Has anyone here gotten Chat to really function - using 1.7

Has anyone here gotten Chat to really function - using 1.7

by Deb Sarlin -
Number of replies: 4
Greetings,
Our troubles....
Only the first post appears in the chat window,
further posts show up in the log - but not during the session.
Also we have experienced hangs ups, long transfer lags after the first user posts...a post once & then nadda problem.
IE 7 & firefox both seem to work, Sys Admin says it's not a network issue...
Anyone out there who has a functional tool in a 1.7 environment... can you get in touch or post some wise word here?

THANKS!

dsarlin@bard.edu

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Deb Sarlin

Re: Has anyone here gotten Chat to really function - using 1.7

by Steve Hyndman -

Deb,

I've been using Moodle for a long time, but have never really used chat for anything other than occasional "virtual" office hours. However, for the past year I've been working with a task force on our campus to "evaluate" Moodle as a possible replacement for BB. After some planning and training in the fall, we have implemented a small pilot this spring. We have an online program that uses chat a lot in the delivery of their classes and a "reliable/functional" chat utility is a must for that program.

A couple of weeks ago, we had 70 students attempt to join chat sessions (in about 7 chat rooms) in one class...after about 40 students logged on then system crashed. We have a great server/systems admin on campus and I sat down with him for about 2-hours yesterday and did a lot of server and Moodle tuning. Last night we had a second chat session with 70 students and everything went well. The professor had a "main chat room" where all the students logged into initially, then she sent them to break-out chat rooms for small group chats while groups rotated through the main chat room with her. We had around 70 students logged in chatting for over an hour and a half with no (chat) problems last night...we are still dealing with several other problems.

I think you will find that the chat feature is the single biggest resource hog in Moodle and addressing this issue will always require server and Moodle tuning--it's not strictly a server issue or a Moodle issue--it seems to be both. So, if your admin doesn't think it's a server issue, then you're probably not going to be able adequately address this problem.

Here is the email my server admin sent this morning after monitoring the server during the chat last night. We're running Moodle on a single, dedicated server with only 2gb of RAM, we're not running a chat daemon, and we're not using the stream method. We changed the chat_refresh_userlist to 60, chat_old_ping to 60, and chat_refresh_room to 15. Actually, while the chat was up on the first test, students complained that the window was scrolling too fast, so changing the chat_refresh_room from 5 to 15 helped them (they liked it better last night) and helped us significantly reduce the server load. We made several other server tweaks that my sys admin knows a lot more about that I.

Also, (in my opinion) you are using the absolute worst version of Moodle you could possible be using--1.7. It was a disaster when it was released and I don't think it has gotten much better since....in my opinion you would be far better off using any version before or after that version. As I indicated above, Moodle (or the Moodle version) alone isn't the complete answer to chat problems, but it sure won't hurt...being on 1.6, 1.8 or even 1.9 beta would be better than 1.7--in my opinion. We're testing 1.8 on our campus. I use 1.6 for all my "other" stuff. 

Just some food for thought...

Steve

In reply to Deb Sarlin

by Debora Weber-Wulff -
Definately! I have used it for years. I have taught using the Blackboard chat (bad), the Clix chat (horrible), diverse standalone chats, and the Moodle chat (could be better).

I have written a paper about teaching by chat, I can't publish it online, but I'll be glad to send anyone a copy who is interested:
"Teaching by Chat. In: Digitaler Campus. Vom Medienprojekt zum nachhaltigen Medieneinsatz in der Hochschule. Michael Kerres, Britta Voß (Hrsg.). Band 24, Medien in der Wissenschaft. Waxmann Verlag. 2003. S. 366-375" The paper is in English.

Moodle has its special moments:
* Older versions of Moodle using IE on a Mac had white writing on a white background. Duh.
* The chat is very sensitive to leaving the window. If you surf back to look at material, you are thrown out of the chat. We encourage students to open the chat in Firefox in its own tab, that works very well.
* People get thrown out for reasons unknown. I really suspect server problems. It happens with all browsers, on Macs & PCs. Firefox seems to be the stablest.
* I have mostly used chat for smallish groups, 15-20 people, although I have had the occasional 30. More defeats the purpose of a chat, that is, to have everyone say something. Don't misuse it for lectures for large audiences.
* It is really annoying that if you scroll back to see something, as soon as the automatic refresh comes, you are back at the current line.
* We had a problem with Moodle doubling what people wrote. Turned out to be a CSS problem with a Theme we borrowed somewhere smile
* It would be nice to be able to turn the protocol on and off like in Blackboard, so the students can chat after class without it being recorded.
* The layout could be vastly improved, a lot of screen real-estate is wasted.
* The smilies are annoying.
* You can't discuss certain kinds of computer science issues, as the HTML and PHP get interpreted ....
* We have a regular class for students on internship throughout the world. We have a forum for students who are unable to attend the chat to post their answers to the questions asked during the chat. This is also the bail-out solution for students who keep getting thrown off.
* The protocols are not very readable (but great to prove to administration that the course took place!), so I usually assign a scribe to write up a protocol of what we discussed and post this to a forum. Another sneaky writing exercise I get in smile

Experiment with it - chat is a great alternative, although I wouldn't want to teach all my classes by chat.
In reply to Debora Weber-Wulff

by Steve Hyndman -

Older versions of Moodle using IE on a Mac had white writing on a white background

In Moodle's defense...and you can trust me when I say I don't often do that these days smile...IE on a Mac is bad no matter what you're using it with. Maybe that's why they stopped developing it for the Mac 6 or 7 years ago smile

Steve

In reply to Steve Hyndman

Re: Has anyone

by Deb Sarlin -
Thanks Steve and Debora,

Sys Admin made some magic adjustments. Appreciate the posts!

MDL-7448" target="_blank" title="tracker on Chat" rel="noreferrer noopener">
http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-7448