Uploaded Images appearing as red X icon.

Uploaded Images appearing as red X icon.

by Craig Kuhlmann -
Number of replies: 16

I am extremely new to Moodle, but am loving every minute of it!

I have a problem with uploading images.  Any image that I upload appears as a red X icon when I try to preview it, add it to a quiz, or anything.  In the "insert image" area, I can even see the preview "shape" of the image in it's correct dimensions, but the upper corner appears as the red X icon.

I have Moodle 1.3 on Windows and have not had any error messages or anything.  Almost everything is still set to defaults since I'm really new to things.  I checked the that GD was installed, and it is auto-sensing GD2.x...

What am I missing???

Thanks in advance!!!!

-- Craig Kuhlmann
Technology Services
Burlington School District
Burlington Kansas

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Craig Kuhlmann

Re: Uploaded Images appearing as red X icon.

by Zbigniew Fiedorowicz -
Two possibilities:
  1. Try changing your slasharguments setting in the Administration Variables page
  2. Blank lines in your config.php file. Check for this with my script https://webwork2.math.ohio-state.edu/configcheck.php
In reply to Zbigniew Fiedorowicz

by Craig Kuhlmann -

Thanks for the suggestions.  I did both of these as you suggested, but I am still getting red X icons. 

Any other ideas out there....

Thanks!

Craig

Post the url for your site. I'll take a look at it.

Let me also mention another possibility.  If you are using the Webstar web server on a Macintosh, then I think no one has figured out how to make it work.  You probably would need to switch to Apache.

by Craig Kuhlmann -

Thanks.  No, we are using Windows XP Pro with EasyPHP1.7 (Apache, MySQL, PHP).  We will be moving over to an actual Windows 2000 server in the next month sometime.

Right now, we've only got Intranet access to the site.  We are setting up the Internet connection to it this afternoon or tomorrow.  Otherwise, I'd post the URL and welcome your looking at it.  If I don't find the solution to the images, I may have to post the URL for you to look at.  Thanks again!!!

-- Craig

Here's something you can try yourself.  Right click on the red X icon and select "Properties" in the menu.  Then copy the URL shown there and open that URL directly in your browser.  You might get a useful error message. (Try doing this with both IE and Mozilla.)

by Craig Kuhlmann -

I did this, and it just brought up a white IE page with the red X on it....unfortunately no error messages....

Thanks again!

by Ray Lawrence -

Have you the GD extension set in EasyPHP?

Configuration > PHP extension.

Attachment php_gd2.jpg

by Matt Riordan -

Hi Craig,

This might be off base, but could it be a permssions issue? Find you Moodle data directory (probably moodledata, but it does not have to be). Try changing the security (temporarily) so everyone has full access. If that then works, try tightening the security on the data folder until it breaks again. I ran into a similar problem on my Linux install - I had to loosen the initial permissions I had set.

In reply to Matt Riordan

by Craig Kuhlmann -

Thanks.  I keep thinking it's got to be permissions also...but I added "Everyone" to the users and gave full control to the moodledata folder... No luck.

By the way, I can sit down at the moodle server, go to the moodledata folder and actually see the pictures that have been uploaded from other computers -- and they appear correctly.  (We've made some sample quizzes, etc. and went ahead and uploaded/placed pictures on the quizzes figuring that when we get this solved they'll be viewable.)

I'm still open for suggestions!

Thanks -- Craig

by Matt Riordan -

You might need to make sure permissions propigation is on. If Everyone has full rights to the moodledata folder, the inside folders might still be locked down.

One other thing to check - make sure your config.php file is set right. Make sure the $CFG->dataroot is set corectly (with the full path - i.e. C:\moodledata). Make sure it is not a network path, but a local (mapped if needed) drive letter.

In reply to Matt Riordan

by Craig Kuhlmann -

Permissions were carried down.  The only difference between my dataroot and the one in your example was I had a lower case c and yours was uppercase.  I thought I might as well try everything, but the case of the drive letter didn't matter either.

by Matt Riordan -

Here's a question:

If you upload a Word document, is it available as a resource? It might help to know if it is pictures only, or if all uploaded files are weird (and unavailable). Also, are the pictures all one type (are they all tiffs)? If they are all one type, try uploading another type (like jpeg). All of my pictures are jpegs (if that helps).

In reply to Matt Riordan

by Craig Kuhlmann -

When I upload a Word document, it uploads fine.  However, when I go to open it as a student, it tries to open and then comes up with the "File Conversion" box with lots of ascii characters and such...so no, Word files aren't opening right either.

Also, I've tried jpeg, gif, and bmp picture files....

Thanks,

Craig

This very much resembles what happens if you have blank lines at the beginning or end of your main moodle config.php page or in your theme/yourcustomtheme/config.php file. Make sure you are editting those files with a plain text editor (e.g. Notepad), not some word processor - those might put in blank lines into the file regardless of what you do.

by Craig Kuhlmann -

Well, I didn't ever any spaces or extra lines in the config.php file, but I went back to the config-dist.php, and "redid" the settings in it for our organization.  It didn't fix the files we had already uploaded, but anything that has been uploaded now (Word files, pictures, etc.) are working great.

Many thanks to Zbigniew, Matt, and Ray for coming to my assistance!  The people on the Moodle forums are just great!!!!

Thanks again,

Craig Kuhlmann
Burlington Schools
Burlington, Kansas