is excellent and, whilst the audio quality isn't great, I can hear it perfectly now! approve It would be nice if you have chance to follow Rowan's helpful hint and upload the higher quality version of your video to MoodleTutorials.org.

I have added a link to your video in the inspector role documentation.

I'm also going to move this discussion to the roles and capabilities forum so that more people know about your video.

Well done for successfully completing GHOP task 107. smile
In reply to Helen Foster

by David Mestel -
Done. It's at http://www.moodletutorials.org/view_video.php?viewkey=2936a96d3c8bd1f8f2ff . I think that the sound is never going to be amazingly high quality, since it's recorded with a headset microphone wink
In reply to David Mestel

by Helen Foster -
Hi David,

Please could you try uploading your video to MoodleTutorials.org again, as the link you provide is for a video which is only 17 seconds long. wink