Participants list showing role assignments, groups, groupings

Participants list showing role assignments, groups, groupings

by Martín Langhoff -
Number of replies: 7
I've been working on some enhancements to the Participants list. I've attached a screenshot, you can see the far-right menu has a new mode "enrolment details". I am merging this code into HEAD right now (not in 1.9 unfortunately, but not too hard to patch if you want to... or to merge later for a 1.9.1!)

The relevant tracker entry is MDL-12311 ...

I find it's useful to understand why a participant is there and spot multiple-roles amongst the crowd. It will show the plugin (if multiple enr plugins are enabled), the context of the assignment if it is not the course, etc. Specially in large sites with multiple enrolment plugins, and role assignments at categories/sitewide... smile

Testers, feedback and documentation welcome wink
Attachment participants.png
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Martín Langhoff

Re: Participants list showing role assignments, groups, groupings

by Ray Lawrence -
Nice one! Just what I need. smile

Does the table show role assignments at contexts "higher" than those to which the user viewing the table has access or is it limited to the settings in ".... Define Roles > Role assignments?
In reply to Ray Lawrence

by Martín Langhoff -

It will show any role assignments that affect this context - so yes, if you are in the course, and the RA is in the course-category, it will list it.

The table is only visible to users who can manage enrolments in the course -- even if those users perhaps cannot manage enrolment in the course category. With this patch they have good informantion when making those decisions around role assignments. wink

The idea is to provide a more complete picture to understand "who is here and why" in sites using complex role-assignment strategies...

by Just H -
Looks excellent, thanks Martin.

Anyone managed to get this working in 1.9?

regards
H
In reply to Just H

by Martín Langhoff -
The original patch was done for v1.9 but MD as we are on the final stretch for the 1.9 release, we skipped it and placed it in CVS HEAD -- for v2.0.

It might appear in v1.9.1 wink -- in the meantime, you can cherry pick the patch yourself, or (spam warning!) hire one of the Moodle Partners to manage your moodle install with special extra patches such as this one. Catalyst IT -- where I work -- offers exactly that service - this patch was originally written for one of our clients wide eyes

by Just H -
Hate it when I stumble on a post that I'd forgotten about months later!

Thanks again Martin, love cherries smile will bookmark and this time and have a look at HEAD when I get a chance.

Regards
H

PS I see no spam there, the work you guys do that benefits the whole community and the cash that flows back in to Moodle development due to Partner status surely deserves a bit of advertising in the forums now and then smile

by Séverin Terrier -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
That seems very interesting smile

Just hope we won't have to wait Moodle 2.0 (one more year) to have this available for everybody smile
In reply to Séverin Terrier

by Brian Peat -

Was anything ever done with this?

We discovered that if we make one of our admins a manager in a course, it removes the entire course list from the navigation. So as a work around, we added them as a manager to ALL courses. The problem then was that students recognized their names and thought they were fellow students. If there was a column in the Participants list, or some sort of badge that says Manager, it would be helpful.