Moodle with xampp for windows

Moodle with xampp for windows

by Jan Dierckx -
Number of replies: 4
I tried making a zipfile of my working XAMPP-with-Moodle-already-installed. Could this be a solution for people who want a copy of Moodle running on their own computer just for testing things?

Basically, I did the following:
- install XAMPP fro Windows (from www.apachefriends.org)
- remove some of the packages not needed
- install moodle 1.3 with only the English language pack
- create a database with the phpmyadmin included in xampp
- create a moodle datafolder
- make the appropriate changes in Moodles config.php
- zip the complete xampp folder

Result is approx. 17 Mb

Now if you unzip this file inside the rootfolder of drive C, you can skip a lot of the installation steps and directly go to step 20: visiting http://localhost/moodle/admin/
(I included a small readme.htm which explains some of the steps)

Some problems:
- The package as it is only works in c:\ You can of course install XAMPP in another folder and adjust Moodles config.php to refelct these changes
- I did not incude any mail facilities as I am using this version only to test things out before copying them to the production server.
- Maybe someone can have a go at removing other packages from xampp. I left all the packages which I wasn't sure of whether they were needed. (So I left a lot of them !!!) Maybe someone who is more proficient in Apache, MySQL can have a go at removing other packages from xampp.
- Does xampp allow a distribution like this? I included a link to their site and included their readme-files and licenses. But I haven't asked them for permission yet because...
- I'm not sure whether this solution really works. I tried unzipping and installing with this file and it works on my computer. Does it work for other people as well?

You can download the xampp for Windows with moodle 1.3 already installed at http://home.tiscali.be/llink/bestanden/xampp.zip

More about XAMPP at www.apachefriends.org
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jan Dierckx

Re: Moodle with xampp for windows

by Jan Dierckx -
In an earlier discussion (http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=8160)
Rob had difficulties installing Moodle with EasyPHP. I wanted to make it a little bit easier by providing this zipfile with an almost complete installation.
Now I reveived an email from him that he cannot download the file. Could it be that my provider does not allow downloading of large files? (then why am I able to download it myself?)
In reply to Jan Dierckx

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Depends on your definition of 'difficulty' smile - what *exactly* goes wrong?
In reply to Jan Dierckx

by Wen Hao Chuang -
Did anyone test this package and does the "sendmail" feature works right after installation on Win32 platform?? Many thanks!