Course Creator Role in SubSub categories

Course Creator Role in SubSub categories

by Lesley Coe -
Number of replies: 4

Please help, I have asked many expert moodlers and have tried everything I can think of and more without any resolution...

Here is my Moodle Structure: 

Category: High School

o   SubCat: A High School

§  Math

§  History

§  Etc.

o   SubCat: Another High School 

§  Math

§  History

§  Etc.

I want the teachers (called "course creators") to be able to create their own courses at that third level (Math, History, etc..).  I have assigned roles to give them the right to create courses at both the SubCategory and Sub-SubCategory levels.  It LETS me set those rights at both levels.  BUT it does not actually GIVE the course creators the right to create the course at the Sub-Sub-Category level.  They can create courses at SubCat level (their specific high school) but NOT the lowest level.  I CAN create a course at that level as an administrator!  So I think it's possible… just a setting off or something.

Have you encountered that or do you have any ideas on what might cause that??  I thought maybe these are inherited rights that are allowing them to do this in the upper levels but not in SubSubCat.  But not sure if that's it, or how to fix it. 

So close and so frustrated...

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Lesley Coe

Re: Course Creator Role in SubSub categories

by Bill Click -

You can have course Catagories as your school names, and within each are the courses for each school.

Is this what you are trying to accomplish?

In reply to Bill Click

by Lesley Coe -
No. I have school names as my course categories and within each school I have department categories. I would like for teachers at those schools to have the capability of creating their own courses within their respective departments. I have tried many different combinations of role assignments but for some reason, teachers can only create courses within their schools and not within their departments.
In reply to Lesley Coe

by Ray Lawrence -
I've just tried the following on a 1.8.3+ site:

Cat 1 - user assigned as course creator here
Sub cat 1
Sub cat 2

The user can create courses i.e. the Add new course button is available in Sub ca1 & Sub cat 2 (and not in any other category on the site).

Which version are using?

In reply to Ray Lawrence

by Lesley Coe -
I am using 1.8.2+  and I am still experiencing the same problem.  I tried assigning the course creator rols at Cat 1, subcat1 and subcat2  to see what would happen.  It always worked in cat and subcat1 but not subcat2...