Permissions - Restrictions

Permissions - Restrictions

by Annemarie Aliband -
Number of replies: 3

Hi

Wondered if anyone could help me, our Moodle site we need to restrict certain people to access our course,

We need one group that when they access courses and work can look arounf the site

And another group that can only access the courses we want them to without them viewing the rest of our site,

Is this possible if so whats the best way to do this?

Annemarie

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Annemarie Aliband

Re: Permissions - Restrictions

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi there! (I spent the first 18 years of my life in West Bromwich so when I saw "Birmingham", I had to helpsmile) It depends on what you mean by access courses and look around the site. If you put enrolment keys on your courses then only those people who either have the key or whom you enrol manually can get into the courses. If you want a group to be able to see inside all courses  then I suggest you make a new role and give it the capability moodle:course/view http://docs.moodle.org/Capabilities/moodle/course:view and then assign it in the system context and give this role to your group who  is to be allowed to see everywhere on the site. Note that by default users can always see the course names, even though they can't get into the courses. If you can say which version of Moodle you are using and also if I have got what you want correct, then we can offer some more ideas.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Annemarie Aliband -

Hi ! thanks for your response im using 2.2.2, we have specific training courses that all staff need to access which we don't set up enrolment keys for, we have an external group that want to use the specific training, but we don't want the external group looking around our site and going into departmental courses that we don't have control over so not all courses have enrolment keys if that makes sense

In reply to Annemarie Aliband

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

It makes complete sense but it isn't going to work if you allow self enrolment without enrolment keys -the external group is going to be able to self enrol in courses you don't want them to enrol in. I can only suggest  you either manually enrol your staff into their courses or you put enrolment keys on the other courses to prevent external staff accessing them.  There are other workarounds - you could put the other courses into  a hidden category and allow your staff to view hidden categories and not allow the external users to see them - but I think workarounds are more complex than merely shutting out with enrolment keys or manual enrolment.