Chat from Course categoires page

Chat from Course categoires page

by Ji Ming -
Number of replies: 2

We have setup the Chat Module activity on our Course Categories page, the very first page, however only the admin can see it use it. Students and teachers can see it listed but get an error saying "Sorry, but you currently do not have permissions to do that (Talk in a chat)" when they try to access the Chat Module. Is there a way to have the Chat Module accessable to students and teacher as well on the first course categories page?

The Chat modules within courses can be accessed by admins, students and teachers without problems. Why can't the Chat

Ji

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ji Ming

Re: Chat from Course categoires page

by Luciano Rodriguez -
Ji,
Make sure they are assigned in as students.
In reply to Luciano Rodriguez

Re: Chat from Course categoires page

by Ji Ming -

Thanks Luciano,

All normal users are assigned as "students" and they can  all see the Chat Room listed on the Front Page but they still can't access the chat function from the Front Page. So I tried a few things. First I went to the "Site Administration" and under the "Front Page Roles" section I went to the "Overrides" section. Then I went to the "Student" role section and under this section turned "Talk in Chat" on under the "Chat" section. Well, this setting still doesn't allow users assigned to the "student" access level to use the Chat function from the Front Page.

OK, I reset the "Student" roles to default and tried the same thing under the "Override" section to the "Authenticated User" role. Still no use. Users logged in at the "Student" access level still can't access the Chat function. They all get this error message:

Sorry, buy you do not currently have permissions to do that (Talk in Chat).

I though that allowing ANY Authenticated user to use the Chat function at the Front Pag level would allow all and any authenticated user access to the Chat function.

Does it sound like I'm missing something here or this is a retriction or error in the code?

Any advice?

Ji